U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:17 PM

65 posts, read 229,441 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We currently live in Perth, Western Australia (dry climate) and are considering moving to Melbourne, Florida as the houses are way cheaper to buy and the area looks beautiful. I've read good things about the schools there (I have a 10 year old son who will be going into the 6th grade possibly-he's doing K12 online schooling at the moment). My husband and I love warm weather, the beach, going on short road trips, going to festivals. There seems to be alot to see in Florida. I've read a bit about the area and so don't have too many questions to ask. I've gotten a grasp of the house prices, traffic, economy (I think). We are aged 46 and 44 respectively...so it seems to be a good place to settle in and retire eventually. He will be working 9 months out of the year in Australia and 3 months back in Melbourne.

My question is which is a safe, friendly suburb for my son and I to live in while he is away? I'm aware that no area is 100% safe but if there is one that is pretty safe could you let me know? Also, one that has good sidewalks for walking and maybe close to the shops so we could bike down? I have heard that it is pretty humid there...is that the case all day and night? And is it uncomfortable all year long? I have read that there are 7 months where it is very humid and 5 months where it is not? Is that true? Also, in regard to swimming in the ocean there.....are people able to do that year round or will it be too cold some months? Are there some months you have to wear a sweater? I love Mexican food and have heard that there are some good restaurants in Melbourne. I miss it as here in Perth...there are little to none.

Thanks so much for all your help and hopefully we'll get to make some good friends when we arrive there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 AM

12,022 posts, read 12,030,524 times
Viera, West Melbourne and beachside areas are the best if you are looking for good schools and proximity to nice neighborhoods. Not as much shopping on the beach

Old 09-04-2013, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the reply and info. I'm also a bit concerned re the humidity. Right now we live in a dry climate in Perth. I have never been to Florida so haven't experienced the humidity there. I have heard though that the summers are unbearable but the winters are brilliant in regard to being comfortable humidity wise. Can you tell me abit more about the weather? I honestly can't stand humidity but with the housing prices so low and with Melbourne looking so pretty, and it being so close to Disneyworld and everything else....maybe I can become adjusted to it. I know from living in Kansas the summers there you pretty much just stayed inside as the heat and humidity were just too uncomfortable...well for me anyway. I think as long as there is some period where it is comfortable to be outside, I'll be okay. I do like to walk for about 3 miles in the mornings and/or evenings also. Is that possible with the weather there? :-)

Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM

44 posts, read 156,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellainoz67 View Post
Thanks for the reply and info. I'm also a bit concerned re the humidity. Right now we live in a dry climate in Perth. I have never been to Florida so haven't experienced the humidity there. I have heard though that the summers are unbearable but the winters are brilliant in regard to being comfortable humidity wise. Can you tell me abit more about the weather? I honestly can't stand humidity but with the housing prices so low and with Melbourne looking so pretty, and it being so close to Disneyworld and everything else....maybe I can become adjusted to it. I know from living in Kansas the summers there you pretty much just stayed inside as the heat and humidity were just too uncomfortable...well for me anyway. I think as long as there is some period where it is comfortable to be outside, I'll be okay. I do like to walk for about 3 miles in the mornings and/or evenings also. Is that possible with the weather there? :-)
From one walker to another, it's best to go first thing in the morning, or as i prefer in the evening. Either is fine, but I prefer walking in the evening because there is usually a nice breeze coming in off the ocean. There are plenty of sidewalks around to accommodate walkers and runners, but I do miss walking a track. Just my personal routine. But walking around here is definitely doable.

The weather here is warm and mostly sticky, but it's really not that bad. We moved from the northwest which has very little humidity (almost none) during the summer as well as much cooler temps, so it's been a little of an adjustment, but again, not that bad. We tend to avoid doing outdoor things during the heat of the day, but if it's overcast, or late afternoon, the weather is quite lovely.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:56 PM

83 posts, read 153,177 times
I find it kinda mild this year, A/C in the car has been on since late June but after the sun sets it's great with the ocean breeze. Winters here are perfect for the most part, humidity not a problem. Walking over one of the bridges spanning the intercoastal is fun as the sun sets.

Good luck with the move

Old 09-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Sounds like it will be great for walking....thanks for the replies. :-) I'm really looking forward to moving to Melbourne, FL.....now to keep my eye out for rentals coming up in May 2014. We are hoping to find a 3 bed, 2 bath, pool home in Suntree/Viera (I have heard those are great neighbourhoods with community events). :-)

Old 09-15-2013, 12:00 AM

5 posts, read 17,224 times
I grew up in Satellite Beach and think it's a great place to raise a family, and also for retiring. The community is very closely-knit. Viera is also a great option if you are into newer development and more of a modern/commercial feel. The summer in Florida lasts approximately 9 months out of the year and it does get very hot and humid; I've lived in Florida for 23 years now and I'm still not totally comfortable with the humidity, but you learn to deal with it. Plenty of options to keep cool; beaches, natural springs, pools... Just drink plenty of water and dress lightly!

Old 09-19-2013, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the advice Vic. I've took a peak with google at houses at satellite beach and it does seem nice there also. Re the heat, yep, I don't plan on bringing any winter clothing over with me. :-) I know everyone says it will be hot..but better than struggling through Kansas winters for five months I think. I'm really looking forward to exploring Florida. I've heard there are great places to find sea shells in Captiva and people have told me there are a lot of festivals ect. I'm very much an outside person and trying to get my 10 year old away from computer games and get outside. I saw that Melbourne has an archery club...so that is an option as he has done archery before. Just a question...do you have to run your house a/c all year long day and night? And if so, are the electric bills really high there then?

Old 09-19-2013, 08:59 PM

3,718 posts, read 6,677,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellainoz67 View Post
Thanks for the advice Vic. I've took a peak with google at houses at satellite beach and it does seem nice there also. Re the heat, yep, I don't plan on bringing any winter clothing over with me. :-) I know everyone says it will be hot..but better than struggling through Kansas winters for five months I think. I'm really looking forward to exploring Florida. I've heard there are great places to find sea shells in Captiva and people have told me there are a lot of festivals ect. I'm very much an outside person and trying to get my 10 year old away from computer games and get outside. I saw that Melbourne has an archery club...so that is an option as he has done archery before. Just a question...do you have to run your house a/c all year long day and night? And if so, are the electric bills really high there then?
Don't make the mistake of leaving everything winter at home...bring, coat, gloves, hats.....won't need the snow boots, though. It does get cold here -usually a few days in Jan, Feb, or March. Lots of early mornings in the 40s or less some years. I think the coldest I remember was in the low teens at Christmas one year. Just 3 or 4 years ago it froze and lots of plants died.....lots of Palm trees, too. We lost 2 of our old big ones at one house and our date and bottle palms at the other.

You will use the air most of the year. Sometimes have the heat on in the morning and then by afternoon turn the air back on. Summers will be your expensive months and winter months are usually $50-$100 less.... unless you have to use heat for a long cold spell . If you are close to water or have a pool that the breeze comes over, you can sometimes get a cool breeze going through the house by opening windows and using fans, but sometimes just brings in the humidity when you open windows.

As for activities for a 10 year old....lots of different things to get into ....soccer, baseball,football,, gymnastics, surfing, dance, playing an instrument(elementary schools mostly teach strings and there is a youth orchestra), drama, scouts, swimming etc.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:07 AM

25 posts, read 60,255 times
Moved here from New England 15 years ago because of job change.
Dont let anybody fool ya,the heat and humidity is terrible from June to early October and the beaches are a no-no since it is hotter there and the water temp is mostly 80-84 degrees.(bathtub),nighttime temps are always in upper 70's.
A/C is a way of life in Florida,the rest of the year is great,weather wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County