U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 06:14 PM

591 posts, read 1,204,262 times

Advertisements

Or, "how do things normally work around here" may be a better title.

We moved here (not totally by choice, family reasons were involved) from out of state right before school started and rented a house in what is regarded as a good school zone, with a daughter that was an incoming seventh grader. I won't bother reciting the brag stats but suffice to say that whatever evidence a school would need to see she was a very advanced student, it was there. But because we didn't register until right before school, she was placed in the middle school's regular classes, not advanced classes. (Which suggested to us they had filled the advanced class lists ahead of time with students moving up from sixth grade.) OK, they didn't know us from Adam, it happens. What is concerning is that the school doesn't seem to have any sort of process (other than "go see guidance," which has been done) or timetable for making adjustments. I know that seventh grade is about the time that tracking begins with a vengeance in many districts, and we're concerned that she'll get stuck regardless of her grades, and the potential fallout from that. Like:

* How likely is it she'd be left out of the advanced track in eighth grade, no matter how good her grades are, if she's not in it by the end of seventh?

* How much difference is there, really, between advanced and regular sections in seventh grade? (Her teachers have tried to reassure us, but it's not working so far. )

* Would someone have any shot at the IB program at Melbourne High if they're not in pre-IB or equivalent in middle school? For that matter, would the "not advanced" designation follow her to high school?

* Are there any feasible options in the middle of the school year, if we get to the midpoint and nothing's changed?

* If we have to go out-of-area for eighth grade, where should we look?

* If it comes to it, what private schools are there with good academics and a snowball's chance of getting into without being wealthy?

(Home schooling is theoretically an option, but it's not practical for us except as a last resort. We also have a special-needs child, and besides, our daughter likes school.)

If anyone has any advice or experience, it would be a big help. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 07:51 PM

44 posts, read 159,405 times
I wish I could be of more help. We just moved here and enrolled my 9th grader at Viera High and had no problems enrolling her in AP classes. I'm really surprised to hear that AP classes weren't available to you. The way it works at the high school is that special programs such as Cambridge or ADAM enroll in the springtime, for the following school year. But, regular academic classes are assigned shortly before the school year begins so availability isn't an issue. Good luck to you.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:16 PM

591 posts, read 1,204,262 times
Well, it turned out to be much fretting about nothing. Her schedule was redone today and she's now in the advanced sections of everything. My apologies to the unnamed school for the frustrated things I didn't say out loud! But man, that was something we were worried about. As I mentioned, we're renting right now, but as soon as our old house sells, we'll be looking to buy. And it would have given us a long pause to buy in that school zone without knowing she'd get into the proper classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County