U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 08:48 AM

90 posts, read 120,781 times

Advertisements

We are still thinking of a move to Florida and trying to narrow down where. We're thinking Orlando or somewhere in Brevard. So,

What do you prefer about Brevard?

I'm not a huge shopper but I do like a decent grocery store and from our experience with Publix many years ago it didn't quite measure up (however, I'm talking 10 year ago, things may have changed!).

At off-peak times long does it take to get into Orlando from Brevard?

I have two children ages 9 & 11 so the schools in Brevard appeal to us as many are highly rated. However, do you find it boring to live there? What do the kids do as they get older? Is it convenient enough?

We don't go out much at night but we do like going for the odd lunch - are there decent places to eat?

I'd love to come explore but we're living overseas at the moment so trying to figure out options from afar. Thanks for any insight!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 11:10 AM

12,022 posts, read 12,662,533 times
Within an hour to Orlando from most Brevard area places. Nice being near the water. Less traffic.

Downsides are less high-end shopping and restaurant selection.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,896 times
Default Living in Orlando

I am in need of a quick education on Orlando life. I will be moving there for a new position and looking for a place to stay that is reasonable 700 or less 1 bdrm good quiet mature neighborhood? Any ideas?

Old 10-05-2013, 07:49 PM

44 posts, read 162,764 times
We moved here a few months ago and in making the decision to move, which was a year long process, we considered Orlando and Melbourne. The more research I did and the people I spoke to, the deciding factor came down to schools and crime, crime, and more crime!! This is what Orlando is on the news for everyday. The most grisly crimes I have ever heard of have taken place in the Orlando area. Home invasions and murders are daily news topics.

On the other hand Brevard has a much lower crime rate. I love that Brevard is close enough to Orlando that we can get there in about 40 min (from my house) and enjoy what it has to offer without living there. Brevard has a lot to offer in things to do as well. Beaches, zoos, historic shopping districts in downtown Cocoa and Melbourne, miles of walking trails, green spaces, kayaking, bicycling, shopping, and eateries. There are plenty of new places to eat that we still have a list a mile long and we've lived here for a few months now. There is also plenty of places to shop such as the Avenue in Viera, Hammock landing in Palm Bay, and the two area malls. Although I don't recommend Merritt Square Mall. Melbourne mall has seen better days, but it still has a couple department stores (Dillards, JC Penney), Dicks Sporting goods and the traditional mall type shops. I'm sure there are more places to shop that we haven't discovered yet.

In all, we're pretty pleased with all there is to do around here. We discovered kayaking and are constantly amazed by the wildlife that's visible. Manatee cove comes to mind and you can lose count of all the manatees and dolphins in the water. Another thing we enjoy doing is heading down to the beach and walking along the shore as the sun is setting and the evening breezes cool you down.

If you have family, Brevard is the place to be. Good luck!!

Old 10-06-2013, 02:35 PM

83 posts, read 158,852 times
I'm in E.Orlando a couple times a month for business, traffic is a nightmare crawl, I couldn't imagine living there, traffic, crime and tolls, just not my cup of tea.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:38 PM

11 posts, read 26,059 times
I work at the airport and do the drive from Titusville everyday, it takes between 25-30 mins. A small price to pay for a different lifestyle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County