U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 05:36 AM

5 posts, read 7,683 times

Advertisements

Hello all-

Currently live in Southbury CT and have an opportunity to relocate to one of my company's sites - in Orlando. I have two children (ages 8 and 7). Schools, safety, privacy, and medical services are the most important factors to me.

I don't mind up to an hour commute from where my place of work will be (close to OIA). From the online research I have done, Merritt Island and Longwood (zip code 32779 in particular), seem like they would be the closest fit for my priorities. Some convenience is good, but I don't really want to be in an area that has a 7-11 on every corner. I would Ike to be 8-10 miles away from any walmart.

I am considering leaving CT because of the back breaking cost of living and extreme left wing liberal culture. It's to the point for me now that the high cost of living does not justify what I once thought were some of the best public schools around. I think that many things up here are becoming very overrated, which include the medical services and schools. The arrogance and insular mind set of many is wearing very thin on me. I don't want my children to be exposed to this way of life/thinking anymore. I'm seeking to be around more of a middle of the road political climate maybe a little more right leaning.

Anyway, I'm looking to rent for a Couple of years. Would need a 3 bedroom home with garage. A pool would be nice, but not a nessecity. Budget is up to $1600/month.

Can anyone raising a young family lend some insight into the pros and cons of living in Merritt Island?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 02:43 PM

10,213 posts, read 13,695,412 times
Merritt Island is a great place to live, but, why settle for 2-hours of commuting time each day .... particularly with two young children in school?? Florida isn't Connecticut! People here don't generally spend hours commuting anywhere and your children would rather spend the time with you!

If your reason/s for moving to Merritt Island include the beach, yet, your work limits you to the Longwood area, why not simply 'commute' an hour to the beach every once in a while, instead of commuting to/from work every day? Additionally, with a $1600 budget, you might do better on housing in the Orlando/Longwood area, than on MI.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:23 AM

5 posts, read 7,683 times
I would be working by Orlando airport, with a mix of telecommunting and actual office time. Maybe 2-3 days of actually driving in to the office. The primary reason to choose Merritt Island would be for the schools. However, (as you mentioned), the price of real estate rentals is going to play into this as well.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 AM

12,017 posts, read 13,253,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someonesomebody View Post
I would be working by Orlando airport, with a mix of telecommunting and actual office time. Maybe 2-3 days of actually driving in to the office. The primary reason to choose Merritt Island would be for the schools. However, (as you mentioned), the price of real estate rentals is going to play into this as well.
Check out Lake Nona. Only hassle is the tolls, but it is an up and coming area with the continued building out of the "medical city" and it supposedly has good schools. You would be halfway between Orlando and the beach and right near the airport.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:16 AM

10,213 posts, read 13,695,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someonesomebody View Post
MI has pretty highly ranked high schools (athletics/academics), but, I've not heard much about their grade school programs. And telecommuting has certainly become the 'new normal', in many jobs.

Another thought about the distance. You will not be able to be as involved as you might like to be (or may need to be) in your children's school, programs, sports, etc. if you must work and also commute an hour either way to get there. We moved to Destin to be nearer to our daughter/grandkids and find that our proximity to their school lets us be more involved in their school ... than she can be with only a thirty-minute commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County