U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 10:46 AM

6 posts, read 8,277 times

Advertisements

My son is relocating from Twentynine Palms, CA to Melbourne/Rockledge area. We are trying to find information on good areas to live. They have children aged 2-13, so safe neighborhoods, good schools are important. They are looking to rent a place and are wondering what the avg electric bill runs for a 4bd/2ba house too.

Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 05:20 PM

232 posts, read 333,922 times
Interesting. My son-in-law just made E-8 and has orders from Twentynine Palms to Cherry Point, NC. They leave sometime in April. Is your son PCSing or separating, and if PCS, what's his new duty station? My wife and I just bought on Merritt Island, and are always willing to help Marines in need to the extent we can.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:01 PM

He graduates from Recruiting School at the end of February, will be out of Orlando but working in Rockledge.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:16 AM

This web site can help you narrow your search by school ratings. Here are the school ratings for Viera, Melbourne, Rockledge and Merritt Island. Granted, the ratings may be a bit subjective, but might help out in your search.

Believe it or not, utilities here aren't as bad as we thought they would be if one follows common sense usage. They won't have the temperature extremes here that they had in 29 Palms. That said, if they can find a neighborhood that's been plumbed for natural gas, so much the better. It reduces the cost of producing hot water, cooking and heat when needed. A/C is almost always electric, and if unmanaged, can cost a small fortune. Again, common sense is key.

Their kids will thank them if they can find a house with a pool... or a community with a neighborhood pool. It can help save mom & dad's sanity during the dog days of summer. Patrick AFB on beachside has a commissary and exchange, so that should help cut expenses.

You didn't indicate his rank, but assuming he's E-5+, he should be able to find something that meets his needs without going over the 2014 BAH.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on specific neighborhoods for the areas you mentioned. During our home search, we were trying to avoid standard housing tracts, so after a couple of visits in Rockledge and Viera, but pretty much focused on Merritt Island, which we fell in love with. However, there are other member of this forum that can provide all kinds of answers regarding neighborhood, etc.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:54 PM

Thank you and I will pass this on to him. He is at E6 and BAH is what controls the budget. Appreciate the information given and I will start looking around for him so they can make a good choice.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
This web site can help you narrow your search by school ratings. Here are the school ratings for Viera, Melbourne, Rockledge and Merritt Island. Granted, the ratings may be a bit subjective, but might help out in your search.

Believe it or not, utilities here aren't as bad as we thought they would be if one follows common sense usage. They won't have the temperature extremes here that they had in 29 Palms. That said, if they can find a neighborhood that's been plumbed for natural gas, so much the better. It reduces the cost of producing hot water, cooking and heat when needed. A/C is almost always electric, and if unmanaged, can cost a small fortune. Again, common sense is key.

Their kids will thank them if they can find a house with a pool... or a community with a neighborhood pool. It can help save mom & dad's sanity during the dog days of summer. Patrick AFB on beachside has a commissary and exchange, so that should help cut expenses.

You didn't indicate his rank, but assuming he's E-5+, he should be able to find something that meets his needs without going over the 2014 BAH.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on specific neighborhoods for the areas you mentioned. During our home search, we were trying to avoid standard housing tracts, so after a couple of visits in Rockledge and Viera, but pretty much focused on Merritt Island, which we fell in love with. However, there are other member of this forum that can provide all kinds of answers regarding neighborhood, etc.

Hope this helps.
Cl Newman I appreciate the help. I look forward to coming to Florida. I've been in 10 yrs and always had the comfort of base housing so actually renting off base is a new experience.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:42 AM

Any time. Check your private messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County