U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2006, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 18,327 times

Advertisements

Me and the family are thinking of moving to the Melbourne area from CA. We went out there about 5 years ago but my Wife wasn't too impressed with it. I liked things about it, but we are worried about crime, schools and so forth. We have a daughter who is 7 so schools are a big concern. Is it a good city to raise a family?? Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 05:23 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,087,932 times
Try Merrit Island instead if you can spring for the $$. South Merrit even better.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:24 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,087,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Try Merrit Island instead if you can spring for the $$. South Merrit even better.
Don't "worry" about it. Just do your research.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:39 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,435,397 times
Default Melbourne EX-Resident

J: Read your post and if you are coming from CA should have enough money for the higher ins, taxes, etc. We lived there for 12 years, two houses, Lake Washington area. Schools quite excellent most rated " A" ,county sup DePadri (?) high state ranking. If you have a specific need for Melbourne, Family, guaranteed employment, etc, or year round warm weather, enjoy. Many new condos being built. Roads very very crowded now. Wickham rd North & South link over-used. I-95 many morning accidents clog Palm Bay area. State trying to install median guard rails to stop Cross-Over Head on Fatal accidents, etc. House prices should be lower than a year ago. Many state and pan-handle retirees leaving for Tenn where housing and utilities, insurance are only 1 / 3 rd of central / south Fla.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:57 PM

504 posts, read 1,672,393 times
My daughter lives in Melbourne beach and six years ago I almost moved there, houses have gone crazy and the place is a boom town, it used to be quiet and all the small little beach towns were great, now insurance runs my daughter over 8000.00 a year on a 225,000 town house, a mile from the water, her boyfriend lives in Melbourne and its very expensive with insurance etc. The schools used to be great but its getting crowded, my grandson just graduated from Melbourne High and he was bored along with most of his friends. Florida schools are horrible, please do your research, private school is often an option. I hope you have a job waiting for you or a very good education or profession because good jobs are scarce. The newspaper Florida Today covers Melbourne and the surrounding areas, please do lots of research before you move to Florida. Your seven year old daughter will be at least a grade ahead of her classmates and they will not put her up that grade. Just because a school is rated A thats Florida standards not the countries, be wary.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:00 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,732,173 times
Agree with Split; Melbourne is great place but expensive. Check Palm Bay and bit of a drive, but you get more house for your money..

Old 10-22-2006, 08:01 PM

56 posts, read 335,850 times
We have lived around the general area of Melbourne since 1987. My husband's first job out of college was with Harris Corp. in Palm Bay. First we rented an apartment in Melbourne Beach, then bought our first home in Palm Bay (more affordable). When our oldest child was about to begin Kindergarten, we moved back to Melbourne Beach to be in Gemini Elementary's school district -- I did lots of research about the schools, and our first choice was Gemini, but a close 2nd and 3rd were Indialantic Elementary and Ocean Breeze Elementary (they are in the next couple of towns north of Melbourne Beach). Those 3 schools are all excellent; and if you are not looking on the beachside, I have also heard very good things about Lockmar in Palm Bay... A newer (growing) area near us is the north Melbourne/Suntree/Viera area where I also hear the schools are good. (But I'm much less familiar with that area than with the beachside). We have been VERY happy with Gemini Elementary, Hoover Middle School, and now with Melbourne High School. I would be happy to give you more info and/or try to answer other questions you have about the area. We have loved it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or