Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 08:10 AM

232 posts, read 398,035 times

Advertisements

We recently moved onto Merritt Island, and have a vacant lot next door. Some branches on trees from the vacant lot are entangled with power/cable/phone lines between the street and our house. I've called Brevard County Public Works, Road and Bridge and Code Enforcement departments (each agency referred me to the next) about who has legal responsibility for clearing this mess. Each indicated I should contact Florida Power & Light... which is my next call, though I know legal responsibility lies with the vacant lot owner, who I have not yet contacted. I was hoping Code Enforcement would come out, take a look and contact the vacant lot owner so I wouldn't have to be the bad guy.

I have also contacted a local tree trimming firm to get an estimate on having the work done, so I have that in hand.

What makes this interesting is that, according to the lady I bought the house from, FP&L has already been out, sprayed one of the offending trees, and it's this tree's dead fall that's still entangled in the lines. Though perhaps not an issue today, it will be an issue come the first big blow of the season.

So, has anybody else ever run into this situation? If so, how did you resolve it to everybody's satisfaction?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 06:53 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
We recently moved onto Merritt Island, and have a vacant lot next door. Some branches on trees from the vacant lot are entangled with power/cable/phone lines between the street and our house. I've called Brevard County Public Works, Road and Bridge and Code Enforcement departments (each agency referred me to the next) about who has legal responsibility for clearing this mess. Each indicated I should contact Florida Power & Light... which is my next call, though I know legal responsibility lies with the vacant lot owner, who I have not yet contacted. I was hoping Code Enforcement would come out, take a look and contact the vacant lot owner so I wouldn't have to be the bad guy.

I have also contacted a local tree trimming firm to get an estimate on having the work done, so I have that in hand.

What makes this interesting is that, according to the lady I bought the house from, FP&L has already been out, sprayed one of the offending trees, and it's this tree's dead fall that's still entangled in the lines. Though perhaps not an issue today, it will be an issue come the first big blow of the season.

So, has anybody else ever run into this situation? If so, how did you resolve it to everybody's satisfaction?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.
FPL trims the trees around their lines. Leave it to them. I think you're being a bit proactive.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:20 AM

Perhaps, but we came from an area where things would come back and bite you in the keister if you weren't proactive.

Anyway, I've been in contact with FPL, and they say they'll come out and take a look in 2-3 weeks. I'm fine with that, as long as they come out.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:31 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
Perhaps, but we came from an area where things would come back and bite you in the keister if you weren't proactive.

Anyway, I've been in contact with FPL, and they say they'll come out and take a look in 2-3 weeks. I'm fine with that, as long as they come out.
Yeah you may have to inform them (as you have here) but they usually take care of it.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:13 PM

FP&L came out today, but since their lines aren't in immediate jeopardy, they won't touch them.

Called Code Enforcement again, and they're going to send somebody out to take a look... especially after I explained other sections of the property maintenance code violations there are. So, we shall see.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:26 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,594 times
Are you talking about the larger diameter cable lowest on the pole? If so, that's telephone and cable. They don't do anything until it's broke. But since it's not going to electrocute anyone or start any fires....

Old 03-22-2014, 01:21 PM

Topmost is electrical... next 2 down are phone and cable TV. I used to hang cable for a living, and know the stresses. The electrical cables are wrapped around a wire rope "messenger cable", which is attached to the pole at one end and my house on the other.

The branches encircle the electrical, but haven't entangled it yet. Phone and cable TV are thoroughly entangled, and are coming down in the first sizable wind of the season. See the attached pic. The pole is on my property, but ALL the vegetation is on the vacant lot owner's.

The lot has other issues, if Code Enforcement takes the County's maintenance codes seriously (i.e., 4' high grass/weeds within 25' of developed property, etc.).

Will have to wait and see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Neighbor's Tree Branches Tangled In Our Utility Lines-cable-entanglement.jpg  

Last edited by clnewman; 03-22-2014 at 01:34 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 06:50 AM

80 posts, read 142,092 times
It will take them years to get around to it...

Call a tree company if it bothers you that much

Old 05-26-2014, 07:42 AM

It's already done. Bright House came out and took care of the stuff impacting them. I called AT&T for their lines, but they never bothered to show up. Since I don't use AT&T, I don't care. The rest I cut back myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
View detailed profiles of: