Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:37 AM

9 posts, read 16,935 times

Advertisements

I think you answer your own question, "there are not enough high paying jobs to support high real estate prices". Before the crash, prices went up a lot mostly because of investor speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 01:07 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
We live in MD in an area where 500K buys you a home built in the 80's about 2000sf plus a basement. Nothing exciting but a good neighborhood w great schools and pretty much all professionals (white collar). It is hard to imagine we can live close to the beach for less than that in a home that is not any older or smaller or seemingly less desirable. There are a handful of companies there in the Melbourne area like NG that have well paying professional jobs...but I guess if you get laid off there are not many other companies in the area so you have to move....as opposed to the MD/DC area where there are tons of jobs. So I guess maybe I am answering my own question....there are not enough high paying jobs to support high real estate prices?
Probably a reasonable assumption. Remember, the DC Metro is probably one of the robust job markets in the country coming out of the recession ("the government is never in a recession") Plus I believe the wage growth/levels are pretty good there from a national standpoint, as mentioned below:

Maryland families estimated to have highest median income in America | WJLA.com

That being said, Melbourne/Brevard does have some industry besides tourism and that has kept real estate prices higher than say Daytona Beach as example.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:41 PM

166 posts, read 353,115 times
Thank you for the responses. We are wondering because my husband can possibly get a job with his company there in the Melbourne area. We just worry there would not be much to fall back on like there is here. Also, we would have to go check out the area to see what it "feels like." Sort of tired of the MD politics (they literally tax the rain water!) and would like to move south. However, I am not sure how I would live without a Trader Joes, Whole Foods, or Costco! Those are my 3 grocery places and I must have at least 1!

Old 04-02-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the responses. We are wondering because my husband can possibly get a job with his company there in the Melbourne area. We just worry there would not be much to fall back on like there is here. Also, we would have to go check out the area to see what it "feels like." Sort of tired of the MD politics (they literally tax the rain water!) and would like to move south. However, I am not sure how I would live without a Trader Joes, Whole Foods, or Costco! Those are my 3 grocery places and I must have at least 1!
All of them are in FL.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:56 PM

166 posts, read 353,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
All of them are in FL.
Not in the Melbourne area.....over an hour away in Orlando yes. 2+ hour round trip for weekly shopping is rough!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:10 PM

232 posts, read 398,401 times
There's a Sam's Club in Cocoa... almost identical to Costco. Awesome Meat Dept. with great prices.

My understanding is there's talk of Trader Joe's opening a store somewhere on the Space Coast, but not sure if/when that will happen.

If you're shopping Trader's/Whole Foods for organics, there are a lot of organic markets in the greater Melbourne area. There are also some really nice Farmer's Markets in the area.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Not in the Melbourne area.....over an hour away in Orlando yes. 2+ hour round trip for weekly shopping is rough!
Yup. Bigger cities. Orlando already has a costco and whole foods. TJ is coming soon. I sometimes to go to WF when I am in Orlando for other reasons. The costco isn't too far from the airport.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:51 PM

20,391 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Not a regular Florida poster, just happened to skim across this topic as a headline from the main forums, and had a thought I wanted to contribute. Don't know how relevant it is.

I know that the beachfront homes in the Outer Banks in NC where I used to vacation had a serious problem because the beach was constantly eroding and otherwise changing shape. So an oceanfront house today might be condemned in a matter of years due to the ocean taking away so much land that the structure eventually was in the surf. They are all built up on stilts and all, but eventually a house can be simply too close to the sea. I've always wondered how owners handle such a loss, as far as their personal accounting and taxes and so forth...

I've heard about some beach erosion happening in FL, so *shrug*..maybe this happens there too?

Old 04-02-2014, 10:15 PM

7 posts, read 12,048 times
Default Make your research

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
They are typically older homes (50s-60s built) on tiny lots.

I bought 2011 a condo fees are not expensive. I have to admit you really have to do your own reseach. Did they keep everything up to date on repares? Do they have a money for big problems? The taxes? The area your neighbers? etc.. If I listen to everyone I would have never made the moves facts are facts. Ask for the proof. This help me for my decision. I thing most of the places need to be redone but there are still good places to buy but you need time to search. hope it helps

Old 04-08-2014, 03:44 PM

27 posts, read 51,416 times
Quote:
We have great local markets. In Indialantic there's the Green Turtle and the Jungle Organic market and several fish and meat markets nearby. I really enjoy these places and don't miss Trader Joes or Whole foods. There's also Sam's club and BJs in Melbourne if you want to buy in bulk.

One thing I love about this area is there's very little congestion. I'll pop into the Green Turtle on my way home and pick up something to prepare for dinner or somehting they have pre cooked. I can be in and out in a couple minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County