Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 01:04 PM

81 posts, read 209,701 times

Advertisements

All right... Here's an interesting question I have.

I work in a position with the possibility to telework from home up 4 days per week and my wife has a job that is a full time remote position. I currently live in the ATL area and work from home 2 days per week. My home office (working for the US government) is in Atlanta.

I was curious of your thoughts about the feasibility of my wife and I relocating to Merritt Island/Cocoa Bch//Rockledge/Viera/Satellite Bch, working from home 4 days per week and taking an AM flight from MCO to ATL weekly. Yes, a long day for one day but the rest of the week living in paradise...

Thoughts... Would you consider it? Of course, I would always be looking for something locally to make life easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM

232 posts, read 397,118 times
I telecommute now, living in MI and working for a company in California. I love it! But then, I don't have to travel weekly. It would be a long day, and the cost might become a factor if it's out of your pocket. I used to live out of a suitcase, and at my age, I have no desire to do that anymore. That kind of frequent travel wears on you.

I didn't do a ton of research on flights, but the cheapest I saw was Delta out of MCO for less than $300 RT. I suppose with proper planning and advanced purchase you could probably shave some $$ off.

Hell, if you can afford it, why not?

Old 06-24-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
I telecommute now, living in MI and working for a company in California. I love it! But then, I don't have to travel weekly. It would be a long day, and the cost might become a factor if it's out of your pocket. I used to live out of a suitcase, and at my age, I have no desire to do that anymore. That kind of frequent travel wears on you.

I didn't do a ton of research on flights, but the cheapest I saw was Delta out of MCO for less than $300 RT. I suppose with proper planning and advanced purchase you could probably shave some $$ off.

Hell, if you can afford it, why not?
If there is a fare sale, I could buy a month ahead of time for between $100 RT and $230 RT.

The OOP cost would be about an extra $800 per month but couple that with 0 FL state income taxes and only commuting 1 day per week might be worth it. Can I afford it? Yes.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:29 PM

2,741 posts, read 1,768,322 times
the thing that sticks out to me is the two airports involved, those are two of the busiest airports in the country. You're bound to encounter issues (delayed flights, equipment problems, weather issues) what maybe 10 - 20% of the time. Makes a long day longer. Add to that the number of children flying out of MCO (love kids, don't necessarily love flying with a plane full of them) and even no delays may try your patience at times.

I'd also spend the money and get pre-screened to avoid the long lines at security.

Doable but consider the potential issues you'll encounter.

I'm telecommuting from beachfront Cocoa Beach to Philadelphia, only need to be there physically a couple times a year, can't beat the view from my office!

Old 06-24-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
the thing that sticks out to me is the two airports involved, those are two of the busiest airports in the country. You're bound to encounter issues (delayed flights, equipment problems, weather issues) what maybe 10 - 20% of the time. Makes a long day longer. Add to that the number of children flying out of MCO (love kids, don't necessarily love flying with a plane full of them) and even no delays may try your patience at times.

I'd also spend the money and get pre-screened to avoid the long lines at security.

Doable but consider the potential issues you'll encounter.

I'm telecommuting from beachfront Cocoa Beach to Philadelphia, only need to be there physically a couple times a year, can't beat the view from my office!
Well, yeah, I can understand... I already have a free ride through security with my government employee ID so that isn't an issue. ATL to MCO is a once an hour thing on multiple airlines so while weather may be an issue, it's only 1 day. Obviously, folks here are very flexible so if there might be a weather issue one week, I would think that my supervisors would be a bit forgiving. We already do have a few staff working 4 days per week a ways from ATL (1 person is in Nashville, TN and drives down once a week for 1 day and then back)...

If there was a week I had to stay an extra day, I would crash with some current friends here...

Old 06-24-2014, 02:05 PM

153 posts, read 356,975 times
IMHO, I wouldnt do it even if its not about the money. 52 round trip flights per year ($10K +/-) plus 52 weeks of lining up transportation ($ ???) to and from on each end = you resenting living in "paradise" after the WOW factor wears off. Thats a big yearly burden.

If it were me and I absolutely wanted to do it, save the aggrevation and expense and work out a deal with your employer to go down to just 4 telecommuting days per week (3 day weekends!) or one full week per month in GA and the rest here in FL. Then you're living here, saving the travel expenses or getting it over all in one lump sum.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Vince View Post
IMHO, I wouldnt do it even if its not about the money. 52 round trip flights per year ($10K +/-) plus 52 weeks of lining up transportation ($ ???) to and from on each end = you resenting living in "paradise" after the WOW factor wears off. Thats a big yearly burden.

If it were me and I absolutely wanted to do it, save the aggrevation and expense and work out a deal with your employer to go down to just 4 telecommuting days per week (3 day weekends!) or one full week per month in GA and the rest here in FL. Then you're living here, saving the travel expenses or getting it over all in one lump sum.
Yikes, maybe I didn't make it clear... I was going to telework 4 days a week and travel to ATL on only 1 day... Schedule of my choosing.

I understand the expense for probably something like 45 R/T flights is probably going to run that $10K OOP and that is certainly an issue.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:22 PM

76 posts, read 134,794 times
You could always move to coastal GA and commute 4 hours by car once a week. Sounds pretty terrible as well but has to be much cheaper then flying if you have a fuel efficient car. But it would come down to what is more important, time or money. (driving saves money but takes longer) Just an idea. Or higher a body double in ATL and have him wear google glasses so you can see what he is doing and saying and tell him what to do.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:03 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,274,877 times
Why not just live near mco. Check out lake nona

Old 06-24-2014, 07:08 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,673,898 times
I like the idea. If you can afford it, give it a try. Merritt Island places you 45 minutes to MCO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County