Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 10:27 AM

120 posts, read 195,928 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I currently reside in Minnesota, but the opportunity has recently arose where I could relocate to a different location within our company. My wife grew up in Orlando, and has commented that she's wanted to move back to Florida for some time now.

We had a choice between Tampa, Jax, Miami, and Melbourne, and Melbourne. The Melbourne area was the most appealing to us, and it's only 1 hour away from our time share in Vero that we go to every year.

We have 2 young children, a 4 year old and a 1 year old. Schools are important, and we'd be looking at 4 BR houses, with a budget between $200-240k.

What areas should we be looking at, and what areas should we completely avoid? My office would be located just north of 518 off of N Wickham Road. Being reasonably close would be nice, but not a must.

Also the annual trip to our time share is happening soon so we will be able to come up to the area to check it out and look at some houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 11:15 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
It is less than an hour from Vero to downtown Melbourne FYI.

Brevard county has excellent schools. Look at Melbourne, and beachside areas like indian harbor/satellite etc

Old 06-27-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It is less than an hour from Vero to downtown Melbourne FYI.

Brevard county has excellent schools. Look at Melbourne, and beachside areas like indian harbor/satellite etc
Well, that will make vacation trip planning a lot easier.

The time share has been in my wife's family for years, which we inherited. I'm sure some of the novelty of traveling there every year will wear off living so close, but still a vacation nonetheless. She grew up in the Orlando area and that was their vacation time before school started.

I'll start poking around housing in the beachside areas. That would be definitely a nice to have, within walking/biking distance of the beach, but not a must-have.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:15 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,245 times
The beachside is nice, but you might struggle to find a good 4BR in the low $200s. Worth trying, though. West Melbourne is fairly close to your work and has good school zones, and would give you more housing options in that price range.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:36 AM

732 posts, read 968,311 times
Most people either opt for beachside or near I-95 for convenience of travel. Kind of up to you what you want on that. I once lived beachside but not in Brevard, I find beachside in Brevard hard to get places. Other places in FL easier to get from beachside to say I-95, but Pineda causeway is way to do it here if you wanted to live near the beach. Melbourne high is ok I suppose, not sure on eau gallie high, or the ones on beachside. I would look at the high schools if I had students even if they are not in HS, thus let that say something. But I would look at travel times and neighborhoods. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:05 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
The beachside is nice, but you might struggle to find a good 4BR in the low $200s. Worth trying, though. West Melbourne is fairly close to your work and has good school zones, and would give you more housing options in that price range.
yes budget for that size will be better for WM.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:40 AM

All good stuff to know, thank you to everyone who has responded so far.

Looking further into it, we're thinking of renting for a year to get a better feel for the area. Our budget would increase to the mid-200's for a house when we look to buy, and I would imagine that opens up more housing options?

Old 06-30-2014, 11:02 AM

593 posts, read 1,355,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketHauler View Post
Looking further into it, we're thinking of renting for a year to get a better feel for the area.
That's a really good idea, one you can still get away with since the kids are little. You'll be much more comfortable making that decision when you know your way around and you've seen all the neighborhoods.

Of course, you might have a house-love-at-first-sight moment during your time-share trip.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
Of course, you might have a house-love-at-first-sight moment during your time-share trip.
We've thought about that too. However, I don't think we'll have to worry about it too much as it makes more sense financially for us to rent for a year to save up money for a down payment.

Our 4 year-old has already commented that our new 'beach house' has to have a pool. I have to plan my route carefully to show him that not all houses have pools near the beach. Gotta love toddler logic.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:49 PM

232 posts, read 398,092 times
With a 4-yo, having access to a pool (yours or community) will help save your sanity during the dog days. You may not want to trek to the beach on a hot/humid one, but a trip to the pool is easy-peasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County