Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 06:15 AM

4 posts, read 5,892 times

Advertisements

Considering taking a job near UCF (east Orlando) with standard hours - show by 7-9am leave by 4-6pm. My wife spent her entire life living next to beaches on the panhandle. She would like to live on the beach or along Indian River for the lifestyle, breeze, beach access, etc. So, we've looked at homes anywhere from New Smyrna down south to Melbourne. We'd be looking to buy a home in the 200 or 300s. I worry that the commute would be miserable with traffic, tolls, etc. I can't seem to find anywhere under an hour commute and some of the coastal towns (i.e. Cocoa) seem sketchy. So, our dilemma is long commute with beach lifestyle or shorter commute but far from beach. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 07:45 AM

593 posts, read 1,355,653 times
The usual starting point for "commute to Orlando but live not too far from the beach" house hunting is Merritt Island.

You're correct about the mainland side by the river (i.e. along U.S. 1) not having a lot of great neighborhoods down that stretch.

Another option would be Viera, which is slightly farther away from Orlando and definitely farther from water, but is a popular place to live and should have plenty of options in your price range. Depending on where you are in Viera, it's probably ten minutes to the river/U.S. 1 and another ten to get to and over the Pineda causeway to the beach. If that isn't too far, that might be an option.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:06 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edavis44 View Post
Considering taking a job near UCF (east Orlando) with standard hours - show by 7-9am leave by 4-6pm. My wife spent her entire life living next to beaches on the panhandle. She would like to live on the beach or along Indian River for the lifestyle, breeze, beach access, etc. So, we've looked at homes anywhere from New Smyrna down south to Melbourne. We'd be looking to buy a home in the 200 or 300s. I worry that the commute would be miserable with traffic, tolls, etc. I can't seem to find anywhere under an hour commute and some of the coastal towns (i.e. Cocoa) seem sketchy. So, our dilemma is long commute with beach lifestyle or shorter commute but far from beach. Thoughts?
Unless you're actually going to be living beachside, it makes no sense to just be closer, like Merritt Island. If you'll have to get in your car to go to the beach do yourself a favor and be closer to work than the beach. You'll be going to work far more often than you'll be going to the beach even if you live one block away from the beach. Sucks but that's reality. I live directly on the ocean and it's a major part of my life but my toes are under my desk more often than they're in the Atlantic.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:30 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
I think Cocoa Beach would be your best bet. Prepare for a commute a bit less than or more than an hour depending on the traffic.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:18 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,908 times
consider beachside in Daytona Beach Shores or Port Orange. I'm sure you can find something in your price range, and those are good, safe neighborhoods along those stretches. Ponce Inlet might be too pricey, but that would be even better. I'd check it out.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:32 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
consider beachside in Daytona Beach Shores or Port Orange. I'm sure you can find something in your price range, and those are good, safe neighborhoods along those stretches. Ponce Inlet might be too pricey, but that would be even better. I'd check it out.
Too long of a commute imo. Better to avoid i4 and use the 528 if possible.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:21 AM

232 posts, read 398,282 times
I agree with ChopChop. I'd rather have a root canal than drive the I-4 every day.

There are 2 toll booths on the 528 east of the 417 and the total toll is $2 each way. 528 traffic is seldom horrible. Your route when you hit the 417 area will determine additional cost or not. 417 is another toll road. We lived in Kissimmee while house hunting, and it cost $5 each way in tolls for the 417/528. It took us about an hour + 15 minutes from Kissimmee to Merritt Island.

There are still housing values in Titusville, PSJ, Merritt Island, and points south. However, waterfront property is always at a price premium. Not sure you can find much on the water at your price point that won't require massive remodel investment. That said, if you can't be right on the water, then many other areas open up as opportunities. I would prefer to be "beach close" in a home I like than on the water in a home I don't like or can barely afford.

Just my 2¢.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:11 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Also, since you said the job is close to UCF Rt 50 is an option without tolls. Titusville is right on 50 so probably the closest to that area of Orlando, but it does not have houses on the beach because of the Space Center. It does have one of the best beaches in a National park, though. The national seashore is natural and always beautiful but is quite a long drive to get there. I have to say I like Titusville though for its small town friendly atmosphere and you can get some really nice homes for a good price.

When our son was going to UCF and we drove from South Brevard, we used to take 95 to 520 to Taylor Creek road, to 50 to Alafaya to avoid Friday I-95 bumper to bumper traffic and tolls sometimes. Loved the country feel of Taylor Creek Road.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:46 PM

11 posts, read 28,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
I agree with ChopChop. I'd rather have a root canal than drive the I-4 every day.

There are 2 toll booths on the 528 east of the 417 and the total toll is $2 each way. 528 traffic is seldom horrible. Your route when you hit the 417 area will determine additional cost or not. 417 is another toll road. We lived in Kissimmee while house hunting, and it cost $5 each way in tolls for the 417/528. It took us about an hour + 15 minutes from Kissimmee to Merritt Island.

There are still housing values in Titusville, PSJ, Merritt Island, and points south. However, waterfront property is always at a price premium. Not sure you can find much on the water at your price point that won't require massive remodel investment. That said, if you can't be right on the water, then many other areas open up as opportunities. I would prefer to be "beach close" in a home I like than on the water in a home I don't like or can barely afford.

Just my 2¢.
If you use sunpass those tolls go down to 87 cents a toll. I drive from Titusville to Orlando everyday at different times and it has never taken me more than 30 min door to door unless there is an accident and that has not been very often (knock on wood)

Old 06-05-2014, 02:40 AM

232 posts, read 398,282 times
I always wondered if the tolls were discounted for Sunpass users. We didn't make the journey often enough to warrant getting one. In hindsight, not having to stop at the booths to pay would have been a nice time saver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County