Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:36 PM

329 posts, read 387,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Well, thank you. I guess we all love living in our slum of Bayside or Turkey Creek or Deer Run or a thousand other areas in the city. Crime has gone down since the 90s every year and you don't know beans about what the cops answer down here. We had them out to our neighbors house 2 weeks ago just because there was a screen out of a back room of their house. They were here in 10 minutes just to do a well check on her. We also called them at our other house when a car stopped out in front late at night and they were there in no time. It was teens from beach side sitting in their car smoking pot.

Won't argue with you about what a great place it is to live because we will never agree; but I also won't throw barbs at where you live. Just because 20 years ago you had hard times here it does not mean the city is the same and that everyone will have your problems. We sure never did but we always were friendly and neighbors would watch out and protect us when my husband was out of town working.
though we never needed to be protected. <g> Shoot we have about 25 more schools here than back then and a whole different group of people'. I don't think there are as many of the punks who came down from the North and tried tagging the city and showing how tough they were all the time like there was back then. Personally, I have no complaints with the cops. They have always answered every call we ever made-even trivial. We have the system that if something is going on in your neighborhood they call. And if anybody is drowning or a search needs to be done in a pond, it will be our dive team that is called in.
Well, you are right. Clearly we will never agree about Palm Bay. I lived there from 1993 to 2007. I am only happy that my job takes me only as far as Robert Conlan Blvd and no further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 06:58 PM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crue cab View Post
Palm Bay. Stay away. I have lived in Brevard for 45 years. Lived in Palm Bay for 14.
1 car stolen.
1 home break in, and attack on wife.
3 cars broken into.
Odds and ends stolen from around the house.
You tell me, you want to live there?
The rest of the time, I have lived in Satellite Beach or Melbourne or Indialantic.
Maybe you are just a target. You really don't know what a slum is or maybe you are originally from Beverly Hills. I would say some parts of Melbourne and Cocoa are more "slumish" but to be honest those places dont phase me either compared to some places in Miami.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:01 PM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearMr.Met View Post
Debonair...It's funny that many people mention an area being boring at a younger age particularly suburbia, have big dreams of moving to a city where everything's happening...but then revert back to that suburban/rural life that we once despised because of it's "emptiness". As a teenager, my friends and I used to frequent Philly as much as we could considering we grew up only about 10 minutes south of the airport in the burbs. By my early 20's, I was living in Central NJ where NYC was an easy 35-40 minute commute by train. At that point, I would fantasize about owning a brownstone in Brooklyn or even renting a house in Queens. I loved NY. I've been through every boro of the city. I loved the atmosphere since that was the place to be. Philly then seemed small. Now, I'm still on the young side in my mid-30's but if I'm going to settle somewhere being that is the place where I rest after a long day of work, give me peace and tranquility. I don't necessarily want to hear car horns and chatter once I walk out of the front door.
Some people get older and mature. Some people really like the city no matter what age. I'm tired of it and not interested anymore. I never was a huge fan of NY. I have a lot of family that lives there. Connecticut is probably the only state I wouldn't mind living in the NE.

I would really not listen to the negativity of Palm Bay. There are many nice parts. The only bad thing I hear is the parts where the housing boom hit looks abandoned. More bang for your buck and very quite neighborhood.

Not sure if you will pay HOA fees unless you are going to be living in a condo. They usually include exterior and flood insurance, landscaping, general maintenance, and Trash pick up. It goes up if somebody doesn't pay and they can be quite pricy in some areas. The single family house HOA are typically very cheap. It all depends on what it includes.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:22 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Never will be like Miami. Plus the Hispanics in Palm Bay pretty much all of them speak English. It's definitely a growing town.
Depending on who you are, that could be a good or bad thing. I personally hope it never ends up like Miami. I like the balance of central FL in general

Old 08-18-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe you are just a target. You really don't know what a slum is or maybe you are originally from Beverly Hills. I would say some parts of Melbourne and Cocoa are more "slumish" but to be honest those places dont phase me either compared to some places in Miami.
Yea, it must be me. Lessee, I kept my yard up, but I did dare to have nice cars and trucks and a beautiful wife.
Yea, I can see how it was my fault.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:06 PM

26 posts, read 53,022 times
Sucks that this post has resulted to bickering, but then again as posts in the past have displayed... it's common in regards to Palm Bay for whatever reason. Let me comment, without taking sides.

For those not familiar with where I'm from... The Philadelphia area may be one of the most segregated locales in the country. Call me crazy but the demographics hardly lie. Philadelphia in city limits is slightly more black than white. People in the suburbs look at our metropolitan center as a problem. Murder, drugs, robberies, etc are the common association with the city of brotherly love. For decades, white flight has occurred here. The NE section (not the Greater NE) used to be Irish, Italian, and Polish but now there are few left. Basically, NE Philly is a drug hub of the tri-state area. Any former junkie I grew up with has their memories buying either in Nicetown or Kensington. South Philly was the Italian hub...was.... now the Italian market is primarily SE asian with a few actual delis left that have been there for years. Everyone has moved further out into the burbs. Only recently have young caucasian professionals moved back into the city, but have segregated themselves into maybe 3 different neighborhoods. As far as the surrounding areas, I personally know Delaware county. The towns that immediately surround Philly are primarily black, hispanic, and other non-Euro ethnicities...but you're looking at maybe 3-4 small towns at the most that consist of one district with primarily black students. Every couple miles traveled away results in more white faces that you see. Rarely are blacks or hispanics present in the outer suburban neighborhoods. I can recall even back in the 80's a black family moved into a house near my aunt's in Aston, PA. Once this was known sadly they woke up one morning to "N*****s Go Home" spray painted on their house. When I graduated in 1999, we had 6 black kids in our high school at the most. A buddy of mine, Jack, had his car keyed at school with the N word. The only "black town" near us was Chester, PA which was a couple of miles away. Chester for its size is kind of a war zone. Once the factories shut down in the late 70's and I95 was built which split the city in half, it turned into this since with no industry section 8 housing, projects, and rentals were predominant. At one point for a city of less than 30,000, they had 25-30 murders per year. Even as recent as 2 years ago, the small city issued a state of emergency in regards to gun violence. It's sad but the only white people that venture into Chester city limits primarily are junkies buying dirt level dope. Let me add, even though the township of Marcus Hook is 90% white, MH has been labeled as the lowest of the low amongst us white folks. The place is seedy, chock full of heroin addicts and corner bars and basically a poop stain to the school district that serves them... but once again socialized demographics. People who have kids that can immediately move out if they previously snagged a cheap rental or house for sale.

My point after all this is basically, that the South is often looked at as being segregated... but IMO I grew up in a segregated area. Segregation promotes violence or harsh attitudes from both sides. When you have minorities equal financial wise to white folks that are basically "pushed" out of a community, there's problems that go unnoticed. It's integrated maybe more in the past 15 years but is still obviously black or white. Many minorities will move a few counties over in regards to the history of Delco. Chester's school district is such a joke that the state has taken over. Even so, parents are being pushed to send their kids to charter schools. Around here, where you live is where you go... unlike other states, your address determines where your kid is educated. Kind of unfair IMO if lower income kids could get approved to a better school grade-wise. So IMO, PB seems like a county and not a town. With over 100,000 people, there's good and bad as with anywhere black or white. My town had 3,000 people maybe... my school district 7,000 maybe in the area of those three towns population-wise. District areas were drawn out in the 50's and 60's when things were still segregated. Go figure.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:39 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,176 times
I can't comment on every neighborhood in Palm Bay, but I do own two houses there and two empty lots. One house is in a little better area than the other. I still feel safe driving through either area. I have no issue stopping on the street and taking a walk around. Sure, you may see some "good ol boys" on some streets, just as there are others that have more diversity, and others that may be more of a particular ethnicity. With such a large area both geographically and population wise, you are bound to find just about anything and everything, which to me, makes it a true representation of the USA. You can take it for what it is, a middle of the road community that has some high end, low end and mostly middle class citizens. I feel it's an attractive area for many people, especially looking at what you can get for your dollar. To anyone considering Palm Bay, just take a ride around and find your comfort zone. I am are sure if not on one block, it will be on another.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,836 times
I am from Delaware County, PA and have just moved to Brevard County. I can not give an opinion on the areas/neighborhoods of Palm Bay as I have no first hand knowledge. I have been to the mentioned shopping areas, the 4th of July celebration at the college and it all seemed fine and normal to me. Most of the people we talked to when we started looking at this area told us not to consider it, especially if you want to use the public schools. We, like you, were considering it when we looked at the houses online. We were not going to buy anything until after renting for a year. We just didn't have the time to research Palm Bay so just decided to exclude it based on what we have read and/or been told. Also, on the fact that you get what you pay for (usually)! I have a 10th grader and just didn't want to take any unnecessary chances. This type of move is hard enough, with every unknown you can imagine and then some!! We looked at areas that used Viera High, Melbourne High and Satellite High. We looked at Viera, West Melbourne, Melbourne and beachside. We ended up beachside and we are very happy here. If you are working in Viera you might want to consider Cocoa Beach. It's closer to work and the high school IS SUPPOSED to be good. We looked in that area briefly but the commute was more than we wanted. You really need to come here yourself and look around. You really can't screw up that bad if you are just renting for a year. The problem will be if you don't like the area you are renting in and have to move to another area. This will effect the school district. Do you really want your kid/kids switching to another school 1 year later? Probably not, if you can help it. Every school has it's problems and every kid is different. Satellite High has a reputation of being snobby, stuck up. I don't get it because it's not Palm Beach or the Main Line! Again, I can't comment on that as I have no first hand knowledge. We continue to look at different areas for our permanent house. We have revisited Suntree, Viera, West Melbourne, etc. and still like beachside the best. North Melbourne Beach is my favorite so far.

I also, hate Pat's and Genoa's! The food is not terrible here. I lived over in Ft Myers 2 years ago and the food was mostly terrible! Lots of Philly people here. We like it better here then over on the gulf coast. Maybe not as pretty here but much better place to live (in my opinion). Florida can be a tricky place. It's not like up north. You have to like it here. It's not for everyone. If you can find that special town that works the first time you will save yourself tons of misery. That's why you have to rent and spend that first year looking extensively. I just thought that taking Palm Bay out of the equation would lessen the gamble.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:41 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaSea View Post
I am from Delaware County, PA and have just moved to Brevard County. I can not give an opinion on the areas/neighborhoods of Palm Bay as I have no first hand knowledge. I have been to the mentioned shopping areas, the 4th of July celebration at the college and it all seemed fine and normal to me. Most of the people we talked to when we started looking at this area told us not to consider it, especially if you want to use the public schools. We, like you, were considering it when we looked at the houses online. We were not going to buy anything until after renting for a year. We just didn't have the time to research Palm Bay so just decided to exclude it based on what we have read and/or been told. Also, on the fact that you get what you pay for (usually)! I have a 10th grader and just didn't want to take any unnecessary chances. This type of move is hard enough, with every unknown you can imagine and then some!! We looked at areas that used Viera High, Melbourne High and Satellite High. We looked at Viera, West Melbourne, Melbourne and beachside. We ended up beachside and we are very happy here. If you are working in Viera you might want to consider Cocoa Beach. It's closer to work and the high school IS SUPPOSED to be good. We looked in that area briefly but the commute was more than we wanted. You really need to come here yourself and look around. You really can't screw up that bad if you are just renting for a year. The problem will be if you don't like the area you are renting in and have to move to another area. This will effect the school district. Do you really want your kid/kids switching to another school 1 year later? Probably not, if you can help it. Every school has it's problems and every kid is different. Satellite High has a reputation of being snobby, stuck up. I don't get it because it's not Palm Beach or the Main Line! Again, I can't comment on that as I have no first hand knowledge. We continue to look at different areas for our permanent house. We have revisited Suntree, Viera, West Melbourne, etc. and still like beachside the best. North Melbourne Beach is my favorite so far.

I also, hate Pat's and Genoa's! The food is not terrible here. I lived over in Ft Myers 2 years ago and the food was mostly terrible! Lots of Philly people here. We like it better here then over on the gulf coast. Maybe not as pretty here but much better place to live (in my opinion). Florida can be a tricky place. It's not like up north. You have to like it here. It's not for everyone. If you can find that special town that works the first time you will save yourself tons of misery. That's why you have to rent and spend that first year looking extensively. I just thought that taking Palm Bay out of the equation would lessen the gamble.
My best friend is a realtor. Until she helped us she had never shown a house in PB. Taking us to see the houses we wanted to see, she was shocked at how wrong she was about the town. She no longer snubs Palm . Many areas are so much newer and nicer than some of the areas in other towns. We are not a bunch of slobs and criminals down here like some people tend to think. Sometimes I think some people lump us with areas of Melbourne or West Melbourne that are iffier than here. We are mostly families raising our kids who like sports and like to get out and enjoy life.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Never will be like Miami. Plus the Hispanics in Palm Bay pretty much all of them speak English. It's definitely a growing town.
Um, not "pretty much all". I work in an industry that is heavy Hispanic. Many of them bring in other people to translate for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County