Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:34 AM

329 posts, read 387,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
My best friend is a realtor. Until she helped us she had never shown a house in PB. Taking us to see the houses we wanted to see, she was shocked at how wrong she was about the town. She no longer snubs Palm . Many areas are so much newer and nicer than some of the areas in other towns. We are not a bunch of slobs and criminals down here like some people tend to think. Sometimes I think some people lump us with areas of Melbourne or West Melbourne that are iffier than here. We are mostly families raising our kids who like sports and like to get out and enjoy life.
There is "think" and there is "know" from first hand experience. Find me an "iffy" spot of West Melbourne and other than off University Blvd, show me an "iffy" spot of Melbourne.
Your realtor friend is not allowed by law to steer anyone anywhere also. So the fact she has never shown a home in Palm Bay is either she doesn't know that or hasn't been in real estate very long.
I lived in Palm Bay for 14 years. Biggest mistake I ever made was moving there. Best move I made was getting the hell out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 12:06 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crue cab View Post
There is "think" and there is "know" from first hand experience. Find me an "iffy" spot of West Melbourne and other than off University Blvd, show me an "iffy" spot of Melbourne.
Your realtor friend is not allowed by law to steer anyone anywhere also. So the fact she has never shown a home in Palm Bay is either she doesn't know that or hasn't been in real estate very long.
I lived in Palm Bay for 14 years. Biggest mistake I ever made was moving there. Best move I made was gettingthe hell out of there.
Do you really live in this area and not know from first hand experience any iffy areas of Melbourne? I am not going to name them but can think of several areas. Even in those areas there are some nice well kept homes and some really nice people trying to change things for the better.
West Melbourne is not just the new house areas, there are a some little streets with little run down houses just like any town.

As for my friend, I did not say she steers away, just that she had never shown any. Her office is in North Melbourne and beachside so had never really had anyone ask to see homes in the Southern part of the county. She did it as a favor to me. She had never really been to PB until she met me. BTW she has probably been in the business longer than you have lived, but not always in Florida.

We all need to live where we feel at home. A lot of us here feel at home and that is what counts. Never regretted moving to Palm Bay and it will soon be 40 years.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:49 PM

329 posts, read 387,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Do you really live in this area and not know from first hand experience any iffy areas of Melbourne? I am not going to name them but can think of several areas. Even in those areas there are some nice well kept homes and some really nice people trying to change things for the better.
West Melbourne is not just the new house areas, there are a some little streets with little run down houses just like any town.

As for my friend, I did not say she steers away, just that she had never shown any. Her office is in North Melbourne and beachside so had never really had anyone ask to see homes in the Southern part of the county. She did it as a favor to me. She had never really been to PB until she met me. BTW she has probably been in the business longer than you have lived, but not always in Florida.

We all need to live where we feel at home. A lot of us here feel at home and that is what counts. Never regretted moving to Palm Bay and it will soon be 40 years.
Lived in Palm Bay from 1992 to 2007. I live in Melbourne now, Fountainhead. I lived in Satellite Beach from 1970 to 1992.
There is nowhere near the crime in most of Melbourne than just about any part of Palm Bay.
And I am 51 and have been here, in the area since I was 6 years old. So, not sure how long your friend has been in the area. But I will take the bet.
Glad you enjoy Palm Bay, I can assure you are in the minority. Unless your standard of living was worse prior to. Like some inner city or dirt poor island in the Caribbean.
When you moved to Palm Bay 40 years ago, it was a lot different. I saw it going south from 1992 on. I moved there because many friends from school moved there. You could get a couple lots, run your ATVs and 4x4s and there was plenty of open land to enjoy.
Not long after people started moving in from other areas that brought plenty of crime and gangs. We were the victim of theft and a break in. Other friends had break ins and thefts down there. Look like you have money or anything nice, they will steal it. Funny, never had that issue in Satellite or now in Melbourne where we live.
I attribute it to the class of individual that lives in those places vs Palm Bay.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:05 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crue cab View Post
Lived in Palm Bay from 1992 to 2007. I live in Melbourne now, Fountainhead. I lived in Satellite Beach from 1970 to 1992.
There is nowhere near the crime in most of Melbourne than just about any part of Palm Bay.
And I am 51 and have been here, in the area since I was 6 years old. So, not sure how long your friend has been in the area. But I will take the bet.
Glad you enjoy Palm Bay, I can assure you are in the minority. Unless your standard of living was worse prior to. Like some inner city or dirt poor island in the Caribbean.
When you moved to Palm Bay 40 years ago, it was a lot different. I saw it going south from 1992 on. I moved there because many friends from school moved there. You could get a couple lots, run your ATVs and 4x4s and there was plenty of open land to enjoy.
Not long after people started moving in from other areas that brought plenty of crime and gangs. We were the victim of theft and a break in. Other friends had break ins and thefts down there. Look like you have money or anything nice, they will steal it. Funny, never had that issue in Satellite or now in Melbourne where we live.
I attribute it to the class of individual that lives in those places vs Palm Bay.
I really think you are just biased. You might really be surprised by my family. All I will say is we have been wined and dined by the CEO of one of the major investment companies just to meet us and they came to Palm Bay to do it. But hey, I guess we just enjoy the friendlier type people who live in a slum(your words). My family doesn't understand why we live here instead of Naples either; but would never choose the "hob nobbiness" of that area over real people like we have here. JMHO
BTW We looked at Fountainhead and didn't even consider the area. I assumed you lived in a different more upscale neighborhood, but hey one man's home is their home and if you are happy there that is what counts. I guess that shows how perspective goes into all our choices. For me that area is in one of those iffier areas of Melbourne that I mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County