Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 03:30 PM

127 posts, read 313,741 times

Advertisements

Trying to research possible retirement move and my husband wants to be near a beach.... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 03:49 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
You've obviously put a lot of thought and effort into your post (?)

Are you moving from/to Titusville and/or how near to Titusville do you want to stay?;
The entire coastline of Florida is a beach - what are you looking for besides sand, palm trees and ocean?;
How 'near' to the beach does your husband want to be?
Do you have any other criteria beyond 'near the beach?'

Old 10-09-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You've obviously put a lot of thought and effort into your post (?)

Are you moving from/to Titusville and/or how near to Titusville do you want to stay?;
The entire coastline of Florida is a beach - what are you looking for besides sand, palm trees and ocean?;
How 'near' to the beach does your husband want to be?
Do you have any other criteria beyond 'near the beach?'
So sorry....we are looking to move TO Florida and my husband would like to be 15 minutes from a nice beach....yes I do realize that the entire coastline of Florida is a beach but when I looked at a map I couldn't tell if the area straight out is beach or NASA...... We looked in Viera and although the beach looked like it was right there on a map it was a 25 minute drive from the home we were in.....he would like closer....

Old 10-09-2014, 05:06 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
My vote, depending your budget would be Merritt Island. Depending on what part and how much you want to spend, you should be no more than 15 minutes away from the many of the access points to Cocoa Beach.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
My vote, depending your budget would be Merritt Island. Depending on what part and how much you want to spend, you should be no more than 15 minutes away from the many of the access points to Cocoa Beach.
I was told the insurance for a house on Merritt Island would be very high....looking to downsize our bills. We will go up to $250000

Old 10-09-2014, 06:34 PM

There are plenty of houses in the area for a lot less. For $250,000 you can still get a canal front property. Or a newer home in one of the many nice gated or "gated like" communities. If you get something away from water but fairly close to a firehouse, you should be fine insurance wise, especially if it is a block home, has a roof put in after 2005 and proper hurricane coverings on all windows and doors. There are cheaper houses just south of 520 and some nicer ones if you continue further south. Between 520 and 528 there are many choices in different neighborhoods. Many starting from $99,000 for an older one needing updating to the $160's range that may be already renovated (flipper houses are stemming up all over now). North of 528 you will find more gated and newer homes, but check insurance rates as distance to fire department can negatively effect the insurance (as will a wood frame home vs. the cheaper to insure cement block home).

Do you need a pool, large backyard, waterfront for a boat, 2,3 or 4 bedrooms, older style, newer with high ceilings, updated or not? All will effect price as will the neighborhood. That is what I like about Merritt Island, something for almost every budget. It's also why you need to spend days or a week at least to really see the many neighborhoods and then know what you are comfortable with. Feel free to PM me if you need a good realtor. It's my hobby as well as my main investments.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:23 PM

Pool, 3 Beds and as new as possible!! Will keep you in mind!

Old 10-09-2014, 08:00 PM

83 posts, read 175,903 times
Go east from the Max Brewer bridge and enjoy Playalinda beach, life time senior pass is $10, great surf and unspoiled wilderness, plenty of free parking.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:21 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellamint View Post
So sorry....we are looking to move TO Florida and my husband would like to be 15 minutes from a nice beach....yes I do realize that the entire coastline of Florida is a beach but when I looked at a map I couldn't tell if the area straight out is beach or NASA...... We looked in Viera and although the beach looked like it was right there on a map it was a 25 minute drive from the home we were in.....he would like closer....
If you choose live in Titusville you only have the 1 choice of close beaches directly East of Titusville. The Space Center is directly East. It takes 15 minutes or more to get out to Playalinda(the National Seashore) but it is worth it. It is a long beautiful drive out where you get to see Florida at its best! It is definitely a natural unspoiled beach. There is no running water at the beaches there, but there are restrooms at all ?13? parking lots......They are port-a-pottys inside a real building, but they have a flush and there is antibacterial station for your hands. You have to bring everything you will need for the day like plenty of water and food etc. There are nature trails and great fishing out there. But......if the space program heats up and they start launching manned flights the launch pads are close to that beach and they used to close the road for security reasons whenever there was a rocket on the pad. People in Titusville would then have to drive North or South to get access to a beach.

Now if your husband considers a great beach to be one that has an active boardwalk with food,games, rides etc. There really isn't one near Titusville. Daytona Beach is the closest for that type atmosphere at the beach.
Check out all the towns beach side in Brevard County. You can find condos and sometimes houses a few blocks from the beach in that price range. They may be older homes that have or have not been remodeled but definitely worth a look. For the most part insurance is not that much more than I pay on the mainland 10 miles in; so don't rule out even Merritt Island and Cocoa Beach either. Look in Indian Harbour, Satellite Beach area because they seem to be the most affordable in the area.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellamint View Post
Pool, 3 Beds and as new as possible!! Will keep you in mind!
Plenty to choose from in Merritt Island, possibly Cocoa Beach and Satellite Beach. All will have good to great proximity to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County