Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 02:59 PM

161 posts, read 262,573 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
hubby and I just got back from spending a week with friends on Merritt Island. Hubby is getting ready to retire, and this past winter (we live in the Poconos) was unendurable for both of us. We want to get a house on the Space Coast, close to Merritt Island. We'll start by doing the snowbird thing, not sure if we want to live there year round.

We plan on going back in October to look for a rental of some kind. I figure house hunting will be easier while living down there, and it will give us a chance to see what living there is like before committing to buy.

We looked at a house in Palm Bay while we were in FL. It was a lovely little house, well kept and cute and within our price range. It was just a bit too small for us though. We liked the Palm Bay area. There was a lot of shopping, and it seemed to be a growing area.

From looking in real estate magazines and online using Zillow, it seems there are tons of homes in our price range- which is around $150,000-$200,000.

I'd like to be as far away from I-95 as possible. For 24 years I have lived with the hell of being too close to I-80. I will not repeat that mistake, especially in FL, which is flat- because sound carries. Also want to avoid flood zones. We also would prefer not to live in a community with *amenities* that requires dues and have too many rules and regulations. We don't have kids/grandkids, and are looking for a quiet neighborhood. Don't want an over 55 community either...

Any suggestions as to which neighborhoods to look at, and which to avoid?

We're also not ruling out Merritt Island, although most of the homes are out of our price range. Will also consider Melbourne, Cocoa, Rockledge, or Titusville. We want to be within a half hour or so of the island so we can visit our friends often.

Anyway, would love to hear from folks who live in the area who can give us the pro's and con's. Thanks! All info appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 06:18 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit99 View Post
Hi folks,
hubby and I just got back from spending a week with friends on Merritt Island. Hubby is getting ready to retire, and this past winter (we live in the Poconos) was unendurable for both of us. We want to get a house on the Space Coast, close to Merritt Island. We'll start by doing the snowbird thing, not sure if we want to live there year round.

We plan on going back in October to look for a rental of some kind. I figure house hunting will be easier while living down there, and it will give us a chance to see what living there is like before committing to buy.

We looked at a house in Palm Bay while we were in FL. It was a lovely little house, well kept and cute and within our price range. It was just a bit too small for us though. We liked the Palm Bay area. There was a lot of shopping, and it seemed to be a growing area.

From looking in real estate magazines and online using Zillow, it seems there are tons of homes in our price range- which is around $150,000-$200,000.

I'd like to be as far away from I-95 as possible. For 24 years I have lived with the hell of being too close to I-80. I will not repeat that mistake, especially in FL, which is flat- because sound carries. Also want to avoid flood zones. We also would prefer not to live in a community with *amenities* that requires dues and have too many rules and regulations. We don't have kids/grandkids, and are looking for a quiet neighborhood. Don't want an over 55 community either...

Any suggestions as to which neighborhoods to look at, and which to avoid?

We're also not ruling out Merritt Island, although most of the homes are out of our price range. Will also consider Melbourne, Cocoa, Rockledge, or Titusville. We want to be within a half hour or so of the island so we can visit our friends often.

Anyway, would love to hear from folks who live in the area who can give us the pro's and con's. Thanks! All info appreciated!
Since you have friends on Merritt Island, I say go for Merritt Island. There are less expensive homes up there than the million dollar ones on South Tropical Trail. Also check out Satellite Beach, Indian Harbour, and Indialantic beachside not waterfront.

I would avoid Cocoa. Palm Bay could take an hour to get together with your friends depending on where yoou buy. Bayside area is the nicest area but is pretty far south so takes a while to get places. We love it here in Palm Bay, though. At night you can sit outside and see every star in the sky. I-95 divides the city though. We used to live 3 blocks from it when we lived in the NE sector and rarely heard traffic-maybe once in a blue moon we heard trucks. Rockledge-I would stay closer to Viera than US1. Titusville has that small town feel. Friends live in the Hickory Hills area and it is pretty nice there.

Use this in your search.... Brevard County Public MLS | BrevardMLS.com Just click on public and put in a town.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:04 PM

Default thanks!

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Since you have friends on Merritt Island, I say go for Merritt Island. There are less expensive homes up there than the million dollar ones on South Tropical Trail. Also check out Satellite Beach, Indian Harbour, and Indialantic beachside not waterfront.

I would avoid Cocoa. Palm Bay could take an hour to get together with your friends depending on where yoou buy. Bayside area is the nicest area but is pretty far south so takes a while to get places. We love it here in Palm Bay, though. At night you can sit outside and see every star in the sky. I-95 divides the city though. We used to live 3 blocks from it when we lived in the NE sector and rarely heard traffic-maybe once in a blue moon we heard trucks. Rockledge-I would stay closer to Viera than US1. Titusville has that small town feel. Friends live in the Hickory Hills area and it is pretty nice there.
I've been looking on Trulia and I am noticing the commute times to Merritt Island are about 45 min-1 hour- which is surprising. But again- depends on where you are. The house we looked at wasn't far from the Bass Pro shop and it took us just under 1/2 hour to get back to our friends house.

I have not ruled out any of the other areas you mentioned- we are open to all of them if we find a quiet affordable place that isn't in a flood zone.

Last trip to Merritt 2 years ago we looked at a few homes in north Merritt and we both loved that area, but prices have been steadily rising.

At our age no more fixer-uppers. Been there, done that, never again. Life is too short. lol

Thanks for the suggestions! :-)

Old 07-03-2015, 09:42 AM

[quote=mrsfixit99;40262665]
Quote:

I've been looking on Trulia and I am noticing the commute times to Merritt Island are about 45 min-1 hour- which is surprising. But again- depends on where you are. The house we looked at wasn't far from the Bass Pro shop and it took us just under 1/2 hour to get back to our friends house.

I have not ruled out any of the other areas you mentioned- we are open to all of them if we find a quiet affordable place that isn't in a flood zone.

Last trip to Merritt 2 years ago we looked at a few homes in north Merritt and we both loved that area, but prices have been steadily rising.

At our age no more fixer-uppers. Been there, done that, never again. Life is too short. lol

Thanks for the suggestions! :-)
I actually work up by the Bass Pro Shop and in morning traffic I have to plan 15-20 minute drive to get to work from where I live and it is probably only about 10 miles south of Palm Bay Rd. What street were you looking on behind Bass Pro? Some of the subdivisions from the early 70s were built by General Development and need a good inspection . Make sure if a General Development home that electrical has been rewired. There are some houses by the old Country Club eyesore that were pretty nice. It is a shame the golf course is deserted and destroying prices there, now. I imagine they will eventually build houses on it. Check out the subdivisions off Cogan Dr. and South on Babcock street at the edge of town near Sunrise Elem. NE section has some pretty decent houses in the Lockmar area worth checking too.

Palm Bay is known to flood when we get 10 inches of rain in a few hours, so check for deep canals which will hold the water better than the shallow ones. Most homes have been built on fill so make sure it is high enough to keep water out of home if the street does flood. Check for whether you will be on city water and sewer or well water and septic. I hate, hate septic tanks! We have city water now.....we couldn't drink the well water even with the reverse osmosis

Old 07-03-2015, 02:19 PM

Default good info, thanks

[quote=Rabflmom;40268503]
Quote:

I actually work up by the Bass Pro Shop and in morning traffic I have to plan 15-20 minute drive to get to work from where I live and it is probably only about 10 miles south of Palm Bay Rd. What street were you looking on behind Bass Pro? Some of the subdivisions from the early 70s were built by General Development and need a good inspection . Make sure if a General Development home that electrical has been rewired. There are some houses by the old Country Club eyesore that were pretty nice. It is a shame the golf course is deserted and destroying prices there, now. I imagine they will eventually build houses on it. Check out the subdivisions off Cogan Dr. and South on Babcock street at the edge of town near Sunrise Elem. NE section has some pretty decent houses in the Lockmar area worth checking too.

Palm Bay is known to flood when we get 10 inches of rain in a few hours, so check for deep canals which will hold the water better than the shallow ones. Most homes have been built on fill so make sure it is high enough to keep water out of home if the street does flood. Check for whether you will be on city water and sewer or well water and septic. I hate, hate septic tanks! We have city water now.....we couldn't drink the well water even with the reverse osmosis
The house we looked at was on Tilberg- don't remember the cross street. It was near the Bass Pro, not behind it. And it did look like an older development, although the house was well cared for and updated.

Who do you recommend for inspections? We got screwed on our current house by a crooked inspector. YES- we plan on having it inspected, but want an inspector who won't take a payoff from the owner to pass it.

What problem do you have with septics? Our Merritt Island friends have one, and it's fine for them. They have city water where they are (Bridgewater development). I have lived with a septic here for 24 years and have no issues. We get it pumped every couple of years and we're good. I thought the sand down there would be less of a challenge to a septic system than the rocky clay soil we have in PA...

I am using Google Earth to check houses I am interested in, so I can check for any ponds, canals, schools or other things I don't want to be near.

I have heard the well water is horrid all over the place down there, so yes, I will check for city water.

Thank you- you have given me a lot of helpful info.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:22 PM

Default looking at google-earth...

[quote=Rabflmom;40268503]
Quote:

Check out the subdivisions off Cogan Dr. and South on Babcock street at the edge of town near Sunrise Elem. NE section has some pretty decent houses in the Lockmar area worth checking too.

Palm Bay is known to flood when we get 10 inches of rain in a few hours, so check for deep canals which will hold the water better than the shallow ones. Most homes have been built on fill so make sure it is high enough to keep water out of home if the street does flood.
I'm looking at Cogan Dr and Babcock St right now on Google Earth. They look like nice, quiet, even rural areas. The Lockmar area (if I'm looking at the right spot) is way too close to I-95.

The only thing that scares me about houses with a lot of open land around them is what if they sell it and developers build like crazy all around you... that has to be factored in. We are experiencing that right now as the Pocono's is becoming the new water park capitol of the world... while our property taxes continue to spiral out of control...

I just found a couple of plugins for Google Earth that use FEMA data and will overlay flood zone info over the area you're looking at. Sweet!

This gives me an idea of areas to look at, so thanks again for your input!

Old 07-04-2015, 12:09 PM

[quote=mrsfixit99;40272480]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post

I'm looking at Cogan Dr and Babcock St right now on Google Earth. They look like nice, quiet, even rural areas. The Lockmar area (if I'm looking at the right spot) is way too close to I-95.

The only thing that scares me about houses with a lot of open land around them is what if they sell it and developers build like crazy all around you... that has to be factored in. We are experiencing that right now as the Pocono's is becoming the new water park capitol of the world... while our property taxes continue to spiral out of control...

I just found a couple of plugins for Google Earth that use FEMA data and will overlay flood zone info over the area you're looking at. Sweet!

This gives me an idea of areas to look at, so thanks again for your input!
One thing about Palm Bay almost every area has undeveloped lots in them. Palm Bay has about 90 square miles of roads which means the area is larger than the area for the city of Miami and we only have 104,000 or so people. So welcome to development. LOL One of my friends 30 years ago took the advice of her parents to build a house so the kids would always go to the same school. In the end her oldest went to 5 different elems. without them ever moving. as each new school was built, their street was in the new schools boundary. LOL I think it will get that way here again now that things are picking up. I have noticed that a lot of Open Houses are happening again and those pretty much syopped happening in 2008.

Cogan is not bad. I think most have city water or can have it brought in to the houses. Our house that 1 of the son's is buying is out in that area. We loved living in that area. We are more in the Bayside area now so a little farther West. Check out the homes closer to Emerson off Cogan, too. That area was ready to build before the housing bust and is building up, now. It is a walkable area close enough to get to the stores on Emerson and Cogan. It also has the Majors Golf course right there, too if you are golfers.

Oh, BTW in answer to why I hate septics from the other post. I hate not being able to bleach whites, I miss having a garbage disposal, and I hate the hassle and cost of having them pumped. Unfortunately our inspector missed the fact that the owner of this little house we live in now had never pumped it in 20 years. First big rain the drain field had standing water, we had a houseful of company, and the toiilets backed up because it was draining so slowly. Now I think the raintree roots are causing some problems in the drainfield, I would rather get sewer than pay the $5-$10,000 to redo the septic, but the city is not doing sewer system just adding water to areas. There are 2 many septics in this whole county nd for that reason definitely have well water tested often if you get a house with a well.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:17 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,011 times
I am partial to Merritt Island. I think you will find an older (mid 60's) home in decent shape for under 200K, maybe even in the 150K range. These will have city water and sewer. Best to hook up to a good realtor who can set you with an MLS list with homes that have your specifications and price points. Better than Trulia or Zillow.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Default Merritt Island...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
I am partial to Merritt Island. I think you will find an older (mid 60's) home in decent shape for under 200K, maybe even in the 150K range. These will have city water and sewer. Best to hook up to a good realtor who can set you with an MLS list with homes that have your specifications and price points. Better than Trulia or Zillow.
I'm just using Trulia and Zillow to get an idea of what's available. We still intend to rent before we seriously consider buying.

Yeah, Merritt Island is special. We both love it there. But a lot of Merritt just got rezoned as flood areas, so that's a bit scary. Looking at the flood zone overlay using Google Earth is very scary. I don't want to wind up having to pay thousands a year for flood insurance.

But nothing is off the table right now. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:35 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,249 times
I have relatives in western Palm Bay off Malabar Rd. Nice developments and areas there, pretty quiet too. I wouldn't worry about too much building going on, since the market crash there's been very little. Many developments had to lower their prices, now is the time to buy. Plenty of shopping nearby, but the only private butcher/meat market is up in Melbourne near the airport, if you will be interested in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County