Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:29 PM

6 posts, read 13,745 times

Advertisements

I have read past post but most are going back to far on best areas to live. Looking for last couple of years (2013-14) since crime can get worst in areas (or better). I need informative information and not setting off arguments. Just want to know what area's tend to have more problems. So far I see Viera, Suntree, Merritt Island and the Lake Washington areas are really good? I would also be interested in good private schools. I was born and raised in North Florida near Gainesville, but now live in Georgia where the Air Force retired us 8 years ago. Even our area in central GA has crime, some gangs and drugs. It is like that everywhere nowadays. Just some areas are worse. I want to move into an area if I went to work, I didn't come home to a burglarized home. Or my 15 yr. old son can go outside to play basketball and not have to worry about safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 06:57 PM

593 posts, read 1,356,117 times
I don't think things have changed much. I'd add West Melbourne and, of course, the beachside communities to the worth-looking-at list.

There may be others with which I'm not familiar, but the main private high schools I know are Melbourne Central Catholic, Holy Trinity Episcopal and Merritt Island Christian. There's also Florida Prep Academy (just changed the name from Florida Air Academy), which has a day-school option but is more of a boarding school.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:00 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Brevard has some good areas (including those you mentioned, plus Beachside areas: Indian Harbor, Satellite, Indialantic - that are not financially out of reach) .... Then, like most places, there are some less desirable areas. Check the Brevard Thread under Florida and you should find all the information you care to sort through.

What other criteria do you have in mind beyond 'not a lot of crime or gangs?' Your price range and home criteria will be a big factor.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:05 PM

Default Homes with land

My husband really doesn't want to be on top of another house. So we will look for an acre or more. Nothing on the market at the moment in the price range we want that is not like 30 years old! We will look up to $550,000 to spend. I wish we could bring my house we are in right now down there! A realtor that I spoke to in Cocoa saw the photos and said we could get over a million for it there. We want to down size some since the oldest is 24 and the youngest is 15. This is our house listing. So if you know anyone that is transferring up this way for Robins AFB or Northrop, it is for sale!
REALTOR.com - Real estate listings & homes for sale

As you can see by the bathroom pictures, you see my Florida influence and the beach. Growing up in North Florida not far from Saint Augustine and Cresent Beach, I miss the beaches!

I home school my youngest son right now but I am getting burned out on that. So is he. He was bullied in public school and was getting bad migraines. I am hoping to find a good private school, non-denominational or Christian.

Since we are retired military, we have the option to rent base housing till we find what we really want or to build. This will be our 16th move and I am getting to the point I am tired of it and want this to be the forever house. Moving back home to Florida because my parents health issues and need to be closer to help my younger sister with them. I will be two hours away, but better than over 4!

Old 02-10-2015, 03:38 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Check out homes available on the mls list. For more land you might want to look at Deer run in Palm Bay and homes in Malabar. It will put you arther from the base but the homes are on an acre or more. Many have out buildings and horses are allowed.

Brevard County Public MLS | BrevardMLS.com

Old 02-11-2015, 05:45 AM

232 posts, read 398,491 times
Even at a 0.5 acre lot size, you more than likely won't be "on top" of another house. There are many very nice homes on Merritt Island that fall into the 0.5+ acre criteria and meet your price range.

When we were shopping around last year, we were looking for large lots, too. We checked out a few and realized that an acre is a lot of land, and depending on how it's landscaped, could involve more upkeep than we really wanted. We decided to scale back on the lot size (we're on about 0.3 acres), so we could spend more time enjoying what we bought instead of doing (or paying for) yard maintenance.

Just my 2¢. Good luck in your search.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
Even at a 0.5 acre lot size, you more than likely won't be "on top" of another house. There are many very nice homes on Merritt Island that fall into the 0.5+ acre criteria and meet your price range.

When we were shopping around last year, we were looking for large lots, too. We checked out a few and realized that an acre is a lot of land, and depending on how it's landscaped, could involve more upkeep than we really wanted. We decided to scale back on the lot size (we're on about 0.3 acres), so we could spend more time enjoying what we bought instead of doing (or paying for) yard maintenance.

Just my 2¢. Good luck in your search.

Our house right now sits on .76 acres and it is not enough! When I can hear my neighbor open and close his garage....my house is fully bricked with a barrier block insulation.... we are too close! We have a riding tractor so an acre to mow is nothing. I am one of those weird people who actually loves yard work. My husband liked this 11 acre home in Titusville, but the house isn't big enough, no pool and there really isn't any good high schools there. Especially private. Now that is a little to much acreage. If all my family wasn't in Florida and my parents were not having health issues, we would of stayed up here. More house and land for the money! Thanks for your input! This is the home I will be leaving.

Job Relocation-2015 best areas to live in Brevard Co.-img_0677.jpg

Old 02-12-2015, 09:38 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,818 times
You have a better chance of acreage in north Merritt Island (north of 528). You may find multi-acreage lots that you can build on and possible a few for sale with a house, but at higher price points. I think Malabar was mentioned earlier where larger lots are prevalent. Cocoa too has some areas, but you need to see (visit, drive by, investigate) the area to see if it's right for you. Remember too that Florida is flat. Any open lot, with few trees and bushes will carry noise even on large lots. Best to find a well established area of mature trees around the property to help naturally block sounds, if that is a concern.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:07 AM

232 posts, read 398,491 times
Agreed. The northern part of the island tends to have a decent selection of larger lots. It was one of the areas we researched before settling down near Harbor Point. We must have looked at 50+ properties before deciding last year.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:12 PM

732 posts, read 969,394 times
I enjoyed West Melbourne for the few years we lived there, though there were some strict HOA's we found so watch that. I loved Palm Bay Rd area.

I found Viera not to our liking, super expensive houses take long to sell, etc and was not for us.

Suntree is nice.

Lake Washington is so varied it is all over the place.

I don't like the slow motion of Merritt but if you like that it can be for you perhaps, but it takes long to get places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County