U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 10:58 AM

144 posts, read 245,002 times

Advertisements

OK, so the beaches in Pinellas County are beautiful and win awards for some of the best beaches in the country. Destin beaches win the best sand award (I have been told that so don't hate).

I don't care for Daytona Beach because all the driving on the beach and wanting to be away from cars and exhaust when I am at the beach -- but to each their own if you like that.

We are a family of four (one son away at college) but the other son is 11 years old, honor student and cross country/ track runner -- schools are important.

Areas that I am planning on looking at are

Melbourne (West Melbourne and beach area
Merritt Island
Viera
Satellite Beach
Indialantic and Indian Harbor Beach

We would be renting and would be spending about 1600-2400 a month... Of course we want to be as inexpensive as possible, but if a great house in a great area comes along at 2400 we can afford that amount.

We lived on Redington Shores on West Coast, FL -- loved walking to restaurants, biking and all the beach offered.

We love to have a small garden in a raised bed so an acreage situation isn't needed. Are there any Farmer's Markets in the areas I listed?

Bike trails and/ or parks in any of the areas? We love to bike, roller blade and obviously run.

Schools are important, but it seems the schools in any of those areas are great and all have honors programs. Which school seems like it has the most community pride and support?

So, is there one of those areas that we could afford within our budget? Husband works from home so commute isn't an issue... just your normal family who enjoys the beach lifestyle but don't want to raise a beach bum, just a coastal beach lover who still wants a school that supports students who are athletic and smart. I did read that two Melbourne High cross country students graduated and ran for Duke University. Our son is only 11, but that is his dream school and he hopes to also run there one day.

Thanks so much for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 11:04 AM

144 posts, read 245,002 times
We like homes that have nice counter tops, floors, pool or water. Need a 3-4 bedroom. Great neighborhood where parents feel safe with their kids running over to a friends house down the road.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,226,117 times
All the areas you mentioned have their pluses and minuses but none in my opinion are bad. My advice is to visit each area and their schools, during school hours so you can see the student body and meet some of the faculty. Riding through the neighborhoods at different times of the week and day, all will help you see what you are most comfortable with and then you can decide. Viera will have the newest cookie cutter type homes with usually smaller lot lines. The beach areas are nice if you like to walk to the beach and enjoy the breezes. Merritt Island is a good valued area. Drive around and see what you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County