Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:21 PM

113 posts, read 141,769 times

Advertisements

[quote=clnewman;38620223]Don't forget the disadvantage of tornadoes in Tulsa. Way more tornadoes than tornadoes/hurricanes in FL.

Actually FL has more tornadoes than OK. Source NOAA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 02:45 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,740 times
I would say Tornadoes are not dangerous like the ones in Tulsa they are more likely to be water spouts and not last as long according to my research.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:20 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,011 times
I think for the OP, tornadoes and hurricanes should be lower on the list of reasons to move or not move to a particular place. In this case, economic well being with a job, family support, and overall quality of life should be the main focus.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:33 AM

75 posts, read 117,444 times
I live in OKC and bugs have never been a big problem, but ice storms are, and the summers in Ok. can be hotter than Florida. I lived in Palm Bay for 18 years, and fire ants were a bigger problem than roaches. I got used to the summers after about 5 years. I have lived in both and I will retire back to the west coast of Florida, if that tells you anything.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:36 AM

Dazed, what do like better about the west coast? My friend recenly bought a house in Port Charlotte and plans to eventually retire there (he sails and the canals there are better for sail boats). I was down there in January. Very quiet and definitely a lot older in demographics than Brevard. I liked Punta Gorda better, but still nothibg that made me say it would be better than Cocoa Beach or Merritt Island.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:13 PM

75 posts, read 117,444 times
There are fewer hurricanes on the west coast, and at least in the areas I am looking a much lower crime rate. I didn't have a very high opinion of either Cocoa Beach or Merritt Island when I lived there. Understand that I also don't have a high opinion of OKC either, it is at the crossroads of I-40 and I-35 and has a high level of drug and sex trafficking. What we need are drug maps for normal people, for surely wherever drugs flow easily so does crime.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:09 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Have you checked out housing costs between the two?
Not really, thus the question. Although the way the OP originally phrased it, it sounded like there was a huge difference just in the moving phase, as opposed to the staying phase.

Anyway, housing in Brevard isn't all that expensive by national standards, especially if we're looking at medians instead of averages.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:27 PM

I think if you look at the historical storm maps, you find that there are more storms on the Gulf side, especially devastating ones. Charley destroyed a lot of Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda ten years or so ago. As for illegal activities, you will find that all over as well, unfortunately.
I guess it all depends on where you are going and what is important to the person going there that makes one area better than another. Ultimately, it is a personal decision.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:09 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,317,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
Not really, thus the question. Although the way the OP originally phrased it, it sounded like there was a huge difference just in the moving phase, as opposed to the staying phase.

Anyway, housing in Brevard isn't all that expensive by national standards, especially if we're looking at medians instead of averages.
Melbourne is more expensive than tulsa as an example
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Mlb got a 99, tulsa an 85. U.S.average is defined at 100. Tulsa is cheap I guess

Last edited by Yac; 03-13-2015 at 07:57 AM..

Old 03-02-2015, 05:51 AM

232 posts, read 398,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpafr012 View Post
Actually FL has more tornadoes than OK. Source NOAA
I was being somewhat somewhat flippant in my response. That said, you almost never see FL tornadoes make the national news, whereas you see news of horrendous tornadoes in the Tulsa every year. Anyway...

If finance is the OP's main motivation, Tulsa wins hands down. When beginning to factor in weather and quality of life, I personally think FL moves ahead. To me, it's all about the big picture.

That's just my 2¢, YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County