Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 06:35 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,501,140 times

Advertisements

Whats the deal with Cocoa Beach using smelly sewage water to water lawns? Who approved this? Everywhere you go the lawns being watered smell like a Staten Island landfill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 06:40 PM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
I don't know the specifics for your area but the use of treated waste water (which has to be purer than what comes out of your tap although it's usually loaded with nitrogen)) is being done nationwide by municipalities to irrigate public planting areas.

I imagine some areas with new construction may have run dedicated lines to private areas, also. I know that's been discussed here in MD.

http://www.iamb.it/share/img_new_med...49_50hamdy.pdf

Recycled Wastewater Safe for Crop Irrigation, Study Says

Old 03-17-2015, 07:13 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,178,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Whats the deal with Cocoa Beach using smelly sewage water to water lawns? Who approved this? Everywhere you go the lawns being watered smell like a Staten Island landfill.
Are you sure it is not just unfiltered well water? It usually has a yellow tint and smells like sulphor.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:49 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
I'm in Cocoa Beach and haven't smelled anything. Our reclaimed gray water for irrigation doesn't smell. Maybe you're smelling rotting sea grass pushed up against the Banana River shoreline by the west winds of the last few days.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:06 AM

685 posts, read 720,807 times
You are smelling the sulphur from the well water.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:33 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,501,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
You are smelling the sulphur from the well water.

Ok thanks for clarifying........

Would that be in the household water as well. I notice the shower water has a smell and the water isn't safe to drink with all the Flouride.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:59 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,529,975 times
Not sewage water.. the water in Brevard county has a very heavy iron content plus sulfur the reason you see the stains on walkways.
The reclaimed water for lawn & golf course is reclaimed water from the sewage plant.. not potable water.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:11 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,178,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Not sewage water.. the water in Brevard county has a very heavy iron content plus sulfur the reason you see the stains on walkways.
The reclaimed water for lawn & golf course is reclaimed water from the sewage plant.. not potable water.
....and that is why they put the signs along the roads and places where they do use it, telling us what it is and not to drink it. I have never really noticed a smell from it anywhere that they use it. The Indian River was stinking pretty badly this week in spots. Its smell is carried with the wind and you sometimes can smell it a block away from the river.

Our well water we use for watering the grass here does not smell like the well water from our old free flowing well we had back in the 70s and 80s.That water was nasty smelling, but we still used it to fill the pool. This well must be pumped from a deeper well than even the well at our house built in 2006. BTW all free flowing wells are capped now. Funny story from the early 80s. One time when my husband was building condos up in Hilton Head and gone for the week, the pressure from the free flowing well was so high it blew the tap right off of it and spewed water about 10 feet high. The kids played in the front yard "fountain" while I worked trying to put the tap back on the pipe. It took forever but I managed to get it on and reattached all by myself! The neighbors sat on their patio watching the show as I got wetter and wetter. The older man came over after I had the tap back on to help......

Old 03-19-2015, 08:41 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
....and that is why they put the signs along the roads and places where they do use it, telling us what it is and not to drink it. I have never really noticed a smell from it anywhere that they use it. The Indian River was stinking pretty badly this week in spots. Its smell is carried with the wind and you sometimes can smell it a block away from the river.
I think this is what the OP was smelling. The west winds had the stinky stuff that is usually on the west side of the Banana River pushed over here in places this past week. With the wind shift, it'll be gone and back to the usual salt air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
View detailed profiles of: