U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:51 PM

118 posts, read 994,202 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about moving to Cocoa Beach.... but the crime rate seems a bit high there. Any ideas as to why this might be? Would you feel safe living there year-round?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 04:04 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,504,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phriend View Post
I was thinking about moving to Cocoa Beach.... but the crime rate seems a bit high there. Any ideas as to why this might be? Would you feel safe living there year-round?

Where did you read that? I think you might be talking about the city of cocoa not cocoa beach they are two entirely different places.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 PM

32 posts, read 172,749 times
I live in Cocoa Beach. My family has lived here for over 35 years and we have never heard of any friend or neighbor who had any type of break-in, mugging, etc. I think in some of the bars in the tourist areas on the beach you might have some type of crime, but not in the residential areas. I keep my door unlocked during the day, and feel safe. My kids ride their bikes around the local neighborhood, and they are fine. I used to live in a very upscale area of a large city, and kept the house locked and the alarm on all the time. (Although it was a beautiful neigborhood with great neighbors, break ins were not uncommon there. In fact, a neighbor was murdered by an intruder) It is not like that here. Cocoa, which is on the mainland, as Alphaman said, has more of a reputation for crime.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:18 AM

4,167 posts, read 8,306,646 times
You also have to consider that some of the numbers may be skewed by the incidents taking place on or near the beach by people just visiting the sand and the bars. This may have little effect in a residents day to day life.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 PM

8,749 posts, read 16,687,315 times
I would ignore the above poster.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:41 AM

18 posts, read 18,094 times
Bump. It's now 2015. Does anyone have any new comments about the crime/safety of Cocoa Beach? Is it still relatively low?

Old 10-04-2015, 02:57 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,885,889 times
The crime rate numbers are figured in incidents per 100,000 residents. For a town of less than 12,000 like Cocoa Beach the numbers can be misleading. Unless you hang out at the Inner Room you are unlikely to encounter crime of any kind in Cocoa Beach other than flip flop theft. I did have my bike borrowed about 25 years ago. Nothing since.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:22 PM

120 posts, read 165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitum3d View Post
Bump. It's now 2015. Does anyone have any new comments about the crime/safety of Cocoa Beach? Is it still relatively low?
Beachside typically has lower rates of crime, all the way down through Melbourne Beach. I don't think you have to worry too much about it. Other 'historic' areas of Cocoa however...

Old 10-07-2015, 04:41 AM

81 posts, read 202,687 times
We moved here in July and had some of the same concerns when I looked at the statistics prior to moving. I can say now after settling into the community. We absolutely LOVE it! It feels incredibly safe. We are in the downtown part of Cocoa Beach which feels like a world away from the tourist area. It is so full of life here like no other place I have ever lived. In the last 2 months I've rode my bike to the Farmer's market, the beach, a parade, to get dinner. Grown ups and children are seen all over town biking..which is so refreshing. It feels very Mayberry like here..in a cool way if that makes sense?

Old 10-07-2015, 07:35 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,885,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalu View Post
We moved here in July and had some of the same concerns when I looked at the statistics prior to moving. I can say now after settling into the community. We absolutely LOVE it! It feels incredibly safe. We are in the downtown part of Cocoa Beach which feels like a world away from the tourist area. It is so full of life here like no other place I have ever lived. In the last 2 months I've rode my bike to the Farmer's market, the beach, a parade, to get dinner. Grown ups and children are seen all over town biking..which is so refreshing. It feels very Mayberry like here..in a cool way if that makes sense?
Welcome to our little community. Sounds like you fit right in. I have been calling it Mayberry-by-the-Sea for years. How bout that surf for the last three weeks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County