Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 10:14 AM

227 posts, read 728,121 times

Advertisements

Looking for some insight on Palm bay areas that are better and those to stay away from. I know Lockmar is always mentioned as one of the best but I never hear what areas are the worst, or anything that is up there with Lockmar (buy not as far as Bayside Lakes).

Could someone who actually knows Palm Bay weigh in please. We are considering a couple of different areas in Brevard (north and south) that aren't terribly far from the airport where we can have boat and RV in the yard and not deal with HOAs but is still safe. Schools aren't an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 08:01 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
[quote=sapphos;40940967]Looking for some insight on Palm bay areas that are better and those to stay away from. I know Lockmar is always mentioned as one of the%

Last edited by Rabflmom; 09-01-2015 at 08:11 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 08:10 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
I have been partial to parts of NW Palm Bay, but it can be hit and miss. You really need to come drive though at various times of the day and week to see what it really is like before putting an offer in...just my opinion.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 14,629 times
Yeah, Palm Bay is really hit or miss. It was mostly laid out as a huge grid of lots which were filled in somewhat randomly with houses over time. So you'll frequently see streets with beat-up frame houses from the 80s next to a McMansion that went up in 2006, etc. NE Palm Bay is the older part of town as it was initially developed in the early 70s and then the other quadrants were built up later. So NE tends to be more rundown, although there are nice areas that are exceptions. I lived in NE from 2005-2013 and the neighborhood deteriorated quite a bit in the time I was there. In the other parts of town, you really have to consider each house you're interested in individually and see what the neighborhood is like. As mentioned, Bayside Lakes and Lockmar are nice for sure, and I would say NW is probably the nicest quadrant overall. Palm Bay has a trashy reputation, which is mostly deserved, but there aren't many places that I would consider dangerous/scary - most of that is up in Melbourne.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:04 AM

[quote=Rabflmom;41048931]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphos View Post
Looking for some insight on Palm bay areas that are better and those to stay away from. I know Lockmar is always mentioned as one of the%
Sorry bought this post. Must have messed up when I closed the computer when we had to do an emergency trip to ER.

I had a big post about some areas of Palm Bay to check out. Either the cats walked on keys or I pushed a weird set of keys when closing down quickly. Haven't had time to get back to computer to correct.

anyway ......... Not sure which have HOAS but our old neighborhood was less than $400 a year.

Most areas you cannot park an RV or boat and even box work trucks in the drive or on yards. Ordinance in PB says they have to be back behind the front line of your house so basically in the back or on side of your house. Some areas in the county require cement slab to park RVs etc. on.

Some places you might want to look:
Turkey Creek area-near Harris Corp
Cathedral Oaks area-1/2 to acre lots off Nogales
Carriage Gate off Minton but not sure if it is West Melbourne or Palm Bay address
Brook Hollow
Country Club area
7 Gables area

Sounds like most of SE and SW sectors of Palm Bay are farther than you want to drive but still some nice homes and areas in both, but you will want to stick to areas where the streets are better.

Close to Bayside but still worth a look- the new subdivisions off Cogan

Only place I would avoid is the older Port Malabar homes built in the 60s and along US1. But there are some nice houses along the river but doubt if any are for sale.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:43 AM

227 posts, read 728,121 times
Thanks for bringing up point about he are parking. Very helpful to know!

Also which area are you calling Port Malabar. I know there is Port Malabar near US1 and I believe also near country club?
We do like the tree canopies in the area around country club. We are not big fans of areas that have very few trees.

Look forward to your reply. [quote=Rabflmom;41066900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post

Sorry bought this post. Must have messed up when I closed the computer when we had to do an emergency trip to ER.

I had a big post about some areas of Palm Bay to check out. Either the cats walked on keys or I pushed a weird set of keys when closing down quickly. Haven't had time to get back to computer to correct.

anyway ......... Not sure which have HOAS but our old neighborhood was less than $400 a year.

Most areas you cannot park an RV or boat and even box work trucks in the drive or on yards. Ordinance in PB says they have to be back behind the front line of your house so basically in the back or on side of your house. Some areas in the county require cement slab to park RVs etc. on.

Some places you might want to look:
Turkey Creek area-near Harris Corp
Cathedral Oaks area-1/2 to acre lots off Nogales
Carriage Gate off Minton but not sure if it is West Melbourne or Palm Bay address
Brook Hollow
Country Club area
7 Gables area

Sounds like most of SE and SW sectors of Palm Bay are farther than you want to drive but still some nice homes and areas in both, but you will want to stick to areas where the streets are better.

Close to Bayside but still worth a look- the new subdivisions off Cogan

Only place I would avoid is the older Port Malabar homes built in the 60s and along US1. But there are some nice houses along the river but doubt if any are for sale.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:20 AM

[quote=sapphos;41099289]Thanks for bringing up point about he are parking. Very helpful to know!

Also which area are you calling Port Malabar. I know there is Port Malabar near US1 and I believe also near country club?
We do like the tree canopies in the area around country club. We are not big fans of areas that have very few trees.

Look forward to your reply. Port Malabar up by US1 is the oldest of the General Development homes. Some tend to be smaller homes and the wiring and plumbing may have to be redone since the homes were built back in the 60s. There are areas off that section of Port malabar that are newer and larger homes, though.

Port Malabar Blvd does go through the old country club area, but you will want to look at each area individually . Some are nicer homes, nicer neighborhoods and some are sort of run down in that area too.
The advantage is they do have city water and sewer in both areas which is something I would love to have in our area. We have city water but are on a septic system and I hate septics!

Old 09-06-2015, 10:17 AM

7 posts, read 17,001 times
We just bought in port malabar country club area, its NE palm bay, the homes are older but very nicely cared for imo. Our house is older but totally redone with huge screened in pool (also newer) I was very happy to find city water and sewer! They will be buliding on the old golf course but all houses built must be sold for 200k + be single family, and 1800 sqft at least. So I dont think that will affect the neighborhood. Its nice and quiet with a town watch and close to stores, Turkey creek sanctuary is like 3 min beach is like 20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County