Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 02:20 PM

49 posts, read 63,203 times

Advertisements

I need help with a water drainage issue on my property. I live in Palm Bay close to Babcock and Malabar. This is an older home that my father bought in 1977. The property behind him was vacant for years... Now, someone has built on it and elevated the property so that the drainage is directly on my property. The drainage swell in the front will sit with water for weeks at a time.

On occasion, the city will come and clean out the swell and drainage is a little better. But when it's not good, we can go for weeks with septic problems. To the point my son will siphon from one tank to the other (kitchen tank). Yes, we have to have it pumped.

I've called the city and they will not come even look at the problem much less make a suggestion. I feel this water problem was really escalated with the property built on the lot behind.

When I was last down to the Palm Bay City to ask about the lines they were going to put in years ago they tell me there are no longer plans to do it... only new construction.

Is there anything anyone can suggest? What can I do. I've considered putting dirt on the yard but wasn't sure if this would be of any help.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 05:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,299,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelee View Post
I need help with a water drainage issue on my property. I live in Palm Bay close to Babcock and Malabar. This is an older home that my father bought in 1977. The property behind him was vacant for years... Now, someone has built on it and elevated the property so that the drainage is directly on my property. The drainage swell in the front will sit with water for weeks at a time.

On occasion, the city will come and clean out the swell and drainage is a little better. But when it's not good, we can go for weeks with septic problems. To the point my son will siphon from one tank to the other (kitchen tank). Yes, we have to have it pumped.

I've called the city and they will not come even look at the problem much less make a suggestion. I feel this water problem was really escalated with the property built on the lot behind.

When I was last down to the Palm Bay City to ask about the lines they were going to put in years ago they tell me there are no longer plans to do it... only new construction.

Is there anything anyone can suggest? What can I do. I've considered putting dirt on the yard but wasn't sure if this would be of any help.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks
Get an attorney because it looks like your new neighbors created a problem for you and the city signed off on it if permitted. They gotta fix it.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:11 PM

Thank you... I have wondered if that was something I should be doing. Do you know of any particular "type" of attorney that handles this type of problem? Thanks

Old 12-18-2015, 04:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,299,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelee View Post
Thank you... I have wondered if that was something I should be doing. Do you know of any particular "type" of attorney that handles this type of problem? Thanks
I do not know who would be best, though I think an attorney involved in real estate contracts would be or even civil litigation.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:31 PM

2,741 posts, read 1,763,351 times
I think you'll need a civil engineer to confirm that the development of the lot behind you is actually causing the problem. You might want to start there instead of with an attorney (and the engineer may be able to recommend an attorney if you wind up needing one).

Old 12-31-2015, 10:43 PM

Thank you. I've talked with the folks at the City of Palm Bay and they won't even forward a message to have them contact me. So, maybe I need someone outside of the City...thanks

Old 01-01-2016, 09:02 AM

232 posts, read 396,732 times
John L. Soileau of Brevard Law Group came highly recommended to me for real estate law. 321-631-1550.

Though we ended up not needing an attorney for our issue (so I can't personally vouch for him), I keep his name and number on file.

An attorney will often give a free 30 minute consult. It might be worthwhile to give him a call and perhaps he can point you the right direction.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2016, 06:37 AM

Thank you for this name.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:34 AM

7 posts, read 45,881 times
Start documenting all your correspondences (emails,letters..). The city is ultimately responsible for solving the problem. Have the Brevard health department inspect the location as well and get a written statement or email confirmation ( Its OK if they didn't respond). You may also contact the local news stations to publicize the issue. Collect all expenses and related medical cost. Contact any of 12000 Civil law listed attorneys and GOOD LUCK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County