Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 05:33 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateg06 View Post
Haven't seen much in Cocoa Beach listed under 350,000. As for Merritt, we have driven around and while we have no problem with older homes, saw a lot of run down areas which I wasn't thrilled with. Perhaps you could recommend a particular area? However, I do agree there isn't much yard to be found in Viera either which is a bummer. I suppose we can't have the best of both worlds.
For old world southern feel with mature trees giving lots of shade on a sunny day, I love the south Merritt Island neighborhoods. There are some nicer streets such as Coconut Lane and it's surrounding cross streets. Sure you may find some smaller or older less maintained ones, but the pricing is also reasonable.
Drive further south on Courtenay and get to Old Parsonage Dr. This may be my favorite "feeling" area. Larger lots, nice sized homes in a great community that has a dock with a very low common fee to join. Prices are heading north of $330-$350K but if you find one in this area, they are usually well worth the look. A drive by and you will understand. The elementary school (Tropical) is also one of the top rated ones in Merritt Island.
For space and newer builds, there are many areas in North Merritt Island (north of 528) that can get you great lot sizes (if you stay clear of some of the gated communities). Your are in a more rural area so check insurance rates as they tend to be higher the further away from a fire house.
I also like the areas south of 528 off of North Banana. Here you can find waterfront canal lots some facing natural preserves. You may have to deal with a low bridge on the west side (if boating is an interest), but prices are corresponding less for such lots as compared to the east side of Banana where there is no overpasses to open water. Take a drive down to S. Harbor, head west all the way up to Tarpon St. Those homes back up to a Bird Sanctuary with mangroves and lots of nature. If you turn left from the end of S. Harbor go two houses down to the right is a little dead end. Park your car, walk to the nature path (it is a public access, not private property and wear old shoes as it can be muddy if it had rained). Check the views of the preserve. If adventurous, I suggest taking a walk down the dirt path. It follows the back of a canal that runs along the preserve and you can catch a view of some birds and other wildlife.
If going between 528 and 520 off Courtenay, try heading east onto Needle Blvd. Take a ride along Needle and see a lot of older canal homes and some across that are much cheaper. At the end is a nice public park and play ground. Park there and walk to the water. Very relaxing.
These areas and more are all different in feel, size of lots, ages of homes and types of property as well as three different elementary schools. Once you do this, see some homes from a good realtor (at different price points) to see if a clean non canal $200K house is better than $330K canal renovated flipper. Take notes, pictures and re-visit at different times and days of the week (with and without a realtor). Most of all, have fun.

Last edited by Nypafl4u; 04-04-2016 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 05:39 PM

12 posts, read 18,344 times
Wow thank you! We will definitely take another drive around with this info!

Old 04-05-2016, 03:58 PM

232 posts, read 398,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateg06 View Post
Wow thank you! We will definitely take another drive around with this info!
Nypafl4u is da man He really knows the island, and gives great advice.

Another area to cruise down is S. Banana River Dr. Follow it south from 520, all the way to where it curves into Old Causeway Rd. S. Banana River gives a lot of the "Old South" feel.

At the end of Old Causeway, turn left on Newfound Harbor Dr., and take it down to the end. When you reach the end (about 1.5 miles), turn around and take Newfound Harbor all the way back to the 520 (across from Walmart). We live in this area (near Old Causeway and Newfound Harbor), and just love it.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:50 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
Nypafl4u is da man He really knows the island, and gives great advice.

Another area to cruise down is S. Banana River Dr. Follow it south from 520, all the way to where it curves into Old Causeway Rd. S. Banana River gives a lot of the "Old South" feel.

At the end of Old Causeway, turn left on Newfound Harbor Dr., and take it down to the end. When you reach the end (about 1.5 miles), turn around and take Newfound Harbor all the way back to the 520 (across from Walmart). We live in this area (near Old Causeway and Newfound Harbor), and just love it.
Thank you Cinewman. I appreciate the kind words. I have spent the last five years visiting, riding endless miles (much to the exhaustion of my wife, my realtor friends and anyone that every wanted to take a ride around). I love real estate and learning as much as I can about an area of interest.

I also agree about S. Banana River Dr. and the streets down that way. I had not mentioned it as I never purchased anything in this area and therefore tend not to stay as up to date with the current happenings there. I love going all the way south. It can be pricey down there (like South Courtenay if you keep going south). Beautiful area with a nice quiet vibe. I am eager to meet up (for that drink ) next trip down there and see your neck of the woods.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:57 AM

232 posts, read 398,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
I am eager to meet up (for that drink ) next trip down there and see your neck of the woods.
Give me a shout next time you're coming down. We'll make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County