U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 11:47 AM

55 posts, read 275,534 times

Advertisements

Im a caribbean women married to an anglo american and have two daughters. we currently live in the tampa bay area. the palm bay/melbourne has caught our attention and would like to know about job opportunities and colleges there. my husband is a teacher and i'm a certified nurse assistant who want to go back to school to study nursing.
we also like to know how race relations are there too, knowing that there is a small percentage of african americans and other minorities who live in the area. Are the people tolarant of african decents and interracial couples with birracial children?
its important because i want my family and myself to fit in feel safe, comfortable and be able to progress.
What about cost of living, lifestyle and entertainment, what is the average age group down there?
please let us know.
thank you
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:51 PM

42 posts, read 164,208 times
Sunflower, I haven't lived in Tampa, so I can't really compare the cost of living to Melbourne's.

But as far as people treating your family different for being interracial, I don't think anyone will really care much about it. It's pretty laid back here.

If you are looking for some exciting nightlife, well....it's not called "Mel-boring" for nuthin'!! Seriously, it's more geared to families, and if someone wants to go out clubbing, they'd probably hit the road and go to Orlando. We've got one mall, and it's ok but nothing special. People here go more to the beach and the Brevard Zoo for fun.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:43 PM

22 posts, read 60,787 times
I have to agree being bi racial is no big deal around here..My daughter has many friends who are bi racial. As for a life..It is the most boring place in the world. I am from NJ and was used to going out doing things and moved down here thinking its warm a good part of the year and there should be stuff to do...Boy was I wrong. Neither of you should have problems finding work in those fields. good luck

Old 05-12-2008, 06:37 PM

811 posts, read 1,768,559 times
Default Hi

Hi Sunflower,

We also are looking in that area to move.. we are presently in NYC.

We are not bi-racial... but bi-religion is there is such a thing.

Jewish-Muslim... what a combo

What drew you to that area ?
We tried Pinellas Cty for a 12 days trip this pasr Oct and did not have any appeal to us.

I researched and now looking at Melbourne and its surrounding areas.. up north to Viera and down to Vero Beach.

Wanna trade ideas and comments ?

Michael

Old 05-12-2008, 11:18 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,306,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower101 View Post
Im a caribbean women married to an anglo american and have two daughters. we currently live in the tampa bay area. the palm bay/melbourne has caught our attention and would like to know about job opportunities and colleges there. my husband is a teacher and i'm a certified nurse assistant who want to go back to school to study nursing.
we also like to know how race relations are there too, knowing that there is a small percentage of african americans and other minorities who live in the area. Are the people tolarant of african decents and interracial couples with birracial children?
its important because i want my family and myself to fit in feel safe, comfortable and be able to progress.
What about cost of living, lifestyle and entertainment, what is the average age group down there?
please let us know.
thank you
Sunshine,

I would look around more in Melbourne to be a good fit for just about anyone.The Treasure Coast as a whole alot of people call it boring, but when I escaped the DC area to move down in the mid-90's I found the area to be a breath of fresh air. I lived in Sebastian/Vero Beach but would go to Melbourne quite often to shop and just for a little more night life....its not much more. But that was my single days . I got married and moved away back in 2004 (wifey is military) but we plan to go back to the Treasure Coast when her service is over.

I would think that the Melbourne area is going to be considerable cheaper than living in Tampa. Since your husband is a teacher he would be able to find out where the best schools are as well. Also you always here theres a shortage of nurse's so I would think you'd find a nursing job as well.Good luck on you decision.
bunky

Old 11-20-2008, 05:52 PM

16 posts, read 40,101 times
Melbourne yes, Palm bay no. The bi-racial thing is no big deal in either one but Palm Bay is the pits.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,070 times
Hello sunflower....I have just googled interracial couples and this is what came up. I am wondering if you have made up your mind since your post was in 2008. Interestingly enough, I am in a inter-racial marriage. My husband in Black American and I am Filipino. We have been living in Viera, FL area since 2008. I feel and see that this area is a good place to raise a family. As you mentioned that you are trying to go back to school for nursing and jobs in nursing in this area is good. And ironically, I am a nurse and have had several opportunities and job offers but the catch is that the pay is not what I really would considered great. We have 3 kids, who are of course bi-racial. I have seen a lot of bi-racial couples in the areas but of course, we are still the minorities. There are more of Anglos in this area we live in. So far, I myself have not encountered any racial issues. I can't guarantee that it doesn't happen. Schools here are A rated. Jobs for teachers are in the iffy side since the cut backs are happening. I've heard great thing about the nursing programs in the local community college and there are a couple of universities in the vicinity. The only thing that I do desire in this area is a local groups or social gatherings for bi-racial couples. This is the reason why I came up with your post.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:37 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,679,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threegirlz View Post
I have to agree being bi racial is no big deal around here..My daughter has many friends who are bi racial. As for a life..It is the most boring place in the world. I am from NJ and was used to going out doing things and moved down here thinking its warm a good part of the year and there should be stuff to do...Boy was I wrong. Neither of you should have problems finding work in those fields. good luck
Can I ask what you did when going out and doing things that you can't find to do down here? I just can't fathom being bored here. I wasn't when I moved here when I was in my 20s and single and I still find too many things to do every weekend that I either run out of time or run out of money before I am done.

And as everyone has said.....OP you should have no problems here. We are all pretty friendly here in Palm Bay./Melbourne/Space Coast area. Shouldn't take you long to get settled here. You can get your nursing classes at BCC /UCF campus. Job situation her improved a little this last month with the Christmas hiring but it still pretty high oveer here. Come over and see about jobs before making the move. You can probably check the hospital vacancies on line to see what jobs are available.
As for teaching jobs.....Brevard County hires to stay within class size so this year they hired quite a few. We actually had more kids than expected. Next year though they are looking at closing schools that have never met population expectancies so a couple elems might be on the chopping block. Best bet is for him to check Brevard schol site for vacancies. You guys are close enough that it will be easy to make the interviews needed to be hired.
Good luck....I think you guys will love calling this area home-even in Palm Bay if you choose it. In PB homes are a little less expensive, there are some great areas to live in where you don't live close enough to hear the toilet flush next door ,and since 1990s we have had at least 15 elems go up here, 1 junior high, and 2 high schools so this is a town with lots of kids. .

Old 10-24-2011, 09:49 PM

587 posts, read 972,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Can I ask what you did when going out and doing things that you can't find to do down here? I just can't fathom being bored here. I wasn't when I moved here when I was in my 20s and single and I still find too many things to do every weekend that I either run out of time or run out of money before I am done.
I haven't been here as long as you have, I've only been here for a few weeks - but I'm finding more than enough to do to keep me occupied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Job situation her improved a little this last month with the Christmas hiring but it still pretty high oveer here. Come over and see about jobs before making the move. You can probably check the hospital vacancies on line to see what jobs are available.
As for teaching jobs.....Brevard County hires to stay within class size so this year they hired quite a few. We actually had more kids than expected. Next year though they are looking at closing schools that have never met population expectancies so a couple elems might be on the chopping block. Best bet is for him to check Brevard schol site for vacancies. You guys are close enough that it will be easy to make the interviews needed to be hired.
Good luck....I think you guys will love calling this area home-even in Palm Bay if you choose it. In PB homes are a little less expensive, there are some great areas to live in where you don't live close enough to hear the toilet flush next door ,and since 1990s we have had at least 15 elems go up here, 1 junior high, and 2 high schools so this is a town with lots of kids. .
I don't suppose there are many places in the Western world where there is a surfeit of jobs, but from what I've seen, there are still well-paid hi-tech jobs to be had. (My son is an electronics engineer and it appears the job market for people with his skills and qualifications is pretty good around here.)

The market for low-skilled workers may be bad here - but that's hardly a local phenomenon. I've just returned to the US from Europe and although there are plenty of jobs available for highly-skilled highly-qualified people there, those at the low-skill/low-qualification end of the market are facing hard times.

I note your comment (and I read the article in Thursday's edition of 'Florida Today') about the number of children in local schools. That's heartening news! This part of Florida has no shortage of retirees, but the number of children does suggest that the area has a vibrant future.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:14 PM

199 posts, read 391,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Perkins View Post
Melbourne yes, Palm bay no. The bi-racial thing is no big deal in either one but Palm Bay is the pits.
I looked up some population stats. It seems like most of the minorities in Southern Brevard do live in or near Palm Bay. There are fewer minorities in West Melbourne and Viera, and very few beachside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County