Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:17 AM

31 posts, read 75,251 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. Hubby and I have some soul searching and deciding to do. He is now presented with another really good opportunity--but in DC! So it really comes down to a a lifestyle choice and what we think would be best for our kids. We have to decide this week, so any more last minute insight into Brevard for kids, 40-somethings, or Black families is welcome. The good, bad, and ugly! Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 11:56 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,146,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardniner View Post
I honestly couldn't stand the traffic in viera or Melbourne. It's awful. I worked at the building department and it was heinous. And this is coming from someone who lived in Chicago for 13 years.
Can you provide more detail...and can others chime in with their assessment of the traffic in the Viera area? Are there certain days/times or streets/intersections that are terrible? We're in the Los Angeles area, and acquaintances who have relocated to the area ask, "What traffic?" when we've asked them about it.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:55 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,299 times
I can relate being from NY myself. In Florida, 20 minutes of traffic is a big thing, especially when many highways are usually moving at 70 mph. So getting stuck in school, commuter and holiday traffic and it takes 15 minutes to get through an intersection is a pain. But nothing compares to LA or NYC daily grind, regardless of the day or time (in most cases). Viera is just very built up and grown faster than most would have expected. This creates bottlenecks and typical turning delays. I know in Cocoa Beach during the busy snowbird season and summer months, it can take an extra 10 minutes to go down A1A beachside. You learn to deal with it.
In congested places like LA and NYC, we talk travel in terms of time (it will take you 45 min. to an hour) vs. it is a 20 mile drive .

Old 04-12-2017, 05:52 AM

210 posts, read 277,021 times
I agree with NYpafl4u in that the traffic in Viera is nothing like the traffic in LA and NYC. We are spoiled I suppose, so when it takes us 20 minutes to get through downtown Viera (the only place I've personally run into congestion there) we're not used to it. I'd venture to say there are many more traffic jams in DC than Viera from what I remember of my trip there. Viera has grown a lot, but I would not call it a big city. It's more like a town with many amenities such as shopping restaurants ect.. Good luck with your decision

Old 04-12-2017, 09:33 AM

31 posts, read 75,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrevardRelator View Post
I agree with NYpafl4u in that the traffic in Viera is nothing like the traffic in LA and NYC. We are spoiled I suppose, so when it takes us 20 minutes to get through downtown Viera (the only place I've personally run into congestion there) we're not used to it. I'd venture to say there are many more traffic jams in DC than Viera from what I remember of my trip there. Viera has grown a lot, but I would not call it a big city. It's more like a town with many amenities such as shopping restaurants ect.. Good luck with your decision
Thank you! I am not really concerned about the traffic in Melbourne. Right now my husband has over a 90 minute commute. From what I understand, if he is working near the airport, it is possible to live in Melbourne, Viera, or beachside with a commute of 30 minutes or less. Right?

You all have been so helpful... I was up half the night researching and reading through more threads here, and I have a few more questions:

Beachside: Are the beaches nice, clean, and swimmable most of the year? Or are there many months when it is too cold to get into the water?

Is there enough for teens to do so they don't get into trouble? I came across a thread here where a teen said there was nothing to do in the beach towns, so lots of drugs, experimenting, etc. I hope this question is not offensive, but I don't have a lot of time, so I just wanted to ask it straight!

And in the interest of asking straight....is beachside completely white? I mean, are there any brown people there at all? Just want to be prepared as I consider my options.

Melbourne area: Are there a fair amount of parks around? Just green areas and playgrounds to visit with little ones?

Is there much in the way of arts? One concern I have (that I wouldn't have with DC) is being able to find an excellent classical piano teacher for my daughter. Is there any live music scene at all?

With decent pest control, is it possible to not have lots of bugs in the house? I am still traumatized by the giant cockroaches I saw in Pensacola as a child visiting relatives. ***shudder*** And living in the desert, it is so hot and dry, that we don't have too many bugs.

You all are so nice to keep adding to this thread. Thank you for answering my many questions!

Old 04-12-2017, 09:46 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,080 times
Hi Songbird,
I have enjoyed reading your thread. I live further south, so can't answer any questions you asked other than about bugs.
I've lived in Florida for over 30 years, and yes, with pest control, you will certainly be able to keep insects out of the house. Palmetto bugs (the big, flying roaches) enjoy nesting/living in humid, dark places, and when gardening I often find them in (guess what?) the Palmetto palms and their thatch.
But in the house? Very rare. I think I was 25 and my wife and I were renting a hotel room last time I saw one 'in the house'. And I'm 63 now, so that was a long time ago

Oh, and I will say this. I was born and raised up north, and when I came here I found the classical arts very lacking. I'm not saying you won't find a local symphony, etc., but I was surprised on the lack of the arts.
I'm sure you will find a music teacher for your daughter, but if you enjoy art museums and the like, Florida is woefully behind, imho.
I think it's because Florida is really a tourist-based state, with lovely beaches and plenty of outside activities.
People come here for those reasons, certainly not to visit a museum.

I will now step down off of my soapbox and let the locals confirm whether or not their particular areas do in fact, have any form of arts.

Last edited by TerraDown; 04-12-2017 at 10:04 AM..

Old 04-12-2017, 09:33 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,169,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrevardRelator View Post

Trying to fiure where Downtown Viera is. Been here since Viera was planned and built. Technically there is none. Yes it has the county buildings and shopping center but where is downtown? I guess maybe walking inside the Avenue Shopping Center mgiht feel like an old down town because it is an area where you can walk outside and go into shops etc. .
Technically, Viera is not a city not even a town yet. It is an area of Melbourne, just like Suntree area is. . It is unincorpoated . It does not have its own police, fire department, etc. it is still an area of North Melbourne with some areas having a Rockledge address,
DC definitely has more traffic and traffic problems. The traffic circle and so many people not knowing how to use it is the biggest hang up. It does get busy when the people drive into work at the county buildings in the mornings and evenings.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:37 AM

210 posts, read 277,021 times
Downtown was a poor choice of words. I was referring to the Wickham area approaching the Avenues. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:47 AM

55 posts, read 84,128 times
I don't know about the beaches as in diversity. You are going to have to use the Data portion of this site to check. You can bring up Brevard County as a whole and drill down to small developments if necessary. It will give you a demographic breakdown of the area in terms of race and income. One of my favorite parks to visit in Brevard is Rotary Park at the end of Suntree Blvd and US 1. Nice playground for the kids, Pavilions to rent for parties, and Pier. Shore line of the Indian River. We go there just to hang out and have seen dolphins, cranes, pelican diving for fish, and a couple of manatees. I would say Brevard has numerous parks to choose from. Don't forget the zoo. King Center has some nice concerts. And almost every community has festivals or first or second Friday night outings with vendors and live music. From Rockledge I can be at Airport in 20 Minutes. Airport is accessible from 95, US1, and Wickham. Just depends on where you are coming from.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:22 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,299 times
"You all have been so helpful... I was up half the night researching and reading through more threads here, and I have a few more questions:

Beachside: Are the beaches nice, clean, and swimmable most of the year? Or are there many months when it is too cold to get into the water?

Is there enough for teens to do so they don't get into trouble? I came across a thread here where a teen said there was nothing to do in the beach towns, so lots of drugs, experimenting, etc. I hope this question is not offensive, but I don't have a lot of time, so I just wanted to ask it straight!

And in the interest of asking straight....is beachside completely white? I mean, are there any brown people there at all? Just want to be prepared as I consider my options.

Melbourne area: Are there a fair amount of parks around? Just green areas and playgrounds to visit with little ones?

Is there much in the way of arts? One concern I have (that I wouldn't have with DC) is being able to find an excellent classical piano teacher for my daughter. Is there any live music scene at all?

With decent pest control, is it possible to not have lots of bugs in the house? I am still traumatized by the giant cockroaches I saw in Pensacola as a child visiting relatives. ***shudder*** And living in the desert, it is so hot and dry, that we don't have too many bugs.

You all are so nice to keep adding to this thread. Thank you for answering my many questions![/quote]

I can see you have several concerns and are looking for as many responses to help you feel more comfortable about your families decision to relocate. While I can appreciate the research, there is absolutely no way you can truly tell what an area is like, be it race, night life, stuff for the kids to do, traffic patterns or even the bugs, without physically spending some time in the various areas you are considering. The best thing and my strongest recommendation would be to pack up your family and spend a full week (or two) down there. Eyeball for yourself, visit the parks, beaches, supermarkets, restaurants, schools and specific neighborhoods. Rent a car and drive during rush hour, drive by schools during morning and afternoon dismissal, check out the sounds in the evening at beachside and other areas of interest, hook up with a great realtor and visit homes that have not been lived in for several months and see what kind of bugs are crawling around inside the house when no exterminator has been used. Visit the local community centers and chamber of commerce to get an idea of what is available to do. Visit stores and talk to the cashiers, stock clerks and even customers on line. You can learn so much. These are some of the things I would recommend you do before making your final decision. It is a big discision to move and one that should not be based on several well intended forum participants. Only you and your family can see, feel, and experience the local flavor after visiting for a week or two, at least a few times, before knowing "this" is the right move. I wish you all the luck and hopefully you can make the visit(s) before deciding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County