Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:07 AM

270 posts, read 838,480 times

Advertisements

Anyone see this on the news? Man that guy was dumb as rocks to swim into the middle of a lake like that!

https://youtu.be/YYJmX7yC_sw

At least the kids were smart enough not to get in that gator infested water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 09:39 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,783,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1985 View Post
Really, that's the lesson you took away from watching this disgusting video?

You're right, the kids are regular role models for others to emulate. (to avoid any uncertainty, that remark was written in the sarcasm font).

Old 07-25-2017, 09:45 AM

378 posts, read 487,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1985 View Post
That definitely wasn't my first thought when hearing this news...

In other news, the movie "Idiocracy" has recently been changed from a comedy to a documentary

Old 07-25-2017, 09:51 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
This is the generation that will sin be in control...

Yes, I know there are monsters in all generations , races, and walks of life.

Has social media made it worse, or is it just showing us revealing the monsters to us?

A young guy I work with overheard me talking about my love for wildlife and the woods.

He described a time he was staying out in the country with a friend up north. It was cold.

A fox kit came into the yard; it was shivering with the cold.

I'm not going to tell you what these two monsters did to warm the kit up.

And my coworkers only regret is that he didn't make a video of it.

So I have to see this guy every day.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:24 AM

210 posts, read 277,529 times
I wonder too, if people are becoming more desensitized to death and violence because it has become a daily form of "entertainment", or if we just get to see the sickness inside people "thanks" to sharing on social media.
I hope most others walk away from this event with a different lesson than the original poster. Although it may not be illegal to not render help, or at least call for help when we witness others in trouble, it certainly should be a moral obligation. To laugh as someone is drowning is a level indifference and cruelty I will never understand. I hope these young people have adults in their lives that get them the help they need before they start committing acts that are punishable by law!

Old 07-25-2017, 11:29 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
This is why I will never vote for someone who wants to touch the 2nd amendment, too many f***ing pieces of crap out there... these kids should get life in prison for not reporting it. Laws in this country are a joke, so many aren't afraid of the penalty.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:55 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrevardREALTOR View Post
I wonder too, if people are becoming more desensitized to death and violence because it has become a daily form of "entertainment", or if we just get to see the sickness inside people "thanks" to sharing on social media.
I hope most others walk away from this event with a different lesson than the original poster. Although it may not be illegal to not render help, or at least call for help when we witness others in trouble, it certainly should be a moral obligation. To laugh as someone is drowning is a level indifference and cruelty I will never understand. I hope these young people have adults in their lives that get them the help they need before they start committing acts that are punishable by law!
You're right, the kids are regular role models for others to emulate. (to avoid any uncertainty, that remark was written in the sarcasm font).[/quote]

So even if you didn't know how to swim, or were much thinner and smaller than the grown man, how would you go to the deep middle of that pond to save a man who was committing suicide? They were young boys. Young teens. We don't know their size. We don't know if they can swim.

They did not tell him to go in. They did not throw him in or hold his head under water. They were on the other side of the pond.
Had they gone in there could be more than one dead. Many times it is the rescuer that ends up dying when they attempt a rescue without a surf board, life guard tube for the person to grab onto or lay on. Life guards rarely actually physically carry a man in. It is too hard to do. You have something you can situate the victim on and pull them back to safety.

They do not have a life guard float tube to use to help stay afloat themselves and get him back to shore.

Have you ever saved a drowning person? As they struggle before they actually take in too much water, they are flailing their arms, kicking with all their might. When a person comes to save them they grab on, they continue to kick, they are still scared , heavy, strong, and still fighting to stay above water.
They will do anything to keep their head above water and that means pushing their rescuer down farther and farther. That is why a lifeguard might even have to smack the person, swim away from them, to get their attention back and begin again to rescue them. Even a child is not easy to rescue when you do it.

Yes they yelled out. They told him not to go into the water. They told him they were not going into the water with the gators to rescue him. That man had a choice. He could have turned around and walked out, but he was thinking woe is me. I have nothing to live for and had made a decision to kill himself. I know it is hard for a family to deal when someone kills themselves. My nephew did and you want to lay blame, why didn't somebody do something? My nephew probably would have shot them too.

People talk about how the boys laughed. Can you say you have never sat and watched someone do something- even in the movie Jack Ass or on the show Ridiculousness and not said something like " That's f****n crazy?" Or laugh and say "that stupid MF did it" . The surveillance cameras at my cousins gas station in Illinois caught a tornado demolishing the house across the street. NBC aired the video(without their permission BTW). In the video you hear the people who came off the interstate and were hunkered down behind the counter, nervously laughing too. It is something that happens sometimes when scary things happen. In this case they were watching a man go out into the pond that they would never go in. They probably expected him to make it to the other side. When he started struggling it was actually too late to do anything. They didn't have a jet ski, a boat, a float to get out there.

Their crime is not calling to try to get a deputy there. By the time someone got there, the man would still be dead. It was his intention when he walked into that pond. Their crime...... Not reporting a death.

Even an officer of the law is not required to risk his/her life in a rescue. Many do because they are trained and some end up dying instead of or with the victim. These boys were not trained. Would you expect a 70 year old lady to jump in and drown also, to try save someone? Adding deaths or injuries is not what is needed so a law requiring you to try to help is not a good idea..

It is not a law nor should it be that it is mandatory to put your life in danger to do a rescue you are not qualified to do. I was a lifeguard when I was young. Without a tube and help from others I would not have been able to pull this man back to shore from the middle of that pond. When they realized he wasn't coming back up, they would have had to dive over and over to find him at the bottom, possibly getting entangled in the weeds, too.

Their crime is a misdemeanor not a capital offence. They were probably scared to get into trouble, but they should have reported it.... not posted a video to impress their friends. This world is media obsessed and even adults are guilty of doing the same thing. Grab the cell and publish instead of doing anything seems to be the norm.

Shame on them for not calling it in! It will be forever one of their guilts and hopefully they learned from this incident and so did the rest of the world.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:44 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Honestly trash like this will not feel regret, they will probably brag to their friends about how hilarious it was and how it made world news. The only thing that would teach those kids a lesson is life in jail

Old 07-25-2017, 07:39 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Cocoa drowning case teaches lessons about social media's impact on society

Old 07-26-2017, 08:45 AM

55 posts, read 84,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
You're right, the kids are regular role models for others to emulate. (to avoid any uncertainty, that remark was written in the sarcasm font).
So even if you didn't know how to swim, or were much thinner and smaller than the grown man, how would you go to the deep middle of that pond to save a man who was committing suicide? They were young boys. Young teens. We don't know their size. We don't know if they can swim.

They did not tell him to go in. They did not throw him in or hold his head under water. They were on the other side of the pond.
Had they gone in there could be more than one dead. Many times it is the rescuer that ends up dying when they attempt a rescue without a surf board, life guard tube for the person to grab onto or lay on. Life guards rarely actually physically carry a man in. It is too hard to do. You have something you can situate the victim on and pull them back to safety.

They do not have a life guard float tube to use to help stay afloat themselves and get him back to shore.

Have you ever saved a drowning person? As they struggle before they actually take in too much water, they are flailing their arms, kicking with all their might. When a person comes to save them they grab on, they continue to kick, they are still scared , heavy, strong, and still fighting to stay above water.
They will do anything to keep their head above water and that means pushing their rescuer down farther and farther. That is why a lifeguard might even have to smack the person, swim away from them, to get their attention back and begin again to rescue them. Even a child is not easy to rescue when you do it.

Yes they yelled out. They told him not to go into the water. They told him they were not going into the water with the gators to rescue him. That man had a choice. He could have turned around and walked out, but he was thinking woe is me. I have nothing to live for and had made a decision to kill himself. I know it is hard for a family to deal when someone kills themselves. My nephew did and you want to lay blame, why didn't somebody do something? My nephew probably would have shot them too.

People talk about how the boys laughed. Can you say you have never sat and watched someone do something- even in the movie Jack Ass or on the show Ridiculousness and not said something like " That's f****n crazy?" Or laugh and say "that stupid MF did it" . The surveillance cameras at my cousins gas station in Illinois caught a tornado demolishing the house across the street. NBC aired the video(without their permission BTW). In the video you hear the people who came off the interstate and were hunkered down behind the counter, nervously laughing too. It is something that happens sometimes when scary things happen. In this case they were watching a man go out into the pond that they would never go in. They probably expected him to make it to the other side. When he started struggling it was actually too late to do anything. They didn't have a jet ski, a boat, a float to get out there.

Their crime is not calling to try to get a deputy there. By the time someone got there, the man would still be dead. It was his intention when he walked into that pond. Their crime...... Not reporting a death.

Even an officer of the law is not required to risk his/her life in a rescue. Many do because they are trained and some end up dying instead of or with the victim. These boys were not trained. Would you expect a 70 year old lady to jump in and drown also, to try save someone? Adding deaths or injuries is not what is needed so a law requiring you to try to help is not a good idea..

It is not a law nor should it be that it is mandatory to put your life in danger to do a rescue you are not qualified to do. I was a lifeguard when I was young. Without a tube and help from others I would not have been able to pull this man back to shore from the middle of that pond. When they realized he wasn't coming back up, they would have had to dive over and over to find him at the bottom, possibly getting entangled in the weeds, too.

Their crime is a misdemeanor not a capital offence. They were probably scared to get into trouble, but they should have reported it.... not posted a video to impress their friends. This world is media obsessed and even adults are guilty of doing the same thing. Grab the cell and publish instead of doing anything seems to be the norm.

Shame on them for not calling it in! It will be forever one of their guilts and hopefully they learned from this incident and so did the rest of the world.[/quote]

All they had to do was call 911. They did not, they are all assess and should be punished for their stupidity and indifference to human life. No excuses for their stupidity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County