U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2006, 08:31 PM

235 posts, read 677,780 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of leaving NY and relocating to the Melbourn area. I am hopeful someone can give me some insight as to the housing (apts) and the schools and how jobs are there. I have read some scarry things about certain areas of Florida and just want to know about this one. Also if someone is making in the mid $50's in NY do you have to make the same in Florida.

Any info would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 09:12 PM

8 posts, read 33,950 times
Melbourne is a great beach town. I have 3 younger sisters that were all in grade school when the family moved here . They did very well in the local school. I know a lot of New Yorkers that have relocated here . It's a very safe area even though there are a lot of people. There are many ways to get around so you'll only be stuck in traffic if there is a bad accident. There are plenty of good jobs, althought construction guys are starting to look elsewhere for work. Older houses in Melbourne with out garages are still under $180,000 while newer houses with 2-car garges usually start at $300,000. My sister rents a decent apartment for $800.00 per month. I think you can live good here making $50,000.

I live in Palm Bay because I wanted a bigger yard. But I like working in Melbourne.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:54 PM

56 posts, read 336,232 times
Momoftwo, most of the scary things I've read about on this forum must be happening in different areas than the ones we've been living in for the last 20-ish years! Life is still very good for us, and pretty quiet, around here. We live in Melbourne Beach and used to live in Palm Bay. I don't know much about job outlook or apartment rentals, hopefully someone else on here will have some info for you about those things. But to answer about the area, schools and people:
The Melbourne/Palm Bay area is large and has a lot of different areas and neighborhoods within. Some are more suburban, some beach communities, some feel a little more like you're out in the country. Seems like you could find something for almost everyone around here. Most of the areas are very safe and have good schools, but there are a couple of places where there is more crime. It would be helpful to know more specifically what you are looking for -- is it a priority for you to be near the ocean, will you need or want to go to Orlando often, how old are your kids and what are their interests, etc. etc. What type of job(s) will you be looking for?
As far as schools, those we have had experience with and have been very happy with are: Gemini Elementary in Melbourne Beach, Hoover Middle School in Indialantic, and Melbourne High School. I have also heard really good things about Indialantic, Ocean Breeze, Lockmar, and Port Malabar Elem. Schools, DeLaura and Central Middle Schools, Satellite High, West Shore and Cocoa Beach Jr/Sr. High School. I'm sure there are many other good schools, I am just listing those I have personally had experience with or heard good things about from friends.
Almost all of the people I've met are very nice and friendly. Many (probably most) of us have moved here from different places, and I haven't seen any negativity toward newcomers/"Yankees"/whatever.
For us, this has been a really great place to live and raise our kids.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:11 PM

235 posts, read 677,780 times
wow, finally some good news. My husband is a retail manager for chain drug store and sadly he is only making in the mid 50's here in NY and it has become impossible to survive. We are faced with Zoning laws for HS so if my daughter didn't pass one of the specialty tests off she goes to NYC # 2 rated worst/crime schools...UGGH nope over my dead body. Amy my daughter is 13 she will enter 9th grade in Sept and my son is 8 he will be in 4th. As for Orlando, I don't mind doing an hour or an hour and half drive to go to Disney. I know the areas around there are horrid. I don't know about the beach, I have the beach here 5 minutes from my house and we never go, I like the pool don't trust the ocean....I guess I myself worry about making friends, I know the kids will have no problem. It was nice to hear that there is no negativity towards newcomers. I think our next step will have to be visiting the area. Tell me if you know, the breakdown of schools, for example which area goes to which elementary school, so if I live in area A son would go to___ and Daughter to___...this way I can look up the schools their grades and housing...Thanks...

Old 12-10-2006, 04:31 PM

56 posts, read 336,232 times
We live practically across the street from the ocean and I never go there either! It is really nice to have a pool here though, since there is such a long season when you can use it. I found it was very easy to meet friends through the kids' friends, through their activities, and volunteering at school. If you move here earlier in the summer, your kids might be able to meet some friends and have a few familiar faces there when school starts in August (it starts early here). It can be hard to find out about summer programs when you're not in town, but I might be able to tell you about some that are offered, depending on your children's interests. There are some art and science camps at the museum, plenty of sports things, music camps, etc.

We are way down south on the beachside, so it takes around 1 1/2 hours to get to Orlando.
Here's a link to the Brevard County school boundary maps.
http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/Schools/ (broken link)
Also there is a place you can put in an address and it will tell you which schools it's assigned to.
http://edulog.brevard.k12.fl.us/edulog/webquery/

When the kids were about to enter school, we wanted to move to a great school district and were mainly interested in Melbourne Beach, Indialantic, and Satellite Beach (they are considered some of the best areas for schools). We liked Gemini Elementary and Melbourne Beach best. My kids went to Gemini, then Hoover Middle School in Indialantic and now are at Melbourne High. We have been very happy with the education they are getting, but have found that we do need to stay involved and be aware of whether the kids are where they belong (are they challenged enough in their classes/are they lost and need extra help, etc.). I would absolutely recommend the schools my kids have been in, but of course there are many other good ones and I know you will research it all and find what's right for you! If your daughter is a really serious student you might be interested in the IB programs at Melbourne High or Cocoa Beach (you can attend even if you aren't districted for them because you're going for a special program) You won't find West Shore on those boundary maps because it's a "school of choice". It's a very good school, my son wanted to go there starting in 7th grade but didn't get his name drawn in the lottery. After that year we didn't try again because we were so happy with Hoover and Melbourne High. On the Brevard County schools website there is a lot of other info you might be interested in, and also links to each of the schools' sites.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:16 PM

14,495 posts, read 24,596,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwo418 View Post
We are thinking of leaving NY and relocating to the Melbourn area. I am hopeful someone can give me some insight as to the housing (apts) and the schools and how jobs are there. I have read some scarry things about certain areas of Florida and just want to know about this one. Also if someone is making in the mid $50's in NY do you have to make the same in Florida.

Any info would be appreciated.
A friend of mine lived in Melbourne. She relocated from NYC. She was an executive paralegal with 20 years experience. There were no jobs.She had to move to Ft Lauderdale and took a 30k pay cut.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 12-10-2006 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-09-2007, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 11,789 times
I myself is interested about moving to palm bay but want to live in a gated community area i like bayside but it's a little pricey are there any other gated area in palm bay that's not so pricey can someone please tell me a little about the jobs,schools,crime ,malls ect..........

thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County