U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 06:55 AM

29 posts, read 20,591 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm a 20 year veteran teacher currently living in Portland, OR. We've only been here a year but can't stand all the gloom and drizzle and have decided to move to Florida. I have secured an offer in West Melbourne with a charter and have another coming in this week from another location. Husband can transfer to either location, as he's a manager for Lowe's.

Here's my question. The other school pays quite a bit more, but it is down in Royal Palm Beach where the housing is quite a bit more. I've done some comparison of several factors via best places websites, but I don't know how accurate the info is. Given the choice between Melbourne-area and Palm Beach-area, which would be a better choice for a small family? Just us 3, daughter will be in 1st grade. We will be renting for 6 months so we can save for a house downpayment. We aren't partiers, but we did move to Portland from Las Vegas and enjoyed choices for date nights. I think we are leaning toward the Melbourne area, even though my pay won't be near as much, but I'm just wondering if there's something I should know in comparison of the 2 places?

Thanks for info!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 07:41 AM

84 posts, read 116,112 times
Not to be a homer, but I'd say Brevard. I think you can make it work in either place. A manager at Lowes and a teacher is doable in Florida, but I think your money will go further in Brevard, depending on where you live, even if you make less teaching in Brevard.
I'm not sure what your priorities and wants are, so its hard to say what specific city in Brevard would be best for you and your family. (Being close to the beach, not close to beach, having a house and boat on the river or a canal, newer house, school districts, price range, ect.)
The school districts Beachside are excellent. Brevard is very kid friendly and there is plenty to do for adults. Melbourne and the surrounding cities all have plenty to offer. If all else fails, you can go to Orlando for the night. A hour away.
Brevard is way more laid back then Palm Beach, less populated, less traffic and less diverse.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Paul View Post
I'm not sure what your priorities and wants are, so its hard to say what specific city in Brevard would be best for you and your family. (Being close to the beach, not close to beach, having a house and boat on the river or a canal, newer house, school districts, price range, ect.)
Well, my daughter will go to school wherever I teach so that's all set. Of course we'd like to end up with a house on the water with a dock, but I'm quite sure those have higher insurance and also higher cost. How much is house/rental insurance on a house, anyway? We definitely want an affordable house, but we only need a 2-3 bedroom ultimately anyway. We've had large houses, which is great; but keeping it clean is not so great.

Family is priority. Daughter is a water baby, so she will be thrilled to just hang out on the beach on any given day. Are the beaches/lakes/canals swimmable in either area?

Old 04-02-2018, 04:53 PM

113 posts, read 116,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klenderman View Post
Well, my daughter will go to school wherever I teach so that's all set. Of course we'd like to end up with a house on the water with a dock, but I'm quite sure those have higher insurance and also higher cost. How much is house/rental insurance on a house, anyway? We definitely want an affordable house, but we only need a 2-3 bedroom ultimately anyway. We've had large houses, which is great; but keeping it clean is not so great.

Family is priority. Daughter is a water baby, so she will be thrilled to just hang out on the beach on any given day. Are the beaches/lakes/canals swimmable in either area?

Beaches are great, however rip currents can be a problem. As to lakes/canals, you do know Florida has alligators right? If you see a body of fresh water, chances are very good that an alligator is living there also. Rental insurance is on the contents of the house as the home owner has the insurance on the house.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Alright, to add another piece to the puzzle - another school in Callahan is interested in me. I know it's kind of the boonies outside of Jacksonville. How would that area compare to the others? I'd rather be closer to the water, so it's unlikely we'd live in Callahan. I don't mind small towns, but I just don't want it to be too hicky. Or where would be a good part of Jax if I worked in Callahan? I know it's a different area, but hoping maybe someone might know.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:15 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,220,891 times
I can't give any opinion on the other areas you are looking at. This is a Brevard forum here so you will likely get info pertaining to Brevard for the most part. In any case, you should come down and visit the areas well before deciding on which place to move to. Moving is stressful and expensive. You don't want to be state hoping every year or two.
My advice is to get down here and drive around. Hook up with a good realtor (I can name a few if you DM me) that will show you around a bit. Then retrace those areas at night and on weekends to see the activities and vibe that neighborhood has. Many people move to Florida each year. Almost as many move out as well. Jobs can be low paying as compared to other parts of Florida. Real estate prices have more than doubled in the last several years. Everything from restaurants to amusement centers cost more.
You do get a good bang for the money when compared to other more popular parts of Florida. The pace is also slower. The response times to many contractors or vendors can be painfully slow or not at all. Just be prepared.
But the weather is great nine months out of the year. The beaches are clean and not very crowded most of the year. The people are generally very friendly. There is some night life in downtown Melbourne and Cocoa Beach. I love the vibe in Cocoa Beach and the surrounding areas. But I will never persuade anyone to move without first taking SEVERAL trips down to investigate. Then when you decide, rent for a year to really get to know neighborhoods and specific streets you would eventually buy into.
I have invested my life's savings into various areas in Brevard with the hopes of eventually moving there. To me, I see it that way as I have made dozens of trips over the last 7 years. It reinforces my desire to be here each time. But the job market and pay have held me back. I keep saying to myself and family soon, very soon. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:01 PM

593 posts, read 1,239,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klenderman View Post
Alright, to add another piece to the puzzle - another school in Callahan is interested in me. I know it's kind of the boonies outside of Jacksonville. How would that area compare to the others? I'd rather be closer to the water, so it's unlikely we'd live in Callahan. I don't mind small towns, but I just don't want it to be too hicky. Or where would be a good part of Jax if I worked in Callahan? I know it's a different area, but hoping maybe someone might know.
Callahan is a rural town that's not close to anything in particular, and the side of Jacksonville you'd be closest to isn't that great either, so you'd be committing to a lengthy commute. You could live in between Yulee and Fernandina Beach (used to live in FB and loved it) and it would be pretty nice and not too far from the beach, a straight shot west in the mornings on A1A/200 to Callahan, but you'll fight traffic until you get to I-95 and then it's another dozen or so miles from there.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:14 PM

13 posts, read 19,016 times
My husband is a teacher and was offered a job in Brevard county. We also have young girls.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 AM

We decided to pursue the job in Nassau and to get away from so much of the hustle and bustle and congestion we are used to. I'll be working in Callahan, but we will likely try to buy closer to the beach next year.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:29 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,220,891 times
Good luck with your new adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County