Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,967 times

Advertisements

Relocating next year from NY. Looking in Northern Fla, Palm Bay, Melbourne area. Diverse family, I’m 60(not retired) have two kids in their 20’s , Mom is 88. Need to find safe, affordable area(200K), jobs, hospital, social life, airport. Prefer northern Fla. east coast. Any advice is appreciated as I need to book a flight in January to check areas. Mom will need aides at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 06:50 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,688,225 times
You will find homes in Palm Bay, Melbourne and Merritt Island to name a few. Your best bet is to rent a car and drive around Brevard to check the many different neighborhoods.
You also should hook up with a local realtor that has at least 10 years of experience, who can suggest particular homes that might meet your criteria of sq. footage, age of home, property size, and proximity to main roads, hospitals, shopping, etc.
Too many variables but seeing for yourself is the first step. Drive around after your realtor rides, at night on weekdays and weekends, to see what goes on after everyone is home from work and school. Get to know the areas and shop in the stores and eat in the local restaurants. Take it all in.
DM me if you want a great realtor.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:08 AM

3,979 posts, read 8,188,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Pags View Post
Relocating next year from NY. Looking in Northern Fla, Palm Bay, Melbourne area. Diverse family, I’m 60(not retired) have two kids in their 20’s , Mom is 88. Need to find safe, affordable area(200K), jobs, hospital, social life, airport. Prefer northern Fla. east coast. Any advice is appreciated as I need to book a flight in January to check areas. Mom will need aides at home.
This area is not really North Florida, We are more central east coast.

1. What type jobs will you need? Best to make sure you have one before you move down. Pay may be less here than up North. But at least we don't have state income tax. Instead of needing heat during the winter you will be paying to run air conditioning. And of course no snow to scoop.

2. Will the kids be taking college classes. We have Eastern State, Florida Tech, and you can graduate UCF in some fields from here, too.

3. You will need cars. Everything is spread out-not up- here so really not walkable. Bus system is very limited.

4. Do you plan to rent or buy? Assume you will need a 3 bedroom. Many of the homes under $200,000 will need updating-maybe roofs, paint, air conditioner, appliances, and flooring. If you decide to rent an apartment. the one thing I remember from the lease in 2004 was that each adult make enough to cover 2 times the rent a month. Plan 20% down and enough to do all the move in expenses. Do you have a dog?

5. This area has Orlando-Melbourne airport. It has limited flights-mostly Delta and American Airlines. No non stop flights on either airline. Check Southwest into Orlado for nonstop and no charge for luggage. Renting a car and driving over might be cheaper than flying into and out of Melbourne.

6. This might be a good area to start .....https://www.remax.com/advancedsearch/ Most houses will look good in the pictures, but they could have problem areas in the neighborhood so definitely check surrounding homes and streets. Ask about flooding. Also stay away from wood frame houses. Some 2 stories are block on the first story and wood frame for the 2nd. Some do not do well in minimal hurricanes. I would not rely on places like Zllow because often listings are older, never were for rent or sale, or sold and never removed .

7. Living in South Palm Bay means a longer commute to most anywhere in the county.

8. Health First are our main hospitals-Melbourne, Palm Bay, and Viera. There is also Weustoff and a couple other hospitals in the area. I am not sure where to look for aides for your mom.

9. Recreation centers around the beach in this area, but the 20 somethings will want to check out the pubs etc. in Downtown Melbourne. We do have a great art festival and close enough for daytrips to most of the state.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:35 AM

413 posts, read 302,269 times
I'm sorry to tell you that Florida is closed now. Too many have clogged our once pristine natural environment. Try California or Oregon. Moving to Florida is no longer a hobby.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 2,481 times
There are better places than Florida. A lot of people move here for jobs, then later realize that it is A right to work state. So less pay.
Originally had the choice of Hawaii or Florida for job. Florida paid a little more, so I came here. Retired here. Moving away As soon as I sell most every thing. Healthcare is aweful,but I live Orlando area. Outer counties not good either.
Good Luck!

Old 12-16-2018, 11:03 AM

31 posts, read 38,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
This area is not really North Florida, We are more central east coast.

1. What type jobs will you need? Best to make sure you have one before you move down. Pay may be less here than up North. But at least we don't have state income tax. Instead of needing heat during the winter you will be paying to run air conditioning. And of course no snow to scoop.

2. Will the kids be taking college classes. We have Eastern State, Florida Tech, and you can graduate UCF in some fields from here, too.

3. You will need cars. Everything is spread out-not up- here so really not walkable. Bus system is very limited.

4. Do you plan to rent or buy? Assume you will need a 3 bedroom. Many of the homes under $200,000 will need updating-maybe roofs, paint, air conditioner, appliances, and flooring. If you decide to rent an apartment. the one thing I remember from the lease in 2004 was that each adult make enough to cover 2 times the rent a month. Plan 20% down and enough to do all the move in expenses. Do you have a dog?

5. This area has Orlando-Melbourne airport. It has limited flights-mostly Delta and American Airlines. No non stop flights on either airline. Check Southwest into Orlado for nonstop and no charge for luggage. Renting a car and driving over might be cheaper than flying into and out of Melbourne.

6. This might be a good area to start .....https://www.remax.com/advancedsearch/ Most houses will look good in the pictures, but they could have problem areas in the neighborhood so definitely check surrounding homes and streets. Ask about flooding. Also stay away from wood frame houses. Some 2 stories are block on the first story and wood frame for the 2nd. Some do not do well in minimal hurricanes. I would not rely on places like Zllow because often listings are older, never were for rent or sale, or sold and never removed .

7. Living in South Palm Bay means a longer commute to most anywhere in the county.

8. Health First are our main hospitals-Melbourne, Palm Bay, and Viera. There is also Weustoff and a couple other hospitals in the area. I am not sure where to look for aides for your mom.

9. Recreation centers around the beach in this area, but the 20 somethings will want to check out the pubs etc. in Downtown Melbourne. We do have a great art festival and close enough for daytrips to most of the state.
I just took 2 non stop flights into Orlando and back recently. American Airlines.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:41 AM

482 posts, read 420,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Pags View Post
Find yourself a job FIRST! DO NOT move without one! So many people make this critical error and suffer for it.

Safe & affordable for 200k may be hard, but not unheard of.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:06 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,239,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPastParalysis View Post
I just took 2 non stop flights into Orlando and back recently. American Airlines.
I think she was referring to the Melbourne airport even though she said Orlando/Melbourne. Plenty of daily flights in and out of Melbourne as long as you're headed to Atlanta or Charlotte.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:24 AM

3,979 posts, read 8,188,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I think she was referring to the Melbourne airport even though she said Orlando/Melbourne. Plenty of daily flights in and out of Melbourne as long as you're headed to Atlanta or Charlotte.
Yes the name of the old Melbourne International Airport is Orlando Melbourne International Airport. It is way confusing and tourists thinking they are flying into Orlando end up with an Uber or cab ride to Disney to add to their expense.

We do have a few nonstop flights now and one to DC is in the works for spring. Cheaper usually to take a shuttle and fly out of Orlando(MCO) and no long layovers in Atlanta or Charlotte.

Orlando Melbourne International Airport|Airports Orlando Area

Old 01-03-2019, 01:42 PM

161 posts, read 322,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBlue View Post
There are better places than Florida. A lot of people move here for jobs, then later realize that it is A right to work state. So less pay.
Originally had the choice of Hawaii or Florida for job. Florida paid a little more, so I came here. Retired here. Moving away As soon as I sell most every thing. Healthcare is aweful,but I live Orlando area. Outer counties not good either.
Good Luck!
NY is terrible and here in Melbourne Healthcare is fine. I left Orlando and I am glad I did, big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County