Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2018, 08:51 AM

69 posts, read 158,311 times

Advertisements

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

Our family moved from Colorado Springs to Palm Bay at the end of August and have slowly been learning about the area, enjoying much of it, getting acclimated to the differences in the meantime.

I have always heard that the Gulf side is where to find all the sea shells, but i was wondering if there are any areas on our side that for whatever reasons might be good to comb - my daughters would enjoy that (and so would i).

If not, all is not lost; my brother moved to Fort Myers (three weeks prior to last year's hurricane) and says there are plenty there, just a bit of a drive from here but would provide more exploration of the State.

Thank-you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 05:13 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,685,494 times
I find plenty in Cocoa Beach whenever we visit. They just may be a bit smaller.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:57 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,178,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
I find plenty in Cocoa Beach whenever we visit. They just may be a bit smaller.

You will find more as you come South, We usually find more during August and in the fall. You can find pretty good size Florida welks when there are waves sometimes. You can see where shell beds are during low tide and check out those areas at low and high tide. Have not found as many as there used to be-possibly because of the sand refurbishing, but we have big baskets of shells all over the house-all from the East Coast South of Indialantic down to Vero Beach mostly. Watch for where the sand bars are and where the reef isn't right on the shore breaking the shells up.

We actually try to do our walks about an hour before low tides because you are basically walking on sand and shells that are usually covered. Some summers we find lots of sand dollars(only take home if they are dead(not green but dried out white) and some years we have seen a lot of sea stars and horseshoe crabs at Spessard Holland and Coconut Point.

You generally can find lots of strawberry scallops all year as well as olives, slippers, jingle, and shark eyes. Once in a while you can find complete Florida Welks up to about 5 inches long, murex, tulips etc. .

Old 12-25-2018, 06:38 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
The days following big storms or after periods of high surf are usually good as shells have been uncovered by the waves. It's hit or miss with some days none and some days more than you can sift through.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:17 AM

210 posts, read 277,653 times
If you go further south to Blowing Rocks Preserve in Jupiter you'll find a larger variety of shells (a 2 hour drive from Indialantic). There are also great photo opps as the waves crash up over the rocks & there's a lighthouse to visit. It's a great day trip.
There are still more shells over on the West but this is a great way to get a shell fix and find different varieties.
You must visit Sanibel Island when you do go West though, because that is undoubtedly the best collection of shells.

Since you like sealife and beach combing I would definitely suggest the book: Florida's Living Beaches by Blair and Dawn Witherington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County