Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 635 times

Advertisements

My parents are looking into moving to Florida, so my husband and I want to follow them. We have a 2 yr old and a baby on the way later this summer. What are Pros and Cons to moving to rockledge? Especially for a young family. How is the jobs in the area? My husband has a degree in business and it's been dead up here trying to find a job that can meet his salary needs. I am also a photographer so I would have to start my whole business all over. Pros and cons and go! Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 06:39 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
The Space Coast is growing again after a hit from the NASA closures, but the SpaceX program and private enterprise have reinvigorated the economy the last few years it seems. As with most any area in the US currently unless possessing certain in-demand skills obtaining a job from out of town is next to impossible. Saving for at least several months worth of expenses is recommended prior to moving so that it allows time to apply/interview for jobs once down here. The SW side of Rockledge and neighboring Viera are desirable areas to live in as well as the Suntree area on the northern end of Melbourne which borders Rockledge/Viera. Have your parents specifically chosen this area? If so you might also consider the Orlando area, which is just an hour away and would open up potentially much more in the way of job options. The Seminole County area NE of Orlando (specifically towns like Lake Mary, Oviedo and Maitland/Altamonte Springs) offer some good employment opportunity with family-friendly neighborhoods and better public schools.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:23 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,176 times
What is your husbands expertise in business? As Kyle19125 mentioned above, job wise, you may be better off, depending on his line of work, in the Orlando area. Far more jobs over there, but also expensive real estate, higher congestion, and no coastal breezes.
I think the schools can be fine in Brevard, do some research and visit several. Most are open to tours should you call in advance to set up.
If you look, jobs are available, just have to see if they match what you want. Get the job first before considering moving unless you have the funds for at least 6 months of living expenses.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:25 AM

486 posts, read 516,811 times
Jacksonville could be another option. Its about 2 hours north, but is a banking/insurance city. So business majors should have a pretty easy time finding a job. I got a lot more interviews in JAX compared to Orlando/Space Coast with my insurance background while living up north. I ended up not having to get a new job as my company was ok with me going remote which is the best option you can get when moving south... Northern Pay/Benefits, Florida living.

We thought we really wanted the Space Coast when we decided to move south, but with the cost/quality of rentals in Brevard in the good school zones, we picked southern Jacksonville. The city has really grown on me in the past 6 months. There are huge sections of the suburbs that are Viera quality or better. The apartment choices are miles above what you would find in Brevard county for your money. This is really similar to the recommendation of Seminole county in Orlando. Personally I would visit all three and see what is to your taste.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:39 AM

9 posts, read 9,251 times
Default Looking to move from PA

Hello! I'm so glad you are exploring using this forum. So far, I've read great advice regarding jobs. I live in the Suntree/Viera area which is a neighbor of Rockledge, zip code 32940. There are a lot of photographers who do business with real estate agencies here. The Space Coast Association of Realtors has a directory. www.space321.com

I am a sales agent with Dale Sorensen Real Estate and have been in this area since 2010. You can contact me directly if you want me to send you more information. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County