Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 03:23 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,774,404 times

Advertisements

What's the general feel of the space coast (Brevard county FL), compared to other places?
Compared to Miami, Orlando, Tampa bay, Houston, LA, Dallas...
Is this place more rural, with more poor people?
What are the people like?
What is it like living there all year around?
Are there neighborhoods with new big stone houses?
The google map street view browsing only shown me cheap looking areas with run down small houses.
Recently some jobs popped up in my professional area in Melbourne, so considering relocating. I'm still undecided between Florida and Texas. Texas has the big cities and a lot of infrastructure, the huge high-quality houses, while Florida has the tropics and warm water beeches that I always wanted. I'm currently in nor-California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 06:30 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,011 times
Brevard is mostly less populated than Miami, Orlando, Tampa and likely the other western cities you mention. The homes are more likely single level ranches, but I do see more 2nd floors added to many older ranches in the canal streets in Merritt Island as well as new builds going up as people like larger homes than what was built 50 years ago on average.
I think suburban to rural accuretly depicts Brevard, again depending on which section as it is quite varied.
Living year round is hot and humid from June to September, with a lot of rain in the evenings and early morning most days in summer. Warm and comfortable most of the rest of the year and cooler in January and February, usually in the 50's at worst but still warmer by day.
Not sure about new big stone houses. I know of maybe one or too that I have ever seen and no more than 2,500 sq. feet or so.
Too many areas to map out. Homes are older 1960's in some areas, 70's to 90's in some parts and more modern in other newly developed areas (like Viera). There is still undeveloped land in Palm Bay and North Merritt Island so things could evolve differently as time passes. Like horses, try Malibar for some larger rural lots.
Why no fly down, drive around and take a week or two to really see for yourself before trying to decide from Google Maps.
You may like what you see, or maybe not. Many do like it here.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:59 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
Brevard county is larger than most Florida counties (70+ miles x 25 miles - 1500 square miles. As such, there is considerable difference between different areas of Brevard. Palm Bay and Titusville are rather rural, while Melbourne, Viera, Satellite Beach, Indialantic, Indian Harbor are more suburban. It's called the Space Coast because of the significant influence of NASA and the Space Center and now the high technology defense industry. We lived there for 27-years, before moving to Destin and found it to be a great family area with a very comfortable year-round temperature.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:55 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,057 times
A friend of mine moved to Cape Canaveral for her job and she hates it. Too many rednecks, strip clubs, uneducated people.

It is pretty laid-back. A bunch of Blue Origin employees filled up a local restaurant when I was there. Perhaps those folks are the wave of the future for the area.

I noticed blocks and blocks of small run-down houses within a block of the beach.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:13 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,774,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
A friend of mine moved to Cape Canaveral for her job and she hates it. Too many rednecks, strip clubs, uneducated people.

It is pretty laid-back. A bunch of Blue Origin employees filled up a local restaurant when I was there. Perhaps those folks are the wave of the future for the area.

I noticed blocks and blocks of small run-down houses within a block of the beach.
Are there more run-down houses than other places, like Dallas, Miami, LA ?
Or can you avoid these areas in your daily life?
Are there more un-educated people than in LA for example?

Old 03-10-2019, 04:48 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,057 times
Hard to say. I was just surprised by the houses near the beach. I don’t think the issues have to do with storm damage as there were multiple cars in the yard, etc.

I think you can probably avoid it. It actually reminds me of what Delray was like in the 70s-80s lol. Not the houses by the beach- those were always nice in Delray. Just maybe a bit trashy as downtown Delray and Federal Highway were in spots.

My friend lives in a gated townhome community that is on the beach. It seems like it was built in the 70s-80s.

I’ve only been up there once since she moved there, so I can only go by what she says. I think if you just want to be left alone it would be okay. If you need nightlife and upscale restaurants, you’d have to drive elsewhere. There are restaurants, etc by the pier and the port , of course.

We did go to downtown Cocoa and it was cute but tiny. I’ve heard Viera is nicer but I really don’t know.

On my way (southbound) home I drove down A1A till it splits off for awhile. I didn’t know places like Indiatlantic and Satellite Beach still existed. Take a day and ride up and down the area. Some areas are nice; I look forward to checking the areas out again. Nothing if not interesting. More like Old Florida as there aren’t humongous high rises all along the ocean.

I don’t know how it would compare to LA as LA is huge compared to this!

My friend just basically drives around and finds other places to hang out. I think Melbourne is one spot.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 03-10-2019 at 04:58 PM..

Old 03-10-2019, 06:41 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,198,377 times
Compared to lots of places in Florida, the value is outstanding for beach property in Brevard. You can buy homes a short walk to the beach in the $300k range. Many of these home are also high elevation protected from storm surge.

I have to think over time this value will get discovered and the homes rehabbed or torn down and property values will go much higher. The same homes in the Miami area in similar locations would be 2 to 3 times more expensive.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:17 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Compared to lots of places in Florida, the value is outstanding for beach property in Brevard. You can buy homes a short walk to the beach in the $300k range. Many of these home are also high elevation protected from storm surge.

I have to think over time this value will get discovered and the homes rehabbed or torn down and property values will go much higher. The same homes in the Miami area in similar locations would be 2 to 3 times more expensive.
In some select spots, maybe, but not county-wide unless the area starts growing like crazy over a long period of time. In South Florida you have a fairly narrow strip of land by the ocean and millions of people nearby, so supply and demand drives up prices. Here, there aren't nearly so many people and the land area itself is bigger, relatively speaking, so the ratio of available properties to potential buyers is much more in the shopper's favor. I mean, there's still a premium to live beachside but it's not ridiculous.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:19 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Are there more run-down houses than other places, like Dallas, Miami, LA ?
Or can you avoid these areas in your daily life?
Are there more un-educated people than in LA for example?
First thing I'd recommend is to stop using Miami, Los Angeles, Dallas etc. as a frame of reference. There's nothing big-city about Brevard County. That can be good if you're looking to raise a family or retire, not so good if you're young and chasing nightlife. Most of the county east of I-95 between Cocoa and Palm Bay is suburban-ish, ranging from quite nice to sometimes not nice at all, but that's pretty much anywhere you go, isn't it? Whether or not a city is "nice" depends entirely on which section of the city you happen to be in at the time. But in my experience, avoiding so-called bad areas is pretty easy here, especially if your real concern is safety and not aesthetics.

The parts that are considered nice generally cluster around the water (beachside or near the rivers), with the exception of the big Viera development. West Melbourne is also considered a good suburb, although not quite as new or pricey as Viera.

The mix of people is all over the place. There's a lot of aerospace/defense/engineering here, and two universities. Plenty of retirees and snowbirds, but not as many as further south. And lots of plain ol' people, for better or worse. I'll say that Brevard is still the kind of melting pot that many areas of Florida have been at times. We pretty much have everyone from everywhere, and to me that's a good thing, and I'll leave it at that.

Stone houses are not a thing here. Typical construction in newer areas is stucco over concrete block.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:21 AM

210 posts, read 276,927 times
When I discovered Brevard County (especially Indialantic) I felt like I'd found a hidden secret. The area is quiet so if you're used to city life, it would be quite a change. I'd say we're more laid back, rather than trendy like Miami. The prices are low compared to most beachside communities in the rest of Florida.

We have a lot of engineers living in Brevard because of the space industry. There are new jobs being added consistently as the space programs expand. There are also a lot of people who work in the service industry, and everything in between.

There are older 50's and 60's homes, even by the beach. There are also gated subdivisions beachside, as well as in West Melbourne, Melbourne and Viera. Stone homes are not the norm here, but you can get a new beautiful home with stucco or brick for a low price compared to many of the cities you mentioned.

I love the weather here. It's almost always sunny and warm. A nice change from long winter months! It does get a little cool in the winter sometimes, but it just makes you appreciate the way the weather is 99% of the time. Even in the winter everything is green and beautiful with flowers blooming year round.

The demographics can look skewed, compared to large cities because of the relatively low population.

There are a large variety of water activities to enjoy here including surfing, paddleboarding, kitesurfing, boating, fishing etc, etc..
Orlando can be as close as 45 minutes, depending on the part of the county you live in so you can hit up all the theme parks and nightlife there during a day trip.

A trip down here & to Texas would be well worth your time because everyone's preferences are different, and nothing can take the place of experiencing the area in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County