Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 09:09 AM

88 posts, read 111,727 times

Advertisements

Call me crazy but we are looking at the affordability of the beach side property in Brevard and realize hurricanes and evacuation are likely.

I had friends in SC when we lived there who hauled a camper inland from their oceanfront home during hurricanes. They stayed while power was off and came back home afterwards.

Anybody have experience evacuating their family with a camper and if so how do you gauge how far to go?

I realize storms make all sorts of last minute flips and turns

But if we are going to live beachside and invest eventually in a home, we want a real plan.

During IRMA my dad spend two days on the highway evacuating in the parking lot of I-95 , I have two young girls and a wife that would lose her mind, so evacuation for us means getting out early.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 09:24 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
I evacuate to a hotel. The particular hotel can vary based on the path of the storm.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I evacuate to a hotel. The particular hotel can vary based on the path of the storm.
That’s what we did last time we had to but it was very expensive and boring for the little ones.

Do you evacuate locally in the county depending on the storm or do you try to get out of the path completely?

Did you have trouble finding a room or getting back home afterwards?

Old 04-15-2019, 11:55 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeens84 View Post
That’s what we did last time we had to but it was very expensive and boring for the little ones.

Do you evacuate locally in the county depending on the storm or do you try to get out of the path completely?

Did you have trouble finding a room or getting back home afterwards?
If you are going to evacuate from beachside, most tend to go to Orlando or Tampa, but if it is not predicted to hit South Florida you might even go South.

Getting out on I-95 is usually a 12 hour backup the day before predicted to hit the area. For Hurricane Francis we worked till 9 PM and then took off later. We got out of the state going US1. We ended up with family in Tennessee since it was Labor Day weekend and figured we might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone. We left there to get back when the storm was still in middle counties of Florida and we saw Jim Cantore reporting from our neighborhood. Coming back the signs in South Carolina and GA. started saying gas up now since everything was closed in Florida. Miserable, rainy, tornado warned drive back with no where to stop to even go to the bathroom on the way in. Our ride back was mostly with the National Guard and Electric Company trucks coming into Florida to help. We had to recognize our exit because there were no signs. Now the exits are painted on the road too. In town they wrote the names of streets on the pavements, too. They were setting up the road blocks as we came into town. That was the last time we evacuated because it was more nerve wracking than the hurricane. We stayed with friends in Palm Bay for Jeanne.

A lot of people beach side just come across the causeway and stay with friends in block homes with shutters. The hard part is the no electricity but more people are getting the whole house generators than in storms past.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
If you are going to evacuate from beachside, most tend to go to Orlando or Tampa, but if it is not predicted to hit South Florida you might even go South.

Getting out on I-95 is usually a 12 hour backup the day before predicted to hit the area. For Hurricane Francis we worked till 9 PM and then took off later. We got out of the state going US1. We ended up with family in Tennessee since it was Labor Day weekend and figured we might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone. We left there to get back when the storm was still in middle counties of Florida and we saw Jim Cantore reporting from our neighborhood. Coming back the signs in South Carolina and GA. started saying gas up now since everything was closed in Florida. Miserable, rainy, tornado warned drive back with no where to stop to even go to the bathroom on the way in. Our ride back was mostly with the National Guard and Electric Company trucks coming into Florida to help. We had to recognize our exit because there were no signs. Now the exits are painted on the road too. In town they wrote the names of streets on the pavements, too. They were setting up the road blocks as we came into town. That was the last time we evacuated because it was more nerve wracking than the hurricane. We stayed with friends in Palm Bay for Jeanne.

A lot of people beach side just come across the causeway and stay with friends in block homes with shutters. The hard part is the no electricity but more people are getting the whole house generators than in storms past.
Very detailed account , thank you very much. I definitely and stowing away a rainy day fund specifically for installing a whole house generator once we purchase or next home. In addition to some shutters as well.

We are waiting to see what the real estate market is doing but we may come on down from St Johns county and find a rental until something that interests us comes available.

My wife wants to buy in Suntree or elsewhere but to me it’s part of living here and it’s something we have to deal with. If all else fails we will break the bank and stay at a Disney resort for a couple days and hopefully be able to get back home to our house.

I’ve notice the beachside of the space coast seems to have tons of houses away from the storm surge zones which in comparison to other areas we have looked at seems to be outstanding. I don’t think I would mind a 70s or 80s block rancher with a pool near the beach and in flood zone X. Seems a fair deal.

Thank you for your feedback!

Old 04-16-2019, 09:22 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times
We were on the west coast when Irma initially was expected to due the run up the east coast. Wrong. It swung up the west coast.

We got evacuated to a local high school but when that facility got overwhelmed we knew we has to bug out.

The drive up the west coast to Tampa was stressful as so many gas stations had no gas or electricity to run their pumps.

The hotel we got to did have some damage but was able to run at a more modest level of service ( breakfast/lunch/dinner menu was eat what we have or forgetabout it.) At least their A/C was running as well as the plumbing for toilets/showers. What a change from the evacuation HS we left !

We are considering a whole house generator at our home, just have not done it yet.

Even if we had to rely on a generator I will be very selective on what power we would use (fridge, chest freezer, lights) and refrain from using it for everything i.e. I would open the lanai sliders and using a Indoor High Velocity Fan in lieu of a/c.

If you do use a camper i hope it has enough fuel to get you far out of harm’s way.

The 2019 Florida hurricane season will officially begin on June 1, 2019, and end on November 30, 2019.

Good luck

Old 04-17-2019, 06:44 AM

459 posts, read 619,958 times
Personally I think it is crazy to buy a home in a dangerous location like the beach. Save the high buying cost and insurance and use that money for a few days stay in a beach front hotel and take day trips to the beach with a picnic, no stress.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:23 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
Personally I think it is crazy to buy a home in a dangerous location like the beach. Save the high buying cost and insurance and use that money for a few days stay in a beach front hotel and take day trips to the beach with a picnic, no stress.
I think there is something special, beautiful, and comfortable about living with a direct view of water. There are risks involved and the cost is high (price, insurance and flood insurance). But nothing compares quite like it for many.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
I think there is something special, beautiful, and comfortable about living with a direct view of water. There are risks involved and the cost is high (price, insurance and flood insurance). But nothing compares quite like it for many.
I agree completely. There’s also something to the serenity and grandness of the ocean. Call me paranoid but I’m very concerned with social media and devices ruining my little ones. Even at their young age, the beach commands their attention without pause. There’s no argument over iPads or phones at the beach. Mom might read a book or take some photos , but we are a family when we are there.

The beach for us is a place that we can step away from the hustle of life. It’s like when you cross the dunes , you leave it all at the beach signs. With everything becoming developed, once you cross those dunes , it’s like it all stops even though you can see it if you turn back and look.

There’s something natural and visceral about being in nature, something I feel like is just in our DNA. I think even young children feel it.

The pool is great, the playground and the lake are nice. But the beach is a wonderful place to cool off in the heat. (If you do it right) to each is own. The ocean is living an breathing and the amount of activities you can take part in with your kids gives us another tool to ward off social media and smartphones.

The risks can be negated somewhat by planning a strategy that’s practical and achievable. That’s why I asked this question . We will want to evacuate early so doing so will mean a very high lodging bill at a hotel inland. I was hoping to gain some perspective from others who Have experience with negating this cost and leaving early with a camper, before the gas wells are dry and the roads are parking lots.

We are considering Oviedo outside of Orlando for this very issue as my wife is terribly paranoid. But I have also somewhat convinced her that a concrete home with shutters and a back up generator out of the flood
Plain could also be a safe option . This could in Melbourne or Viera. We just have to watch school ratings and housing costs.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:47 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
40+ years in SE Florida always within just a couple miles of the coastline. Never evacuated even when the eye passed within 50 miles of my house.

Current house, full shutters/whole house standby generator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County