U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 10:06 AM

25 posts, read 125,353 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving from MA (cape Cod) to Palm Bay florida hopefully over the next 2 months. We have family that live in Sebastian. I work in retail and will be transfering with work. My husband is a landscaper with 18 years experience. We have 2 children 4 and 2. My 4 yr old gets services in school pt ot and speech she was born 4 months early. My son gets early intervention he was 9 weeks early. We have never been to pal bay. We have had our family look at it for us. Has anyone had any experience with the schools? job market? Are there activities to do for kids and families. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:04 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,143,444 times
I lived in Melbourne/Palm Bay for a couple years. My daughter went to Riviera Elementary, that is a pretty good school. Palm Bay high from what I hear is ok.

I can't tell you much about the job market there, but all of Florida is suffering in that department. Our economy is shot, and the state is going downhill. If your husband is a landscaper he is in the right state, but there are SO many. Is he thinking of opening his own company? Or work for someone? I lived here for 13 years, went back to Western Massachusetts last year, and recently came back here to southwest Florida. I think I should have stayed up there. I'm not scaring you, you will have a lot of people do that on here. I'm just being truthful. Florida has completely changed in the last 3 years.

I like the Palm Bay/Melbourne area, always have. The beaches there totally blow away the ones here in Fort Myers/Naples. If you are in Palm Bay you have a choice of MANY beaches there. There are parks all over the place. It all depends on what activities you like to do. If you are talking about family oriented places there, it's not an Orlando. It's more like a beach town area there. There are lots of places to shop though.

I don't know if any of this helps, but I know that area pretty well.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 PM

206 posts, read 1,086,966 times
As was stated...opinions vary here about what you should or should not do. I'm from MA as well and moved to Florida in 1991 with my job. There area MANY landscapers... and many lawns to mow... BUT the truth is that things are getting really tight here and if someone has to "trim the fat" the lawn care may be at the top of that list. I have no idea what the job market is around here, I work from home, my husband works in the same location for 30 years. Actually, we are looking to get out. Our home is for sale in NW Palm Bay.

The elementary schools are nice, you will have to "work hard" and be diligent to keep them on their toes about services for your kids. You need to know the Education Law and what you are entitled to and be ready to speak up about it. Don't expect it to be handed to you... it worn't be.

If your hubby is going to work outside, he will suffer for the first few summers. It's brutal coming from "up north". Your blood needs a few years to thin out. If he drinks lots of water and gator ade...he should be fine.

Retail... with the housing market in the dumps, people don't have much to spend. However there is a HUGE shopping place being constructed here in Palm Bay near I-95. So there should be opportunities for you there. It's about 5 miles from my home.

There are lots of parks around in the neighborhoods and some very nice larger ones not far away. Every kind of sport you can imagine for the kids, lots of churches to choose from too.

There is a lot of traffic... very similar to the Cape in the summer... many people from lots of places and some don't have a clue as to where they are going. LOL.

I do think you should come for a visit and look around for yourselves, check out the area, the homes. There are a ton for sale and many rentals as well. Just make sure you check check and double check that the landlord is not in foreclosure before you decide to rent. Go to he Brevard County Clerk of Courts webpage... you should find lots of info there on the foreclosures. Homes for sale are everywhere.... mine has been on the market since July and we had our first looker just last week. Palm Bay has a website too. The local paper is Florida Today... not the best... but will show you some stuff. There is a mom's page there and you can post / chat with local area mom's your age.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:57 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,143,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfarmlady View Post
As was stated...opinions vary here about what you should or should not do. I'm from MA as well and moved to Florida in 1991 with my job. There area MANY landscapers... and many lawns to mow... BUT the truth is that things are getting really tight here and if someone has to "trim the fat" the lawn care may be at the top of that list. I have no idea what the job market is around here, I work from home, my husband works in the same location for 30 years. Actually, we are looking to get out. Our home is for sale in NW Palm Bay.

The elementary schools are nice, you will have to "work hard" and be diligent to keep them on their toes about services for your kids. You need to know the Education Law and what you are entitled to and be ready to speak up about it. Don't expect it to be handed to you... it worn't be.

If your hubby is going to work outside, he will suffer for the first few summers. It's brutal coming from "up north". Your blood needs a few years to thin out. If he drinks lots of water and gator ade...he should be fine.

Retail... with the housing market in the dumps, people don't have much to spend. However there is a HUGE shopping place being constructed here in Palm Bay near I-95. So there should be opportunities for you there. It's about 5 miles from my home.

There are lots of parks around in the neighborhoods and some very nice larger ones not far away. Every kind of sport you can imagine for the kids, lots of churches to choose from too.

There is a lot of traffic... very similar to the Cape in the summer... many people from lots of places and some don't have a clue as to where they are going. LOL.

I do think you should come for a visit and look around for yourselves, check out the area, the homes. There are a ton for sale and many rentals as well. Just make sure you check check and double check that the landlord is not in foreclosure before you decide to rent. Go to he Brevard County Clerk of Courts webpage... you should find lots of info there on the foreclosures. Homes for sale are everywhere.... mine has been on the market since July and we had our first looker just last week. Palm Bay has a website too. The local paper is Florida Today... not the best... but will show you some stuff. There is a mom's page there and you can post / chat with local area mom's your age.
Well said!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:17 PM

16 posts, read 40,975 times
"Actually, we are looking to get out." - That says it all, me too.

Last edited by T. Perkins; 11-20-2008 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County