U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2019, 04:39 AM

982 posts, read 977,467 times

Advertisements

Fly from Pit to Orlando. Should be more direct flights. Car ride from MCO airport is only about 45-60 minutes once you get your car to Cocoa beach and most of Brevard.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 05:50 AM

133 posts, read 63,660 times
Nelli8810 - there are many direct flights from PIT to MCO (Orlando). I don't get to go to our condo as often as my husband does, and he flies Southwest. You can check out Cocoa Beach Shuttle or any of the other shuttle services for transportation to the coast.

DH flew in this past September and the shuttle ride was $33 each way, and they took him right to our front door.

Oh, and I'm from PIT too for now!

Old 12-09-2019, 09:30 AM

67 posts, read 78,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelli8810 View Post
how good is the public transportation system is around Indialantic? & are the beaches dog friendly?
If you are living in Indialantic, you are either walking, riding your bike, or using your car. You're basically living on an island. There are only two main roads, (running north/south) A1A and South Patrick drive. Public transportation Beachside is not something you would rely on or use regularly.

There are only certain beaches you can bring your dog to. Conova Beach Park is dog friendly. Some beach spots are more chill with dogs, depends on who is there really, if they are going to report you. I think you get a warning then a fine.

Driving from Jax to Brevard is about 2 1/2 hours. I think you'll be extremely pressed for time if you think you'll stop at different places along the way and check out the places you like in Brevard as well in a weekend. You might have to take a couple of trips down here to figure out what location works best for you.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:51 AM

204 posts, read 179,486 times
Hi @nelli8810 I haven't personally used public transportation in Indialantic, but there are many people who only ride the bus to get around. I know over in Palm Bay the system was unreliable, but I haven't heard any complaints about here. If you're able to ride a bike that may be helpful to get to the stops. Here's a link to the transportation company: https://321transit.com/
As far as dog-friendly beaches go, Canova Beach is a dog beach and is at the border of Indialantic and Indian Harbor Beach.https://www.brevardfl.gov//ParksRecr...urBeach/Canova
The other beaches aren't supposed to have dogs, but I see dogs every time I go for a walk.
Hope this helps! If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Old 12-29-2019, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,054 times
We have been looking in these areas too. I would caution you to be very aware of the toxic environment in South Patrick Shores, Patrick AFB area, Satellite Beach, Suntree, etc. They are experiencing a cancer cluster from PFAS used in fire extinguishing foams used liberally on military bases. It sounds like they hosed the foam off the runways and into nearby waterways. It is being identified as a serious problem at over 126 military bases around the U.S.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:27 PM

I believe that only affected the ground water which came from a well. The public water was deemed safe.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:26 AM

12,022 posts, read 12,034,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
I believe that only affected the ground water which came from a well. The public water was deemed safe.
Correct. Drinking Water comes from Melbourne or cocoa for most areas in Brevard

Old 01-03-2020, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 1,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecoast View Post
We have been looking in these areas too. I would caution you to be very aware of the toxic environment in South Patrick Shores, Patrick AFB area, Satellite Beach, Suntree, etc. They are experiencing a cancer cluster from PFAS used in fire extinguishing foams used liberally on military bases. It sounds like they hosed the foam off the runways and into nearby waterways. It is being identified as a serious problem at over 126 military bases around the U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Correct. Drinking Water comes from Melbourne or cocoa for most areas in Brevard
This is quite a disparity in information.
Perhaps more research is prudent, before throwing the 'C' word around for an entire island.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:15 AM

98 posts, read 48,938 times
We are in CA and I am retiring soon. Two of three kids in FL. One in West Melbourne and one in Indialantic.

One question on the thread that I didn't see covered was a "safe" area. My question, too. We would be moving from an area where 400 year old oak trees dropped branches on our house for the first time and have cost us $9,700 to date.

Enjoyed all of the info on this thread so far and I will add both kids love where they are living....West Melbourne and Indialantic.

I am very wary of the hurricane-ridden areas. Thoughts, please?

Best,
Reddog53

Old 01-04-2020, 07:36 AM

Hurricanes are a fact of life in Florida. Most don't cause life threatening damage, but there always is the possibility. I have several homes and a condo here in several parts of Brevard from Palm Bay to Cocoa Beach since 2011. All have sustained some damage. All have stood up and survived (mostly fence, screen and minor roof damage). Insurance helps but high deductibles increase out of pocket and limit actual claims made, at least in my experiences. Flooding is another concern, but luckily has never affected me directly either and I do have several canal front properties in Merritt Island. I also have flood insurance (now mandatory in most waterfronts if you are bank financing) which gives me some piece of mind.
For me, it's not a reason to avoid this area. NASA did't either when choosing it out of many possible locations, decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or