U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2019, 03:42 PM

28 posts, read 17,982 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are looking to move from out of state possibly to FL. Looking at a few different counties, the 10 places in Brevard on our list currently are:

Indialantic
Melbourne Beach
Merritt Island
Micco
Mims
Palm Shores
Satellite Beach
Sharpes
South Patrick Shores
West Melbourne

Trying to narrow if down & plan a trip to visit soon. Looking for any advice on these neighborhoods...the good & bad from those who live there.

Would like to preferably be within walking distance to the beach, at most a 10 min drive.

Looking for safe areas with walkability / things to do / family (& dog :-) ) friendly

thanks!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 08:00 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,041,743 times
Pretty much all the places you listed are within a 10 minute drive or walkable to a beach.
Best to come down and visit to see which fits your needs the best. Just too many variables so it will help to have a knowegable realtor, a car tank full of gas and at least a week to start narrowing down the choices. Newer vs. older housing, your budget, need of a good school, city sewer and water vs septic. Proximity to particular stores, medical facilities, etc. The list goes on. The good news, most of the areas you chose have great sections within, so you should find something in Brevard that will work.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:18 PM

thanks! actually septic is definitely something we want to avoid. any knowledge on / or of resources you are aware of to determine if some places are septic only?

Budget wise we are looking at about 2 grand a month including mortgage, home insurance, & taxes (after 20% down); which in some areas we have been looking prior usually is about 350-400k max.

Proximity to good medical facilities also important.

Ideal would be the ability to get around without a car, whether by public transportation or walking & ability to walk to a dog friendly beach.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:11 AM

75 posts, read 94,300 times
If school age children, Satellite Beach. For 350-400K, you wont have any problems at all finding a house walking distance to the beach, probably with a pool. All schools in Satty stay Beachside, so no busing to mainland will have to happen. South Patrick Shores has some good deals on fixer-uppers. Probably best deals going on right now if you want to get in on a budget. If you want rural, you'll go Sharpes, Mims, Micco, West Melbourne.
Mel Beach is a bit more remote, less crowds. Merritt Island is a whole world unto itself. Some great areas, some bad areas.
I'm in Satellite Beach, Love it.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:24 AM

5,331 posts, read 4,177,828 times
Many years of observation tell me that a 10 minute drive is no different than a 30 minute drive in terms of how often you'll make it. Being walking distance to the beach will greatly increase the frequency of your beach visits. Your money will buy a bigger, newer house across the river but no matter your intentions, you probably won't get to the beach as often as you think.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Many years of observation tell me that a 10 minute drive is no different than a 30 minute drive in terms of how often you'll make it. Being walking distance to the beach will greatly increase the frequency of your beach visits. Your money will buy a bigger, newer house across the river but no matter your intentions, you probably won't get to the beach as often as you think.
thanks ive been hearing this from alot of people & i think i am going to take that advice. which of these are not walking distance to the beach?

Indialantic
Melbourne Beach
Merritt Island
Micco
Mims
Palm Shores
Satellite Beach
Sharpes
South Patrick Shores
West Melbourne

Old 11-18-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Paul View Post
If school age children, Satellite Beach. For 350-400K, you wont have any problems at all finding a house walking distance to the beach, probably with a pool. All schools in Satty stay Beachside, so no busing to mainland will have to happen. South Patrick Shores has some good deals on fixer-uppers. Probably best deals going on right now if you want to get in on a budget. If you want rural, you'll go Sharpes, Mims, Micco, West Melbourne.
Mel Beach is a bit more remote, less crowds. Merritt Island is a whole world unto itself. Some great areas, some bad areas.
I'm in Satellite Beach, Love it.
Thanks dor the info! Are there issues w/ sewer leakage in Satellite Beach still? I had read some articles about it being an issue in April?

Old 11-18-2019, 01:45 PM

156 posts, read 83,280 times
Anything NOT beachside is not going to be walkable to the beach. These would include Mims, Merritt Island, Micco, Palm Shores, Sharpes, and West Melbourne.

Why are Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral not on your list? While we went for a condo, not SFH, we found Cocoa Beach to be everything we want as far as walkability (we are very close to 520) and beach access. Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral also has a very nice bike lane all the way up Ocean Beach Blvd, so you can avoid the traffic of A1A, at least going north from our place.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:56 PM

Thank you! I think that I was thinking Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral had a mostly older population? Not as many kids/families? (We are planning on having children).

Also thanks for clarification on proximity to beach...what keeps confusing me i think when i look at a map is places on the coast, but I guess thats river not beach (like Mims / Sharpes etc)

Old 11-19-2019, 06:29 AM

75 posts, read 94,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelli8810 View Post
Thanks dor the info! Are there issues w/ sewer leakage in Satellite Beach still? I had read some articles about it being an issue in April?
Yes, some of the sewer lines are old and need to be replaced. It shouldn't hold you back from looking into Satellite Beach.

While Cocoa Beach has some excellent schools, I wouldn't recommend moving there if you're planning on having kids. While walk ability is great and bike lanes are great, you'll want to live in a place that is a little less touristy and stable. South Cocoa Beach has some neighborhoods like this, but you'll eventually run into the school problem. I wouldn't recommend Cape Canaveral or Titusville to move (planning to have kids). Some good areas, yes, but over all, no.

Mims, Sharpes and Micco are like rural. Same with Grant/Valkaria. You can get some affordable land and such, but you want to be near the beach, not the river.

Indian Harbor Beach, Satellite Beach and Indialantic is where you should start and then move on outward if you are considering having kids. They have the best schools and near the beach. Prices are still ridiculously affordable, but it wont last long. If you want all the new bells and whistles and new construction, but not near the beach, check out Viera. A lot of people are moving there.

Last edited by Florida Paul; 11-19-2019 at 07:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County