U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Area is a Better Fit Overall for What I am Looking For
Cocoa 0 0%
New Smyrna 1 33.33%
None of the Above 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 01:25 AM

9,585 posts, read 5,031,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra300 View Post
Any thoughts on the New Smyrna area, Vs Cocoa area ?
How do you feel about tall trucks and mullets?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 03:16 PM

145 posts, read 298,491 times
So general consensus seems to be Merritt Island and that's about it out of the two maps that were attached to the original post. Just want to confirm, but seems like that is the take-a-way from this.

Old 06-15-2020, 04:10 PM

982 posts, read 979,347 times
There are many parts of Brevard that are really nice. I happen to like Merritt Island. I also like Cocoa Beach and I bought into both areas and currently rent out my homes and beachfront condo. We will eventually move to Merritt Island with plans to retire at the condo on the beach. I also have several properties in Palm Bay that happen to be great investments. One I would consider living in, the other, I am not as happy with the street it is on.
There are places in Satalitte Beach and Melbourne Beach that are wonderful. There are parts of West Melbourne that are quite nice. There is horse country acerage in Malabar and Valkaria that can be quite nice. Many on this forum rave about Viera, a newer and now built up community. It all depends on your criteria. What works for you and your needs. For me, schools are very important so that effects my choices. I also like being on the water but it can get very expensive beachside, so that influences my decision. I also do not like new cookie cutter type homes, so that influences my decision. My wife does not like anything too hidden with acreage to maintain, so that influences our decision.
We found Merritt Island has the right mix of home style, waterfront, not in the wilderness with decent schools and priced within our budget. It just makes sense to us at this this stage of our lives.

Old 09-26-2020, 04:37 AM

4 posts, read 596 times
New Smyrna is the better one but it might not have all the shopping you want.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamaniac507 View Post
New Smyrna is the better one but it might not have all the shopping you want.
Seems like Merritt Island has the shopping and restaurants from what I’m gathering here.

What is the crowd like in New Smyrna?

Old 09-26-2020, 09:16 AM

98 posts, read 49,907 times
We are looking to retire in FL. What are your thoughts on safety from hurricanes in Merritt Island?

Best,

Reddog53

Old 09-26-2020, 07:51 PM

982 posts, read 979,347 times
Merritt Island is a very large area spanning north to south across several causeways. You will find really good parts and a few not so good parts. Drive around and see what works for you. South Merritt Island can get very expensive with some beatiful homes. Way up north has more acerage and is a bit less developed. In the middle is more populated and you will find a larger mix of neighborhoods. It really is best to see what works for you. I spent many days on several trips before finding the right balance of area vs. price vs. waterfront, etc. Many many choices here. This is why I really suggest renting for a year to see what works before committing to one area.
As far as hurricanes, your guess is as good as any. I have several homes in central Merritt Island, none have sustained any severe damage, thankfully. Mostly fence, pool screen, dock or light roof damage that were not even worth putting a claim in for. But I have neighbor's a few houses down with more destructive damage. I say it is more luck than anything else. Florida gets hurricanes. NASA chose The Kennedy Space center area to launch rockets from after studying storm paths for decades. Major storms usually just bounce away from here, but sometimes will hit. It is just part of living in Florida. There are many homes from the 1960's still standing, so stay prepared, have an action plan should a storm come this way and play it safe. It comes with the territory but it's not enough to scare most people away.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:15 AM

98 posts, read 49,907 times
Default Merritt Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
Merritt Island is a very large area spanning north to south across several causeways. You will find really good parts and a few not so good parts. Drive around and see what works for you. South Merritt Island can get very expensive with some beatiful homes. Way up north has more acerage and is a bit less developed. In the middle is more populated and you will find a larger mix of neighborhoods. It really is best to see what works for you. I spent many days on several trips before finding the right balance of area vs. price vs. waterfront, etc. Many many choices here. This is why I really suggest renting for a year to see what works before committing to one area.
As far as hurricanes, your guess is as good as any. I have several homes in central Merritt Island, none have sustained any severe damage, thankfully. Mostly fence, pool screen, dock or light roof damage that were not even worth putting a claim in for. But I have neighbor's a few houses down with more destructive damage. I say it is more luck than anything else. Florida gets hurricanes. NASA chose The Kennedy Space center area to launch rockets from after studying storm paths for decades. Major storms usually just bounce away from here, but sometimes will hit. It is just part of living in Florida. There are many homes from the 1960's still standing, so stay prepared, have an action plan should a storm come this way and play it safe. It comes with the territory but it's not enough to scare most people away.
Thank you so much for the information! Have 2 daughters living in FL. One is in Indialantic and one in West Melbourne. An auditor that I worked with for a few years lives on Merritt Island. Sounds like a consideration!

Best,

Reddog53

Old Yesterday, 03:09 AM

9,585 posts, read 5,031,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extra300 View Post
Seems like Merritt Island has the shopping and restaurants from what I’m gathering here.

What is the crowd like in New Smyrna?
Tall trucks, backwards hats, mullets and cut off T-shirts.

Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Tall trucks, backwards hats, mullets and cut off T-shirts.
How does it compare to Merritt Island and Cocoa Beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County