Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:32 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,853 times

Advertisements

Hi... and thanks for stopping by my post.

My wife and I currently live in NYC and want to relocate to Brevard Cty in '09.

We would love and appreciate some feedback on the various towns there please.

Work is not an issue, I know I have work there and my wife works on the computer from the home.
We are expecting our first child in Oct. so looking for family areas and concerned with education, crime etc.. the usuals for people

We would rent first off and then explore the surrounding areas as we live there to really check out the areas in depth.

From what we read... we are interested in Viera, Melbourne and willing to check out Sebastian.

How are the barrier islands as well.. Indian Harbour Beach, Satellite Beach, Melbourne Beach ?
And their safety in stormsc coming from the sea ?

We are leaving NYC and no interest in a big city atmosphere which we know we will not find there.. but also do not want too laid back either.. we hope to find a nice happy medium to live and bring up kids.

Any feedback please would be appreciated.

Thanks again for stopping and reading,

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 10:27 PM

30 posts, read 101,872 times
We are moving to Indian Harbour Beach in about a month! Take my email and Ill inform you as a newcomer to the area as to what we think of it! Ive been doing some serious researching on the barriers and neighboring areas and Ive heard mostly good! knk.virtual@gmail.com

Old 05-02-2008, 09:23 AM

Hi 'KenoKween',

Thanks for reading my post and replying,,, I wrote you back... let's be in touch GREAT !!

Michael

Old 05-03-2008, 07:33 PM

250 posts, read 1,469,831 times
Hi, I live in Vero Beach but actually nearer to Sebastian where I spend more time. The crime rate there (Sebastian) is good, the schools are mostly A grades too.

It is a nice area for kids and not city like at all.....it is quiet but it is nice too....there are a few places to eat, there is the usual Walmart and other stores like that too....

The causeway is a nice place to have a picnic and I go walking there at least 3 times a week down by the river....

The beach is nice too and it is a nice drive on the A1A....

You are about 30 minute drive from Melbourne, 15 minute drive to Vero Beach and an hour and a half from Orlando (Disney!!!)

Sue

I am in a rush right now as I have to go to work soon but if you want to ask anymore questions feel free....

Old 05-03-2008, 07:35 PM

250 posts, read 1,469,831 times
Oh by the way Viera is about 45 minute drive from Sebastian....nice shopping area out in Viera!!!!

Old 05-04-2008, 06:02 AM

149 posts, read 701,064 times
We moved to Indian Harbour Beach/Satellite Beach 2 months ago and LOVE it! Good family environment. Good schools. Gemini in Melbourne Beach is the best elementary school in the state. Our kids will be going to Ocean Breeze elementary which is top notch as well. No crime. Stay on the barrier island side. MCO airport only 45mins away as well.

FYI do not speed! Especially in the school zones.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:10 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
viera-newer, nicer, more to do, a little more expensive.
melbourne-pretty nice, some shopping, malls, dining, etc.
palm bay-would avoid
sebastian-safe, nice, laid back, close to beach, but very little shopping, dining, nightlife. ( i live in sebastian), close to sebastian inlet for beach.
vero-nice, safe, but also not as much to do though they have a small mall, have heard the beach called zero beach but it is not too bad.
btw, make sure that you do have work available in florida because that is probably the #1 complaint in florida-the job situation / wages. otherwise, florida is really a pretty good state to live in.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:50 PM

Default you packaged it nicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
viera-newer, nicer, more to do, a little more expensive.
melbourne-pretty nice, some shopping, malls, dining, etc.
palm bay-would avoid
sebastian-safe, nice, laid back, close to beach, but very little shopping, dining, nightlife. ( i live in sebastian), close to sebastian inlet for beach.
vero-nice, safe, but also not as much to do though they have a small mall, have heard the beach called zero beach but it is not too bad.
btw, make sure that you do have work available in florida because that is probably the #1 complaint in florida-the job situation / wages. otherwise, florida is really a pretty good state to live in.
Hi Sandy,

You packaged it nicely,,, Thanks,,, !!

Workwise, I am a Pharmacist and would continue that work for a retail chain i.e. CVS in Florida,, as far as I know.. there is a need. While there I will speak with them.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:01 PM

Wow........... you are right K.R.... much better stats. Thanks

But what about the hurricane threat.. insurance rates, flood zone etc. ?

And do you have to go off the Barrier Islands for shopping ?

Of course I have not been there yet.. but in Pinellas Cty you have to get over to the mainland for almost everything, which is not my cup of tea.. but I think Indian Harbour, Satellite is more developed than where we looked in Pinellas ?

How is traffic going over to the mainland ?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:45 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
it sounds like you can easily afford to live beachside which i do think would be better for you, or viera (where there is a trend towards the younger upscale families). sebastian is more like a retirement community, but if you want safe you can't get safer i would think. look at tcpalm.com for local news stories, including real estate prices, crime, etc. you can look at floridatoday.com for melbourne stories. it is always good to read the local papers to get an idea of problem areas and real estate price fluctuation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County