Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2020, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 16,432 times

Advertisements

Wife and I will be empty nesters soon. We are looking to relocate from Texas to the area. Just wondering about where would be the best place to live.

Shops?
Restaurants?
Things to do?
Is one safer than the other?

Any comments on the area would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 05:54 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,113,793 times
If you're close to downtown Cocoa Beach you've got a lot of restaurants, galleries, bars and shops to walk to plus the beach and A1A is divided with one way traffic at 35 MPH, very pedestrian friendly. Satellite Beach has no town center and to get to the beach you have to cross a very dangerous four lane A1A. A lot more population in Satellite while Cocoa Beach has the same population it had 50 years ago, just under 12,000. CB is a very friendly little beach town especially south of the Kelly Slater statue. Cocoa Beach also has the Thousand Islands for kayaking, an excellent public 27 hole golf course on the Banana River that's very reasonably priced, a great public tennis facility with clay and hard courts and what was at one time the largest outdoor public pool in Florida. If I couldn't live in Cocoa Beach, Indialantic would be my second choice.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:27 AM

280 posts, read 278,581 times
"The Streets" area of Cocoa Beach, which to me is the area between south of the Minute Man Causeway and the Base, is the ideal place to live here. It's a thin strip of barrier island mostly all residential but close enough to amenities in Downtown Cocoa Beach but just far enough from the tourist area.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:59 AM

91 posts, read 164,927 times
The Downtown Cocoa Beach area to me is really starting to explode. I expect it to really bloom if things work out with the economy and Space Industry. Your not worried about kids, so yea, it's a good spot. I'd stay south of the Kelly Slater statue as mentioned above. Still, that area is a tad bit dicey with rentals and economy lodging and such, and you'll still get your tourist ebb and flow through the area.
Satellite Beach doesn't have the downtown as mentioned, but its a bit more residential and doesn't get the influx of tourists that Downtown Cocoa Beach gets. Some people like that. There are no hotels yet (one is coming) in Satellite Beach, so its a totally different vibe. If you visit and drive around, which I recommend, it'll give you a better understanding of the areas. Both have positives and negatives. Satellite Beach is safer than Cocoa Beach.
Location wise "to do" things, Satellite Beach is closer to Downtown Eau Gallie(which is seeing it's own boom), Indialantic has some things to do and your closer to Downtown Melbourne. Really depends on your budget and lifestyle you want and what works for you. You have a lot of good options. It's a great area to live in. Hope your search goes well.

Last edited by Florida Paul; 10-05-2020 at 11:11 AM..

Old 10-05-2020, 04:42 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,663,426 times
Satallite Beach is definetly quieter and sleepier than Cocoa Beach. With that, comes fewer restaurants or late night handouts. So it really depends on your vibe. Also, I think the actual beach area is nicer in Cocoa Beach. Fewer rocks and larger areas of sand. Again, it depends on your interests and liking. I would definetly spend a week checking both areas, day and night, week day and weekends, and see what works for you. Both have there pluses and few minuses so either are great places to check out.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:50 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,113,793 times
I'd add that walking to the beach is a lot more dicey in Satellite than CB. Crossing four lane A1A with a surfboard or fishing gear can be a life-threatening endeavour in Satellite.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 16,432 times
Thanks for the replies. Mainly looking at canal houses south of Lori Wilson park.

Last edited by ACEBAMA1; 10-07-2020 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County