Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2021, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,126 times

Advertisements

I might be accepting a job out there and am wondering what people would like to tell me about the area.

What are the safest areas to live? Are there bad areas to avoid?

Upon looking at realtor, I oddy see houses that are super cheap. What is the deal with that?
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...55p-hide/sby-1

I see it can get rainy and humid, but I'm from MN so having that during the summer, like literally right now, is something I am sort of used to. It's going to be in the 90s and sweaty today for example. But the lack of snow in FL would be a huge plus. I hate snow, hate hate hate hate it.

As for cost of living it looks less expensive. Not sure if I want to buy immediately or not. Housing appears a bit cheaper which is a huge plus, but have to sell my home here first.

What are the people like? Friendly?

I guess if there's anything else I should know that would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 06:03 AM

264 posts, read 338,780 times
Rent first. Homes in the area aren't cheap unless they are pretty far off the beaten path.

Old 07-27-2021, 04:12 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,685,494 times
The weather is definetly a plus if you can get past about 3 months of hot and somewhat humid weather. Also, no real seasons. Yes, it will be cooler than the summer, but no fall colors or winter snow. But on the positive side, it is really nice the rest of the year. There is something about being outside in December and walking around without a coat or even jacket for those who lived in the fridged states.
There are so many transplants from other states that it would be hard to define people and their attitudes being positive or not. Personally the people I meet and neighbor's on my block are very nice and friendly. It is one of the things we liked about the street we are moving to, which by the way has had four other new families moving in from out of state over the last five or so months. So, friendly people seem to be moving in, at least so far, by where we are. It really all depends on the area and specific street you choose.
As Gypssy above mentioned, if not familiar with the area or Florida in general, I would rent first before buying. No need to make that kind of commitment if you never had been to the area much. Once there for awhile, over different times of the year, through storms and such, you will know the pros and cons better and can make a better choice on a specific location to settle into. This market is crazy now, so supply is super low. Prices are higher than ever and choices are slim for both rentals and sales. Just keep that in mind when looking.
One last thing, you will find that timelines on needed work can be quite delayed and waiting is a common trait. This is fairly normal. Finding good and efficient contractors can be a challange at times, so you will want to get to know realtors and other locals that can recommend good contacts so you are not left waiting too long to get work done.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:14 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,936,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTransplant79 View Post
I might be accepting a job out there and am wondering what people would like to tell me about the area.

What are the safest areas to live? Are there bad areas to avoid?

Upon looking at realtor, I oddy see houses that are super cheap. What is the deal with that?
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...55p-hide/sby-1

I see it can get rainy and humid, but I'm from MN so having that during the summer, like literally right now, is something I am sort of used to. It's going to be in the 90s and sweaty today for example. But the lack of snow in FL would be a huge plus. I hate snow, hate hate hate hate it.

As for cost of living it looks less expensive. Not sure if I want to buy immediately or not. Housing appears a bit cheaper which is a huge plus, but have to sell my home here first.
!
The listings you linked to were very small (<1000 sqft?) on small lots and look kinda run down. So you get what you pay for. That said, there are plenty of nice neighborhoods in Melbourne and nearby (think I'd go for Melbourne and not Palm Bay). I find the cost of housing in this area to be relatively low, but rising rapidly, as it is all over.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:15 PM

183 posts, read 146,594 times
Quote:

What are the people like? Friendly?
Friendly, as long as you don't Ilhan Omar the place up.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offset View Post
Friendly, as long as you don't Ilhan Omar the place up.
First thing I saw when I pulled in were Trump flags, love it. No issues there. But please, kick out the damn New Yorkers. Seen a couple of their plates which shouldn't be allowed.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
First thing I saw when I pulled in were Trump flags, love it. No issues there. But please, kick out the damn New Yorkers. Seen a couple of their plates which shouldn't be allowed.
I like you. Please share with the natives a good hotdish recipe? I enjoy tater tot hotdish myself. Skol!

Old 08-10-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offset View Post
I like you. Please share with the natives a good hotdish recipe? I enjoy tater tot hotdish myself. Skol!
Ha ha, I could. I got a couple of them actually. I can post them later if you're serious haha

Old 08-11-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Ha ha, I could. I got a couple of them actually. I can post them later if you're serious haha
lol, that's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
View detailed profiles of: