U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 08:55 AM

65 posts, read 85,755 times

Advertisements

Can someone compare/contrast Tradition and Viera for me?

A little background - we have always lived in NY, it's myself, hubby and 2 kids currently 6 and 8. We are looking to move in the next 3 -5 years (I'm 40, he's 42). We're sick of the cold and really love Florida. I'm a disney fanatic, so I love the 'disney' feel of these planned communities. We also love restrictions to keep a place looking nice. Hubby and son are avid fishermen, and we love to go to the keys for fishing and we usually do disney 2 to 3 times a year.

Just the other day, because of NYCMichael's threads (thanks Michael if you read this), I've narrowed down our whole-state-of-florida-search to the vero beach, melbourne general area. We can then enjoy Disney without being too close, and the keys will be driveable (and of course having all the great fishing in the rivers, intercoastal waterways, etc, will be wonderful too - although gators make hubby and myself VERY nervous!). We've been to Melbourne, Vero and PSL in the past and recently visiting friends, and have always enjoyed the areas. We'll plan a few days at Disney Vero Beach resort on the front and back of most of our florida trips now, to start checking out areas. We find ourselves coming to Florida more and more times each year.

Finding work won't be an issue, we will work from home.

I've also considered the idea of homeschooling the kids. They currently go to a private catholic school (not really because of the religion thing - it's because I like the small size of the school and uniforms and structure/discipline all the kids get). Anyway, Florida seems to have more to offer in educational choices than NY, from public to charter to private to large structured homeschooling groups. I remember when we visited Celebration years ago, they had what seemed to be a nice public school, a Montossouri school, something called a "Navigator" school (don't know what it really was though), and maybe something else??? Anyway, homeschooling has crossed my mind, but most people up here in NY do it more for religious reasons, and that's not where we really fit in. People seem to do it more in Florida just because they're unhappy w/ the school system, so you get more of a mix of people doing it... is that a correct observation?

So any input comparing these 2 communities would be very helpful.

OH, and we'd want a single family, 3 or 4 bedroom, can probably spend up to $500,000 on a house (but honestly don't want a mcMansion - we have a large house now and I'm tired of it - I'd really love a beach cottage, but beachfront is out of our price range), currently pay a bit over $12,000 a year in taxes and get no services for it (no water, sewer, garbage, no sidewalks, street lights, no leaf or bulk pickups, no police, etc), so anything lower is a bonus. Hubby would probably prefer to have a boat in the backyard on a waterway, but I think the community is more important. We also currently have a bit under 2 acres and a pool, and really do enjoy our land and privacy... that's the only part that concerns me about these communities... the lack of land and privacy. But maybe we'd like it if we were living there.

Thanks if anyone can help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 11:06 AM

4,509 posts, read 8,030,397 times
Are you looking at Tradition in Port St. Luice? There are a lot of theads on Tradition, I live there myself and love it. Some people who like the open lot conception and not a Home Owners Association don't...but that's what makes horse races. There won't be a boat in your backyard on a waterway to be sure, but there are a lot of waterways that eventually lead to the ocean and a lot of people enjoy staying along the river. No, you can't keep a boat here unless it fits in your garage, but there are other places you can keep a boat or use a marina. For that matter, rent one or make friend with someone who has one and pay for the gas (especially at the prices these days).

I love it because it's friendly, well kept, new people of all ages, sidewalks, parks, play areas for kids, a dog park, grocery and other shopping is right here, get on Interstate 95 in a minute to anywhere, cable and internet is included, monthly events for the whole family (that many people from outside of Tradition also come and enjoy)...and I could go on and on.

I have no information about Viera or even where it is...but I know that of the various places I HAVE lived in Florida, I like it here!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County