Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 09:32 AM

140 posts, read 142,462 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

We are planning on moving to Florida next year after my husband retires. I have two daughters in Florida. One in Indialantic and one in West Melbourne.

My daughter in Indialantic called last night to tell us that her homeowners insurance had been canceled effective June 15. They were notified of an end of July cancellation date and just had a new tile roof put on after damage from a hailstorm.

She sent us an article noting that 68K homeowner policies are to be canceled by FedNat insurance. Lack of the ability to obtain a good homeowners policy would be a big concern for us.

Has cancellation happened to anyone on this forum? And if so, what did you do to remedy that. Thank you!

Best,
Reddog53
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 10:18 AM

2,745 posts, read 1,779,432 times
Yep, FedNat cancelled mine as well, effective end of June. Beachfront condo so roof isn't an issue, they're just doing a wholesale reduction of exposure to this market.

My broker is getting a quote from Citizens, may very well be the only option available.

Old 05-26-2022, 05:36 AM

264 posts, read 337,553 times
We had Universal Property through Brightway for the condo homeowners. Very happy with their rate as well as Brightway's customer service. We checked with Universal when we bought the house in Palm Coast but ended up with Olympus through another local broker.

Your best bet is to find that local broker and have them search. We also got a quote from Progressive for homeowners on the house, but since for now it's a second home, Progressive wouldn't underwrite the policy. Once we get it homesteaded, we'll likely switch since Progressive was about $300/year less than Olympus.

Good luck.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:31 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
I have several different companies for my rentals. More and more are dropping out of Florida. Then if an older house, you are stuck with Citizens. Not a good thing

Old 05-27-2022, 06:24 AM

459 posts, read 619,333 times
St Johns cancelled my renewal and I subsequently found out they had actually folded. My insurance on a 2005 house well inland went from $900 to $1900. I am selling off the rentals before the do-do hits the fan.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:53 AM

140 posts, read 142,462 times
Good morning,

I have read that Gov. DeSantis will be putting legislation in place to help remedy this situation. We are wondering if the critical insurance issues are a deal breaker for us.

Best,
Reddog53

Old 05-28-2022, 06:04 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
See my post I just wrote in in the other thread on benifits of living in Brevard. It hopefully answers your insurance concern.

Old 05-31-2022, 04:01 PM

9 posts, read 17,608 times
Cancelled by FedNat after a catastrophic ceiling collapse; hooked up with USAA.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:23 PM

16 posts, read 23,906 times
I had USAA several years ago and was canceled following several storms within the state though I never had damage or made a claim. This is fairly common for Florida. Having your insurance drastically increase, or being told to make a very costly improvement/repair, or having your policy canceled. My daughter's roommate in St. Pete just had his insurance premium triple so he is considering selling the place and moving inland. I know several retirees whose taxes and insurance has risen so high that they were priced out so moved to south Georgia. Advice: consider your housing budget carefully leaving a cushion for repairs/improvements.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:29 PM

283 posts, read 288,791 times
Those houses along OBX that are being dragged into the Ocean probably have cheaper insurance premiums than my house here in FL, go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County