Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 04:10 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,710,793 times

Advertisements

We are going (and taking the visiting Fam) to Merritt Island National Wildife Refuge on Monday - mainly to see the manatees at Haulover Canal viewing platform.

However, I was looking for any jewels from the locals? If you have been, what do you suggests? Can't do much walking, Dad needs oxygen (not constantly, but I don't want to create an emergency for him). We are likely going to do the above and drive the Blackpoint Wildlife drive?

Are those two things likely the best for wildlife viewing? Let me know if there is something there that you like to do....we are on a critter hunt!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 07:50 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,008 times
You can always drive out to the beach (Playa Linda) and see what a truly untouched Florida beach looks like (just don't go down to the very end of the road that parallels the beach to lot #13...nudity is accepted there, but no worry, it's miles from the first parking lots). Parking is on one side of the dunes and the beach is a very short boardwalk over the dune. Also, there are a few pull-offs from the main road heading out to the beach that will give some really close views of the launch pads. If there's a shuttle on the pads, you can easily see it without the use of binoculars. Even without one out there, it's neat to see the pads. It's less than a mile away at some points. You'll also see the huge VAB off in the distance. It's really neat for someone who's never seen it before. FYI, the reserve is closed 3 days prior to a launch.

I've never done the wildlife drive, but I've heard it's nice. Expect to see many birds and possibly see: gators (always look in every roadside ditch out on the island), turtles, rabits, raccoons, eagles, and dolphoins/porposes out in the deeler waters like when driving over the bridge.

If anyone is a space history buff, there are two parks in the Titusville area (just minutes from the area you're going to) that overlook the river and the launch pads. One is located here, the other right across from it at this location...within 100 yards of each other, just across a small lagoon. The northern one focuses on Gemini missions and the one to the south focuses on Apollo missions. The cool thing is that each of the astronauts involved in those launches cast their hands in a bronze plaque. The plaques are located along the walkway leading out to the shore. This park is very near to the Maxwell Brewer Parkway...the bridge that heads out to the NWR, so it's easy to get to.

One more FYI...this is the route I'd take from Oviedo. It'll be scenic in itself. Click Here. It takes you out over the St. Johns River where you may get a glimpse at some gators and birds...and rednecks on airboats if you treat them as wildlife! Then on the return trip, take Hwy 50 for some different scenery. 50 crosses the headwaters of the St. Johns along this route and you'll get to drive through the infamous town of Christmas, FL (everyone who lives in Central Florida should see this once in their life). They're both practically the same exact mileage each way...just different scenery.

And one more side note...
If anyone is interested in seeing it, there's the Fort Christmas Historical Park. I'm not exactly sure what period the fort is from...likely the mid-1800's. It's a replica fort since the first was destroyed, and they've been adding period homes from the area to the park. The fort is free to enter and tour and they have some really neat local artifacts. Lots of heritage in one little museum. Learn a little about the local families (as a non-native or long-timer of the area, you likely won't know any of the names, but I knew a bunch of the decendants from school and baseball...pretty neat to learn their roots to the area). Kids really love the fort since it's like a giant playground (there si a "normal" playground on site too) and adults love it since it's surprisingly a decent museum. Since you won't spend all day at Merritt Island, consider making this a stop on the way home. I typically did after taking people out to the NWR.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:18 AM

Thank you very much! We are heading out momentarily!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:16 AM

Oops! Forgot to post the link to Fort Christmas!

Click Here

And here's a somewhat official website: Fort Christmas - Christmas, Florida - Museum & Park

Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,041 times
One more FYI...this is the route I'd take from Oviedo. It'll be scenic in itself. Click Here. It takes you out over the St. Johns River where you may get a glimpse at some gators and birds...and rednecks on airboats if you treat them as wildlife!

Why do people assume that just because you are on an airboat they are rednecks???

Old 11-23-2009, 02:01 PM

Once again, the internet fails to deliver any humor.

I used the term in a joking manner....as the rest of that quoted statement will elude to.

In any case, I challenge anyone to head out to that area, find someone on an airboat, and not label the riders as rednecks! I'm not implying a good or bad label on the term (having been labeled as such in previous years of my life)...but there are specific criteria for someone to have to be labeled a redneck. The fact that they are on an airboat in a remote part of the St. Johns in an area not known for anything but good airboat'n already gives them 2 points toward a redneck confirmation.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 PM

Well, I thought it was funny...folks need to stop taking themselves too serious!

I left before getting those last links, but we ran out of time actually...lol!

Supposedly, the Black point drive takes 40 minutes to drive, well it took us two and a half hours...HAHA! We saw so much cool stuff, took so many photos, and just had a great time overall! What an absolutely beautiful place! I need to sit with my bird field guide and figure out exactly what I saw today! Too many to count! Couple of aligators also...up close! but not too close!

Unfortunately, the manatees did not want to be seen today, but that's ok...it was an overall, beautiful day!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:17 AM

Eh, I doubt she meant any harm...as I didn't.

The best time to see manatees is when it gets colder out. Typically between January and March. The best place near the Oviedo-area is Blue Spring State Park. Absolutely one of my favorite parks in Florida. The tough part is going during peak manatee viewing times. If you go on a weekday, you're nearly guaranteed to get in/ Go on a weekend, especially later toward noon, you might get shut out and have to wait a while to get in. The park has a capacity limit. If you call ahead before going, the rangers will tell you how many manatees were counted in the spring that morning. A "good" manatee day would be a count of 20 or more. I've seen counts in the 60+ numbers before. So many manatees it looked like you could walk on them!

Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 PM

228 posts, read 536,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post
One more FYI...this is the route I'd take from Oviedo. It'll be scenic in itself. Click Here. It takes you out over the St. Johns River where you may get a glimpse at some gators and birds...and rednecks on airboats if you treat them as wildlife!

Why do people assume that just because you are on an airboat they are rednecks???
Who else is smart enough to drive a boat with no reverse or brakes??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County