U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:51 AM

317 posts, read 1,166,313 times

Advertisements

I just came back from visiting Satellite Beach in search of a home.

I had found a home, built in the 60's, .19 lot, 1400 square feet...but on a navigable canal. Price $499. What I am about to share is what the "total" price of a home for $499 is worth. It doesn't matter that it is on the water or not. The price is $499 period.

The taxes would be $6,000 - $7,000.
The insurance would be $4,000 - $5,000.
Home Owners Insurance $2,000.
Additional flood Insurance $2000.

This particular community, thank God, did not have additional "private, gated community, association costs, but many of them do.

So. Do I think I could ever retired in FL, No way! On the high side, for example, it would cost $16,000 per year over and above the mortgage cost, even if I owned the home. Therefore, not a penny better than the property taxes here in NJ. Quality of life is a whole other story. But the idea of breezing down to FL for retirement...it ain't happening unless I plan on working till 'forever...which just may be the case for many of us anyhow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 11:06 AM

13,495 posts, read 35,501,190 times
Wow Nancy, that is astronomical!!! Don't feel alone~I'll be working forever, too. When or IF we make our big move, we would have to live in an apartment or small condo. Half a mill is pretty much out of our range.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Hi Jammie

I love your posts today!

Old 01-07-2007, 11:25 AM

5,701 posts, read 23,082,273 times
Can you afford it? and Is this what you want? Yes or NO.

You must answer the question and proceed. Any area with water access and a prime tourist area will be expensive. Can you buy a home for $499K someplace else? What is your 2nd choice? maybe a 3er choice?

We must be realistic, taxes, insurance, and other fees not to include utilities will add to the yearly cost of a home. Remember any other location with water access will have the same cost. But we must make a decision.

I'm very familiar with Satellite Beach and I can afford a home for that value. But I won't buy, must meet my needs and desires. I suggest to keep looking, but if your heart is set on this property and you can afford it---proced and purchase, but don't look back....

Old 01-07-2007, 12:26 PM

2,909 posts, read 13,475,463 times
Those prices are insane! Theres much cheaper homes in Florida in other locations. If you want to retire somewhere warm and affordable, theres Texas. $150k gets you a very nice big house

Old 01-07-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Sunrico

WHY wouldn't you buy? I know, or at least I think I know, that you have more experience with that area than anyone else on this forum --- even if it was years ago. And on one of your posts, I think you said you eventually wanted to retire there. So please explain your position. I am very interested and you seem VERY knowledgeable and level headed.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:34 AM

17 posts, read 64,732 times
Smile Satellite beach

Hey Nancy Its great to see ur posts again I thought you have left us LOL
So what's it going to be Flordia or bust???? I think I saw in one of ur post that you have sold ur home here in NJ, so I guess by reading this post you are still looking in Flordia.
This post caught my eye, b/c I own a home in Satellite, and live here in Jersey (hopefully not 4 ever) house is up 4 sale since Oct. and it is murder, no lookers nothing. My husband and I are looking foward to moving to flordia and even though I read all these posts I am trying not to get discouraged but I find them very helpful, funny, and scary. I know the cost of owning this home in flordia has double in expensives from just over a year ago, but I love going there and I enjoy the weather (not when it storms!!! YIKES!!!)
Well good luck in the new year and I hope you find what it is ur looking for. I will be following ur posts so keep em coming. Marilyn

Old 01-08-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Mygtstang

I'm going to send you a PM. Please look for it and I look forward to talking with you further (and not bothering everyone else with the gory details)

Thank you for remember me

Old 01-08-2007, 10:29 AM

808 posts, read 3,096,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Those prices are insane! Theres much cheaper homes in Florida in other locations. If you want to retire somewhere warm and affordable, theres Texas. $150k gets you a very nice big house
Texas is not cheap...take a look at the forums there and you will see something similar as Florida.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:47 AM

2,909 posts, read 13,475,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
Texas is not cheap...take a look at the forums there and you will see something similar as Florida.

Theres million dollar houses for the rich, theres $100k to $200k houses for the middle class and theres houses as cheap as $20k for the lower class. You cant find diddly squat in south Florida for under $125k and a $125k Florida house is under $40k in Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
View detailed profiles of: