Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 04:53 PM

331 posts, read 1,541,994 times

Advertisements

My former co-worker and his wife decided to go into semi-retirement at the end of the year. Their original plan was to move to Melbourne area(most likely Satellite Beach) since they had some distant relatives there, visited on multiple occasions and for the most part liked the place.

But recently those relatives moved back north. And with the real estate taking a big dip in the SW Florida, they decided to take a closer look. Since I snowbirded in that area in the last couple years, he asked my opinion. After hearing my say about my preferred areas of Sarasota and Venice, he put it on his "must see" list. After visiting they pretty much tossed Satellite Beach aside and plan to move to Sarasota as soon as their home sells.

The problem that I warned him about, and that he seems to disregard so far, is that they are in the mid 50-ies and not fully retired. Based on his estimate, soon after they move, they'll need to earn at least $1000(perhaps at least $1200)/month to supplement their income at least for the next 5 years. Also, their 20-year- old son will be living with them until he's done with college, and he wants to earn about $800/month for his pocket money. They plan to do that by getting into retail or waiting tables.

But the economy being what it is in SW FL right now, I'm not sure if they can get even those kinds of jobs. I know by experience, since I thought about living a modest life on a SW FL retail salary, but wasn't able to even get sufficient hours, so eventually I realized that it's much easier to be a snowbird for 4-5 months/year.

Still, after my numerous warnings he doesn't want to give up Sarasota and keeps insisting that something will turn up for them, since they're not asking for much(he doesn't quite realize what "much" means by SW FL standards these days) to begin with.

Based on what I've heard from three acquaintances(2 moved, 1 still in the area) the kinds of jobs and pay they are looking for are much more plentyful around Melbourne and Palm Bay.

This fellow was a really good buddy of mine while we worked together, so I want his move to be a success story. And, well, I now feel somewhat responsibe for the outcome, since I suggested Sarasota in the first place. If you are familiar with situation in either or both of these areas, I would greatly appreciate your opinions on what he can expect there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 05:57 PM

17,486 posts, read 38,946,080 times
As much as I love Sarasota, the fact is it is one of the worst job markets in the country right now. I don't remember which thread it was on, but there was a link to 100 job markets in the country, and Sarasota was the worst, only behind Detroit.

It is NOT the place to try to get a job right now, and I only wish I were exaggerating.

Good luck.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:59 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,534,177 times
Jobs are'nt much better in the Melbourne area either, unemployment is at an all time high here.

Last edited by Denise in Fla; 10-16-2008 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County