U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 07:23 AM

6 posts, read 37,499 times

Advertisements

thinking about relocating to Brevard County from Dallas area. I read the public schools are great but my kids are in private school and I am fearful of public school. When a school handbook has to include phrases such as "no dog collars" I really worry about the type of student attending the school. I like West Shore Junior/Senior High. It seems like a good fit for my kids. How difficult is it to get in? What about life on the east coast of Florida? We visited Tampa this summer and I thought it was a bit weathered and run down. Is that true of the space coast, also? What about the general mentality of the population? Is it true that there is a real East Coast feel to the Space Coast - as in Jersey, NYC etc? Any thoughts would be helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 08:16 PM

66 posts, read 296,491 times
Hi!
I have had a couple of years of dealing with the brevard county school system. We moved here to the space coast about 2 years ago from the west.We have found that the schools and teachers here mostly dwell on the FCAT tests that the students have to take every year. If the students do not get a passing grade, they are not supposed to be able to go on to the next grade. The schools and teachers have their raises and funds based on the scores of those FCAT tests. So thats really what it seems they care mostly about...(in our experience anyway).
We also recently pulled our first grader out of the normal public schools and put her into a charter school. Her public school teacher had told us in the middle of the school year that she was not going to let her move on to second grade because of her reading skills. We felt the teacher had already given up on her(the teacher did NOT offer any suggestions on what to do to help her), so we took her out of there. The charter school has really helped her, and her current teacher has done wonders with my daughter's reading skills.
There are lots of info on the net about the charter schools. Seriously, check them out...but stay away from the Palm Bay charter school.I've heard from co workers that its not so good.
The best public schools are on beachside...the best private schools is the catholic school in melbourne(I can't think of the name right now). Its by University drive and is close to the college there.

I don't know anything about the area being like the north east,but there are tons of people here that are from that area.
Its a nice area..a lot better than the west side of Florida.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 14,599 times
I'm also thinking about relocating to the Melbourne area and am looking into schools. I have 4 children, so am looking for information on elementary, middle, and high schools. We come from a school system that is very highly rated in the country, but as such pushes the kids so much. A couple of my children do okay with that, so I need schools that are challenging, ultimately plenty of AP classes in high school. But I also have a child who in any other school system would be considered "average", but here just falls between the cracks. I feel I need to find schools for her (middle then high), that would not be over the top as they are here, but would give her plenty of room to progress. Any suggestions?

Old 08-11-2007, 02:20 PM

30 posts, read 178,926 times
hi i noticed a posting from you that mentioned the best private school is a catholic school in melbourne do you remember the name. I'm relocating to brevard from canada and would like an excellent private school in brevard (Elementary). Thanks for your help. also if you know of any other good private or private schools to avoid.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 9,202 times
I am also relocating to Cocoa area, any input on schools there? I think we are stuck with Saturn Elementary there, not sure I'm very impressed, would like to know of any charter schools in area. Any help would be most appreciated.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:35 PM

574 posts, read 1,951,473 times
[quote=Beckerd;422917]Hi!
I have had a couple of years of dealing with the brevard county school system. We moved here to the space coast about 2 years ago from the west.We have found that the schools and teachers here mostly dwell on the FCAT tests that the students have to take every year. If the students do not get a passing grade, they are not supposed to be able to go on to the next grade. The schools and teachers have their raises and funds based on the scores of those FCAT tests. So thats really what it seems they care mostly about...(in our experience anyway).

I am a public school teacher in Volusia County, just north of Brevard. While it is true that FCAT carries a lot of weight, a lot more than it should, the only grades effected as far as promotion to the next grade are third and tenth. If a student fails the FCAT in tenth grade, he or she has five more chances to take it. FCAT is only administered in third through tenth grades, except for science which is also administered in eleventh grade. Second, while the schools who are rated A because of FCAT (and do not be misled, just because it is an A school does not mean its better than the C school around the corner, it just means they probably have more middle and upper middle class children and all that goes with that, such as children who have had more enriching experiences at home and whose parents are more involved in their childrens' educations) or who show improvements in the course of a year do receive bonuses, our raises are not in any way, shape or form connected with FCAT. Our raises are based on seniority only. Plus, there will be no raises this coming year anyway due to major budget cuts in the state of FL. We have already been told to prepare for that. Raises could not be strictly connected with FCAT either if you think about it because that would mean kindergarten teachers like me, band directors, art teachers, social studies teachers, etc. would never get a raise. Keep in mind too that the comment you read in the handbook is because public schools have to accept everyone, while private schools do not, so yes, there are all kinds of students from all walks of life. I have found though as a parent that children tend to gravitate to the ones who have similar values to theirs. My three children (and as of this past year two have already graduated) have never chosen a friend who is not a good role model, at least as far as I know, LOL. Those two who have graduated went to school with me when I taught in a local Title I school, which has a very high population of lower income and transient children too. Please also be aware that private schools have their share of problems as well. You just have to do what you feel is best for your family. Good luck in your decision and good luck with your move.

Nancy

Old 07-14-2008, 11:49 PM

49 posts, read 201,463 times
have you checked out the brevard county public schools website?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:59 PM

110 posts, read 523,869 times
Thumbs up Don't judge by the handbook....

I would not be overly concerned about the attire restrictions in the handbook. If anything it is an indicator of a tightly run school. My children are in schools in the Chicago suburbs. They have received a great education. They are very strict about student attire even though it is a public school. I attended paraochial school growing up. I had some guilt I did not offer my children the same education. Although a public high school has a more heterogenous group of kids with different needs, they have far greater resources. My children had educational and extra-cuurricular opportunities few experience. Overall the school scores quite high on the SAT/ACT tests. Now having said all that, their school does not appear in the lists of the top 1000 in the US. I can assure you that even though the shcool has not attracted enough attention to be in the beauty contest, they do a great job educating kids. We happen to have a condo on the space coast. When I saw the high ranking of some of he area high schools there, made me wonder if should send my kid down there for school.

Newsweek does publish a list of the 1000 best high schools in the US. There are plenty of schools in Florida that make the list. Note that some of the Space Coast schools are ranked fairly high. I am sure there are plenty of parents in the aerospace industries from that area that may be influencing that. Note that Cocoa Beach High is number 103 in the US. Certainly not a bad ranking. How bad can the school be?

Here is a link to the list America's Top Public High Schools America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com. You can search the list for all the highly ranked high schools in Florida. Hope that helps.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 8,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunniepie View Post
I am also relocating to Cocoa area, any input on schools there? I think we are stuck with Saturn Elementary there, not sure I'm very impressed, would like to know of any charter schools in area. Any help would be most appreciated.

Not the case, Brevard County schools offer a school of choice program, charter schools and private schools. See the Brevard county schools web site for further details. Schools of choice are a great alternative to neighborhood schools, they have entrance based on a lottery system and offer corridor busing. The biggest advantage is they are public - no cost- and the teaching styles vary resulting in a much better education.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,194,530 times
My daughter started schooling in Palm Bay at Riviera Elementary and it was a very good school as far as I saw. I like Brevard county, the schools are much better that the SWFL area. I just left there and thankfully my daughter was in a good school there in Cape Coral at Pelican Elementary. I di see a huge difference in the schools in Florida compared to MA., the schools here are WAY far ahead in terms of learning up here. BUT there are good schools in FL(Brevard) as long as you do the research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County