Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 11,141 times

Advertisements

Maybe moving to Melbourne Florida. Just wanting opinions and comments from people that actually LIVE in or near the Melbourne.

What are the pros and cons?? What is there fun to do in Melbourne? What are the people like and jobs. What should someone beware of?

Are there busier areas...constant traffic issues in particular places? Are there any affordable rentals, pursching of homes left or is everything a condo?

Not to be mean, but this is for those actually living IN the area, NOT from a visitors point of view. I have visit 4 times already.

What is it REALLY LIKE living in or near Melbourne???
All comments are greatly appreciated. Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 11,067 times
Smile melbourne, fl

I moved to melbourne about a year ago, relocating from Houston, Tx.
I REALLY like it here. The traffic is not that bad, the air is clean, the people are nice and there is very little crime. Its nice to have a commute that is along a pretty river VS. the dirty freeway in H-town.
Things to do here are pretty low-key. There aren't any upscale restaurant chains (here I'm referring to PF Changs or Ruths Chris ) No upscale places to shop (pottery barn, west elm) There is a Macys and a Dillards at the local mall....a Havertys and a norwalk, if you want nice furniture (I'm an interior designer, so thats why I've included furniture!) Downtown historic Melbourne is fun, and they have Friday fest once a month, where they close off the streets downtown and have food and live music. There aren't any night clubs to speak of (like the ones in Houston, anyway.) But I'm not into that, so it doesn't matter to me.
The beaches are clean and the water is pretty and blue most of the time. You can see dolphins swimmming in the Indian River (so do manatees, but I've never seen one.) and you can see whales, dolphins and turtles beachside. last fall I walked down to the beach and watched the shuttle take off....very cool. (Kennedy is about 25 miles north of here.)
I live in a 3/2/2 a 1/2 block from the beach and my rent is 1175 a month....expensive, especially since the house is small and bare bones, but I'm paying for the location, not really the house itself. There are places in melbourne/palm bay that are affordable, and there are houses here that are way over-priced.
Wages are about what I've heard in other places in Florida...a little low. I'm disappointed about that.
The high school here is pretty good....my son likes it....and its "A" rated.
If you want to live somehwere in this area that has lots of places to shop, and is family friendly, I'd recommend Viera (north melbourne)
Overall, I think melbourne is a wonderful place to live.
P.S. I was laid off from my job about a month ago, thanks to a downturn in the housing industry and I'm probably going to have to move.....which is a total bummer because I don't want to leave this place!

Old 02-20-2013, 03:22 PM

12 posts, read 44,446 times
I lived in Melbourne for a couple of years and didnt mind it at all. My only issue was I had a train a few hundred feet behind my house..lol Some areas are sketchy and no matter where you go, you'll find the bad neighbors, but all in all, IMO anyhow, I liked it. Im in Cocoa now and want desperatly to go back to melbourne! I have, however, heard that since i left 2 years ago, things have been going downhill. I wish I knew specifics, but you will always have 2 people with total opposite opinions on the same thing. I lived on Wisteria Dr and it was pretty safe. Stay away from University ave area and I heard Babcock area is going down although it was right around the corner from wisteria. West melbourne is supposed to be nice, and Ive HEARD that Eau Galle CAN be sketchy. Hopefully others have more info for me, Just stay away from the city of Cocoa..lol

Old 02-21-2013, 05:33 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2fla View Post
I moved to melbourne about a year ago, relocating from Houston, Tx.
I REALLY like it here. The traffic is not that bad, the air is clean, the people are nice and there is very little crime. Its nice to have a commute that is along a pretty river VS. the dirty freeway in H-town.
Things to do here are pretty low-key. There aren't any upscale restaurant chains (here I'm referring to PF Changs or Ruths Chris ) No upscale places to shop (pottery barn, west elm) There is a Macys and a Dillards at the local mall....a Havertys and a norwalk, if you want nice furniture (I'm an interior designer, so thats why I've included furniture!) Downtown historic Melbourne is fun, and they have Friday fest once a month, where they close off the streets downtown and have food and live music. There aren't any night clubs to speak of (like the ones in Houston, anyway.)
Viera has some of those nicer stores/restaurants you are talking about. Melting Pot, World Market etc.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
Melbourne area is a great place to live -- We lived in Satellite Beach (suburb) for 27 years. The weather is good year round; there is easy access to clean, beautiful beaches (particularly if you live beachside); traffic (except for Palm Bay) is very manageable and not overly congested; the schools are quite competitive and highly regarded (Satellite, Viera, Cocoa Beach have been highly rated); the entire area has somewhat of a small town feel ... with the advantages of easy access to shopping, restaurants (Viera, Indialantic, etc), Orlando/Disney - 50 miles, Space Center/NASA, Cocoa Beach. The housing market is very reasonable (not overpriced - and certainly more value for the dollar than San Diego) -- and prices in general are also lower than in major cities. -- I would move back in a heartbeat ... except for the grandkids, whom we moved to Destin 1-2 years ago to be nearer.

Downside (?): Depends on what you are looking for. I've heard some young people complain that there isn't that much to do, but, not sure what that means. The job market (at least for higher paying Aerospace jobs is pretty much limited to Harris, NASA and Northrop-Grumman). Palm Bay is very congested and poorly zoned --- Again, it pretty much depends on what you are seeking.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
traffic (except for Palm Bay) is very manageable and not overly congested;
Not as good as you think. I've seen a lot of congestion on US192 lately at random times and also the exits of f of I-95 into Viera/Wickham Rd.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 PM

644 posts, read 1,483,684 times
What's the best area for professional support services in Brevard County? Doctors, lawyers, good hospital, etc.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
What's the best area for professional support services in Brevard County? Doctors, lawyers, good hospital, etc.
Melbourne

Old 07-13-2013, 05:47 AM

2 posts, read 10,712 times
What's the best way to find good doctors in Brevard County? Which is the best hospital? I've heard that Vieira Hospital isn't fully staffed because it's so new. Which is the best medical "group"?

Old 07-13-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestewart View Post
What's the best way to find good doctors in Brevard County? Which is the best hospital? I've heard that Vieira Hospital isn't fully staffed because it's so new. Which is the best medical "group"?
Depends on what you're looking for. Health first is good for many things, but there are good independent physicians that practice too. Check the reviews
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County