U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 12:00 PM

20 posts, read 96,383 times

Advertisements

Hello. We have fallen in love with Cocoa Beach, and want to move somewhere within a close drive. We only want to spend about 125,000 for a house with 3 bedrooms. I have searched, and it is possible, but mostly in Palm Bay which I have read bad things about. It is huge town, and can't ALL be bad can it? Are there areas that are good? How about area 41? Does anyone know?
Also, I'd like my children to attend Freedom 7 elementary because my son is gifted and it sounds like a challenging school. Doe anyone have any experience with it? Also, is it very hard to get into?
Thanks,
Wendy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 07:58 AM

20 posts, read 96,383 times
Anyone?

Old 01-17-2009, 09:45 AM

621 posts, read 1,241,489 times
If you really like Cocoa Beach that much then I would establish a relationship with a realtor and have them look for a short sale or forclosure for you in your price range. Real estate is down in Cocoa like everywhere else and the deals are out there if you are willing to expend some effort. I would not live in Palm Bay. For the most part it is a big town with cheaper housing and not that much to offer a family. Crime is relatively high.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,962 times
Stay away from Freedom 7 is you have a child going into the 6th grade. The female teachers are bullies and the administration condones their behavior.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:25 PM

578 posts, read 1,675,480 times
I don't know a great deal about that area except what I have read. They are having some tax issues in that area because of all of the foreclosures and unemployment. I have read that there are a lot of cuts in services but who knows that may have changed. It is not an area that prone to the hurricanes but in recent years they have had their fair share of brush fires in the area.

You can write to the local Chamber of Commerce and research the news in the area on the internet and get information from local Realators but remember they do want to make sales.

I would say it is a great area given the location but if there is nothing there in the way of infrastructure you may end up paying higher taxes and getting less in return so do your research.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:57 PM

448 posts, read 1,400,573 times
We looked in the Cocoa area as well. Glad we found a home in Vero. We are only 15 minutes to Sebastian and the same to Vero Beach(coastal). Some parts of Cocoa are not the greatest. As in every city. I think the allure was the touristy party of the beach area and a bunch of things to do. As in Vero its a bit slower paced. But we like that. And we are not of the retirement age....yet

Good luck on your move. We spoke to several real estate agents. And looked at a bunch of homes. We initially wanted Space Coast and live in the Treasure Coast.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:48 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,330,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longing for the south View Post
Hello. We have fallen in love with Cocoa Beach, and want to move somewhere within a close drive. We only want to spend about 125,000 for a house with 3 bedrooms. I have searched, and it is possible, but mostly in Palm Bay which I have read bad things about. It is huge town, and can't ALL be bad can it? Are there areas that are good? How about area 41? Does anyone know?
Also, I'd like my children to attend Freedom 7 elementary because my son is gifted and it sounds like a challenging school. Doe anyone have any experience with it? Also, is it very hard to get into?
Thanks,
Wendy
Don't believe everything you read on hear about Palm Bay. Most of the bad things are being said by people who don't even and have never lived here. They probably attended rival high schools and have not moved on or they moved down from NY and hate that this area is not a clubbing area where they can stay out and party till 5 AM like back in the city. It is a city of families who care about their kids and their schools. Like the rest of Brevard county our schools rank high in the state. It is not the gangster city that so many try to make it into. Like any city of 100,000+ located on an interstate we get our share of crime, most of it related to South Florida residents coming up this way to shop lift, establish grow houses, etc. .
It is a residential area mostly just beginning to get better restaurants and shopping centers.
We have some great neighborhoods. We raised our sons here and even today, I really wouldn't be afraid to own a home in any area of the city. We really don't have a ghetto area like Melbourne or Cocoa. Neighborhoods are multi-cultural. There are areas where the houses are smaller, but generally still pretty well maintained and you will find neighbors are generally friendly.
The oldest section of the city(north East side) has homes built in the late 60s and into the late 70s. The North West has homes mostly built in the late 80s early 90s. The South East has homes mostly built in the late 80s - today. The southwest section is probably the less populated area and most houses out that way were built during and after the 1988-89 building surge. True, there are a lot of foreclosed homes, but most are speculators who were flipping trying to make a fast buck and got stuck with overpriced home and now can't afford to have several homes. The rest of us are making our payments every month, hoping things eventually get better. It has hurt us all because most of us owe more than the current worth of our homes. Our taxes have gone down but just a little. We really haven't lost police or fire protection, and our schools have not been forgotten. We actually have a couple new schools that just opened this year. The city is putting in water and sewer in areas and is repaving roads. Commercial buildings are still being built and new businesses are coming in.
I have lived in Palm Bay since 1976 and I probably would not choose to live anywhere else in Brevard except for right on the beach where I could walk out my door and walk everyday.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:41 PM

448 posts, read 1,400,573 times
I agree, not all homes are of foreclosure. We only looked at a few that were and decided against. We moved from Ohio, not NY, and avoided the housing "boom" of the years past. We do not have children in the high end schools. Our children are on their own and self sufficiant.
It was a simple thing, my husband traveled to FL for years. And through the years we have gotten to know the areas.

True, not all of Palm Bay is bad. Its like any other town. Every area has its ups and downs. We found several nice areas in Palm Bay. But they had well water. Not a choice for us. We don't mind well water for the sprinklers, but not for the household. Our choice.
We really liked a home in Grant....Well water. But with time,we found "our"dream home. Happens to be in Vero. Never did we think we would live in Vero. Granted its not beachside. Thank God. Wouldn't want the taxes

Home is what you make of it. Take all of the advice and sift through it. You will have so much tossed at you. We did. Good luck. Don't loose faith, the right area will come along. Just do your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>