Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:15 PM

19 posts, read 100,938 times

Advertisements

I feel kind of silly asking this because it may seem like a dumb question, but since it looks like my husband and I will be moving to the Melbourne area with our two young children, I was wondering if there are many alligators there. Especially beachside. Alligators are only freshwater, aren't they?

This came up because I had the following conversation with my dad:

Me: There's a great house right on a canal. Would there be alligators in there? I don't think the dog would like that.

Him: Alligators eat children. That's what you'll have to watch out for.

So now I'm kind of freaked out. I'd really appreciate someone cluing me in on the truth. Do I need to be concerned about alligators--or anything else--if we live on the water?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 12:25 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,182,141 times
On a canal anything is possible south of GA. Not to be an alarmist by any means. I have a relative in the area and gators are the least of his worries. Don't ever feed a gator is rule #1. Rule #2 even if you don't have a local gator in your backyard on a canal treat it like it has a 12 footer in it. Err on the side of safety. If you have a dog that likes to play in the water that's an accident waiting to happen on a FL canal in a lot of places. Not all but a lot. Being a native of many years I'm more afraid of crazy drivers than gators any day of the week. My 2¢.

Forgot about the beach ?. Yes they like the fresh water lakes, canals, creeks, ponds, & rivers. Once ever so often one will be spotted in saltwater but it is very rare. You normally here the shark talk about saltwater instead of gator worries.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 08-13-2008 at 01:09 PM..

Old 08-13-2008, 01:05 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,526,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
On a canal anything is possible south of GA. Not to be an alarmist by any means. I have a relative in the area and gators are the least of his worries. Don't ever feed a gator is rule #1. Rule #2 even if you don't have a local gator in your backyard on a canal treat it like it has a 12 footer in it. Err on the side of safety. If you have a dog that likes to play in the water that's an accident waiting to happen on a FL canal in a lot of places. Not all but a lot. Being a native of many years I'm more afraid of crazy drivers than gators any day of the week. My 2¢.
Have to agree with you on the gators, the main reason gators attack people is because they feed them and then associate people with food. I was told when I moved to FL always assume there are gators in a body of water. More afraid of crazy drivers like the Op stated than gators.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 PM

378 posts, read 1,646,784 times
My sister lives in Melbourne and has a lake behind her house which she has seen alligators in.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANLEY50 View Post
My sister lives in Melbourne and has a lake behind her house which she has seen alligators in.
If it helps anyone, I learned to swim in a man made lake with gators in it. School summer program supervised too. On the side of honesty none where more than probably 5-6 feet though. Gators are protected and seeing them crossing roads and in drainage ditches is really quite common.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:03 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,591,902 times
I saw one in our pond right off our lanai two weeks ago. We live on a golf course in Naples with a number of these "watertraps". It did not come out of the water, but I would guess the head must have been around 10 inches. My former neighbor has said he was seen them before and they have even come up sometimes on land. There are big drainage pipes under the water, so I don't know where it came from.

There are a lot of pretty big fish in these ponds. Do they eat fish? I know there are a lot of birds on the greens.

I plan never to leave my cats alone outside on the lanai anymore.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:07 PM

Here's a link to a gulf coast news story. You will be on the other coast so all should be well.

Woman finds 8-foot alligator in kitchen - Animal weirdness - MSNBC.com

Old 01-22-2009, 05:02 PM

40 posts, read 151,868 times
Umm..YES! It is Florida so there WILL be gators! I have lived in almost every corner of this state and there were gators everywhere i lived. Sorry to say it, but if you move to Fl you will have to be aware of this and just be cautious around water. I live in Viera (a newer part of Melbourne) now and have a pond out back with (yep! you guessed it!) Gators! They are probably around every golf course and in every pond, lake, stream, river, or swamp in Fl. They are most likely not all swarming out into the ocean to join the sharks, but can be found in brackish water, which is all around Melbourne thanks to the river. Good news is..i have lived in Fl almost my entire life and never had a problem with them. You just have to be aware that they may be around and keep pets & kids away from the water.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 AM

448 posts, read 1,464,996 times
we are looking for a home in the space coast, treasure coast area. And amazed at how many places have these "watertraps" or ponds. So its good to assume that they pretty much all have gators in them? Oftened wondered that. I is kinda detering us from purchasing a home near a pond, lake or canal.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 AM

13,254 posts, read 22,650,364 times
If a body of water is bigger than a two car garage, it's a gator habitat. But as long as you don't feed them, they really don't have much interest in people- we're too big to make for an easy meal. Gator attacks on humans are far rarer than shark attacks, which are very rare to begin with.

I just wouldn't swim let a medium or small dog swim in their territory, but beyond that they're not particularly dangerous to people going about the activites of everyday life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
View detailed profiles of: