Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 04:26 PM

31 posts, read 197,730 times

Advertisements

we are thinking about buying a home on merritt island,we're from jersey.are there hospitals,stores,restaurants,on the island or do you have go into melbourne.we would appreciate any all info about the area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 04:32 PM

54 posts, read 329,363 times
i'm from long island also thinking about moving to the area, have friends who live there and love it. there are all kinds of shops there although you do have to get in your car and drive. heard the schools are good compared to other parts of fl homes seem pretty affordable as well as taxes. good luck

Old 03-16-2007, 08:19 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,889,547 times
Thumbs up love it

I love that area too. I never lived IN Merritt Island but lived in Cocoa and Cape Canaveral and Merritt Island is where the restaurants and shops would be around there. 'It is more expensive to rent in Merritt Island which is why I never lived there. They did recently opened a SuperWalmart close to 524 in Cocoa though, but merritt island has one too. It's just not as new.

There are some very nice shops on the far north side of Melbourne (Viera) with The Melting Pot restaurant, Ross, Belk, a large movie theatre. If you feel like a little day out, it's not a long drive. Merritt Island has a shopping mall but it's big, but the movie theatre if fairly new. Hospitals- there is Cape Canaveral Hospital which is actually right in between Canaveral and Merritt Island which is a Health First hosptial, or there is Wuesthoff Hospital in Rockledge just South of Cocoa which is only about 15 minutes drive depending on what part of Merritt Island you live on. If you cut through Cocoa Village(very cute area- try Village Cappuccino), you save alot of time.

I think it would be a great move. Merritt Island is my idea of Florida if you're not at the beach. You;re still surrounded by water and is very tropical with lots of mature florida foliage around if you're driving through alot of neighborhoods.

Good Luck

Old 03-28-2007, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 10,459 times
Default Merritt Island

I am also thinking of moving to Merritt Island. I would like to get some info. on realestate tax and homeowners insurance. Appreciate any help. Thanks

Old 04-01-2007, 10:06 AM

149 posts, read 700,146 times
salny:

Looks like the millage rate varies from 15-20 depending on location, meaning if your home is assessed at $1mil you will pay $15-20k in real estate tax. As soon as you buy register for the homestead exemption, which I believe will limit further property tax increases by 3% per year (can anyone verify this?). As for HOI (wind,etc), it will be approx 1% of your home value if you live on the coast (approx $10k per year for a $1mil home).

Certainly not cheap.

KR

Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 PM

28 posts, read 146,330 times
Smile Oldie From Long Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoe View Post
we are thinking about buying a home on merritt island,we're from jersey.are there hospitals,stores,restaurants,on the island or do you have go into melbourne.we would appreciate any all info about the area...
Merrit is beautiful but paradise has it's price. Being on the water can cost you big time in insurance and taxes. Maybe our new gov will fix that? In the mean time check out the Melbourne area. Lot's of inventory, good prices.
Send me a PM. I'm in the business, I can answer your questions

Old 07-20-2008, 05:15 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,531,736 times
In terms of property it appears a home on the water that would cost you 400K 2 years ago can now be had for, I think, around 250. At least that is what we are surmising [my parents lived in MI from 1967 - 2007 and move up with us in SC after mom had a stroke] T

hey are sitting on a house on wide canal directly on Sykes creek {they are 2 houses from being directly on the creek, and have a fabulous view) and the market is dismal [not on market yet, trying to figure out what to do but insurance is cancelling on them [the policy they have had since 1975 with ZERO claims]

Old 11-10-2008, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 9,493 times
Default your sykes creek house

we are probably returning to merritt island, we've been gone quite a while, 10 years, but looking forward to living there again.

tell me about your house and if you've done anything with it, we may not be in teh market to purchase for several months because we have 27 acres and a 5,000 sq ft house to sell in ky, however, i'm happy to look at it, love sykes creek.

maraline

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
In terms of property it appears a home on the water that would cost you 400K 2 years ago can now be had for, I think, around 250. At least that is what we are surmising [my parents lived in MI from 1967 - 2007 and move up with us in SC after mom had a stroke] T

hey are sitting on a house on wide canal directly on Sykes creek {they are 2 houses from being directly on the creek, and have a fabulous view) and the market is dismal [not on market yet, trying to figure out what to do but insurance is cancelling on them [the policy they have had since 1975 with ZERO claims]

Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,749,106 times
Everything you need is right on Merritt island. It's a great place, I used to go there a lot when I lived in Rockledge just across the bridge a little south of Cocoa.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 15,879 times
I live on Sykes Creek in Merritt Island. Bought the house last year, not on the canal. Canal homes are more expensive than the 225K I paid. More like 350K. My taxes $3800, had to have flood (another $400)insurance and home owners insurance $2000/ yr. Expensive, but nice. Real close to Merritt Island Mall
(with JCPenneys, Sears, Macy's, Dillards, and Sears) and restaurants like The Outback, LongHorn, Red Lobster, Carrabba's, Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesdays, and Friday's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County